• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

36" wheels

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
For the last 18 months this bike has been on my mind.
black_sheep_zamer_36er_1.jpg

black-sheep-zamer-36er.jpg

images

It's a ZAMer built by Black sheep http://www.blacksheepbikes.com/
From what I can work out the rims are built for unicycles (http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-hardware/rims-and-custom-wheelsets/26-29-36-inch-rims/nimbus-stealth-impulse-rim/) but I don't know much more ? Has anyone ever ridden a bicycle (as opposed to a uni) with 36 inch wheels ? What's it like to change directions? Looks like you could ride over anything, I did see a clip on youtube of a 36" bike riding up stairs. Any comments?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Never ridden such wheels, but i imagine it will be feeling quite bulky in corners. Accelleration wont be great but once up to speed those wheels will roll over evrything. Looks are strange on this one though.

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
It looks like a bone shaker

What is the tubing for forward of the front forks? I presume its to assist with leverage for the steering.

Not my cup of tea.

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
ksmith said:
It looks like a bone shaker

What is the tubing for forward of the front forks? I presume its to assist with leverage for the steering.

Not my cup of tea.

believe it or not it's suspension, it's a Blacksheep design they use it on most of their off road bikes.
About the frame and fork: Beautiful TIG welded titanium of course. As you can see from the pictures, the ZAMer sports the Black Sheep patented truss design. The fork is 1″ diameter tubing coupled to a 5/8″ diameter “truss.” This truss design helps distribute forces from the top and bottom of the head tube which in turn eliminates brake chatter. The crown race of the fork is the spot receiving the most stress, so Bleakley designed the truss to reinforce this high-stress area. Because titanium is a very flexy material (high modulus of elasticity) the fork and truss design offer approximately 50 millimeters of “travel,” without having to employ air, oil, elastomers, hydraulics, etc. No shock pump, overhaul, or greasing, ever. Pretty nice. I say approximately because it’s virtually impossible to measure exactly how much travel the fork/truss provides. Well, it might be possible, but I couldn’t calculate it, looks like it might need some calculus. Rest in Peace Sheldon Brown.

More info on the ZAMer from the NAHMBS 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlsI4p0qrZY

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Rode a bike with 36" wheels on Friday night !!

It's 'Carnival le' up here in Port Douglas for the next two weeks. It all kicked off with a street parade on Friday night, lot's of floats and dancing....then I spied it..a 36" bike being ridden by a clown :D..I asked him "is that a 36" wheel?" , he said "yes"..I asked what it was like to ride as i was thinking of getting one and he said I could take it for a ride !!:D

First it was really heavy, no way of getting around that point..the tyres were like some kind on heavy duty industrial job..old school heavy and this must be an issue with this wheel. The bike felt super cool to ride, turning felt a bit 'flip flop' but from the short ride I took down Macrossan Street it felt like a dream bike for cruising on the flat and less technical stuff..I felt I could have ridden over anything:D just invincible.

Now ' Black Sheep; make the Zamer frame from titanium...and surely some one makes better lighter tyres....

This isn't over by a long shot !!

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
ksmith said:
Probably to keep the fork from flexing too much. With long blades and gobs of rake to accommodate those big wheels, it must flex a lot without the braces.

I dunno. It's something I'd like to try.

TRENDING THREADS