• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

3 days to go; Teams with no Stage Wins

With Cav/Tadej/Bahrain gobbling up everyhing so far, the following (15, by my count) teams have no stage wins to this point. I'm including their (IMO) best chance of breaking that duck with the 3 days left. Who, if any, will bag their win in the final 3 days?

TeamRider with best chanceWhich stageHow
IneosG or CastroTTTT
ISNGreipel or Zabel LibourneSneak into the break, and everyone forgets they can sprint
MovistarCortina or ErvitiLibourneBreak
FDJKungTTTT
CofidisSomebody, anybodyLibourneBreak
EFValgren/Cort LibourneFrom the break
Arkea SamsicSwiftLibourneBreak
DSMPedersenLibourneProbably from the break, but possibly a late attack.
LottoDe Gendt/van MoerLibourneLong-range attack and Quickstep drop the ball
BEXMezgecChamps ElyseesEveryone (including QS) assumes he's leading out Matthews, but he sneaks off the front
AstanaLutsenkoTTTT
Qhubeka-NexthashWalscheidChamps ElyseesManages to pull off a big sprint
Team TotalEnergiesSee Cofidis
Intermarche-Wanty Groupe GobertBakelantsLibourneFrom the break; everyone else looks at each other to chase.
B&B HotelsBonnamourLibourneFrom the break.

Reactions: BlueRoads
I love that you cannot find anything to say about Wanty, and neither do I.

You don't remember Danny van Poppel's rousing fifth place on stage 13?

I dunno ..seeing a Wanty jersey suddenly among the breakaway just as i switch on the race that day reminds me of Santambrogia...i thought i was watching my beloved II Giro 12/13 again. It is because Wanty Jerseys reminds me of Santambrogia in his heyday with Vini sella italia. Yes, i know, they are nothing alike

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
TBF, Lotto built their whole Tour around Ewan, and didn't have a backup sprinter when he crashed out. They were kinda screwed at that point, and vanMoer did go on a break one day.
Not all their riders were there to help Ewan though. Van Moer we saw, props to him. But guys like De Gendt, nearly invisible, and Gilbert, completely invisible, aren't really the guys to help Ewan all that much.

Not all their riders were there to help Ewan though. Van Moer we saw, props to him. But guys like De Gendt, nearly invisible, and Gilbert, completely invisible, aren't really the guys to help Ewan all that much.

De Gendt is almost always in a serving role when he's not in a breakaway. He's there to pull the bunch for kilometers. Tim Declercq style.
And apparently not good enough to go in breakaways this tour. This was probably his last tour.
Gilbert, meh. Too old I'm afraid.

I love that you cannot find anything to say about Wanty, and neither do I.
Jan Bakelants was in the break on stage 16, the last to hold Konrad's wheel on Portet d'Aspet.

... and vanMoer did go on a break one day.
Brent van Moert was in 2 big breakaways and was close winning one of them: stage 4 (who doesn't remember?) and stage 7 (together with Mohoric for a long time).

That's not entirely true of course. They were also hoping for Søren Kragh Andersen (2 stage wins last year) and Tiesj Benoot to steal a stage, but both crashed out.
Even after that, they never really did anything to try. Last year there was a solid coordination to their attacks, especially in the final 40km of medium stages, to set up Kragh's wins, and also Hirschi's. They put men up the road, had others bridging to attacks; it was some really impressive racing, as well as giving Bol a couple of sprint opportunities.

This time around they could only get Pedersen into today's break, and that's about all they've done for 3 weeks. Their best rider on GC is Donovan, in 40th.

Kung might be the last rider to realistically have a chance to turn that 15 into 14 tomorrow, although I doubt it will happen.
Bisseger?

Ronan McLaughlin on the Cyclingtips podcast said the other day that if the mid-stage riders in the TT had the same weather as the top 10, the stage results would have been different. He reckoned, on the ground, that the difference was that big. So we’ll see if those guys can turn it around, or if they’re worn out from surviving the mountains.

TRENDING THREADS