• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

25 URL Limit

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
When doing posts like this TdF post, I've had to limit and edit out URLs, because the forum won't allow more than 25 in one post. Is there any earthly reason for having a limit like that? I can't imagine it helps combat spam, as the number of URLs in one post is hardly the problem. Conserving server resources perhaps? But even simple caching would alleviate that.

So, is there a reason for not having at least a higher limit like 100 or 200? It would certainly help ambitious posters if it was increased. Thanks for reading :)

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah seems like nobody in the know can enlighten us... Anyway, in phpBB's Administration Control Panel, there's supposedly a section called "Post[ing] Settings", in which there's an option called Maximum links per post. This is probably set to 25 for arbitrary reasons. Haven't found anything about it being relevant to spam, security, performance or much anything else. If this is set to 0 i.e. zero, it will allow for unlimited links. Any board admin should be able to make this change. Links between sites is kind of what the web is about... They're not dangerous. Oh and the Rider thread directory is another example of a thread that could sure use some links. Let's hope for the best, eh!

Re:

Praying Mantis said:
Yeah seems like nobody in the know can enlighten us... Anyway, in phpBB's Administration Control Panel, there's supposedly a section called "Post[ing] Settings", in which there's an option called Maximum links per post. This is probably set to 25 for arbitrary reasons. Haven't found anything about it being relevant to spam, security, performance or much anything else. If this is set to 0 i.e. zero, it will allow for unlimited links. Any board admin should be able to make this change. Links between sites is kind of what the web is about... They're not dangerous. Oh and the Rider thread directory is another example of a thread that could sure use some links. Let's hope for the best, eh!
There's different levels of board administrator on this forum. The administrators with all the power work for the website.

I'm not sure I have the access to that particular function but I'll take a look. I've used the admin functions a lot and haven't seen the ability to change URL links per post.

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Irondan! Yes I'm not sure the option is even there anymore, the phpBB docs are anything but clear. If it isn't, it might be found as a configuration option in a database field or text file that the devs can get to, because it's clearly in effect. Anyway, nice if you can get it changed, if not, oh well!

I know that it has taken quite a lot of time to get the 25 url limit raised, but it's now higher. I set it at 50 url's limit but can raise it higher if there's a compelling reason to do so. I know that you need the higher URL limit for creating your fantastic Grand Tour race thread topics, which I hope you continue to do in the 2017 season. If you need the limit set higher, please let me know.

Cheers

Edit: I just re-read the OP for this thread and noticed that you originally asked for at least 100 or 200 urls for the limit, I'll raise it to 100 for now and let's see how that works.

TRENDING THREADS