• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

40th Giro del Trentino 19.04 - 22.04

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Forget about the Ardennes, I'm really hyped about the Giro del Trentino.
The route:
Stage 1 (TTT) - Riva › Torbole (12.1k)
Stage 2 - Arco › Anras (220k)
Stage 3 - Sillian › Mezzolombardo (204.6k)
Stage 4 - Malè › Cles (160.9k)

Stage 1:
Stage-1459194970.png

Stage 2:
Stage-1459194473.png

The final climb
Stage-1459194755.jpg

Stage 3:
Stage-1459194480.jpg

Stage-1459194720.jpg

Stage-1459194724.jpg

Stage 4:
Final_GC-1459194489.jpg

The final climb
Final_GC-1459194647.jpg

The startlist

A few words about the field, the big teams are Astana, Sky and AG2R. Both Sky and Astana have a really strong team to support their leaders, AG2R on the other hand comes with 3 potential leader, Bardet, Pozzovivo and Peraud.
The Italian NT gives guys like Finetto and Wackermann a chance to ride the race Androni comes with a strong trio of climbers, Pellizotti, Torres and Bernal, that's a lot of firepower for the mountains and I'm curious to see how Bernal will do here.
Bardiani bring a strong team built around Pirazzi and Colbrelli, you might know that I'm a bg fan of their young climbing talent Giulio Ciccone, a strong neopro who already showed his talent as an U23 rider.
Gazprom bring a very solid team, they could be a darkhorse for the TTT, the winner of Coppi e Bartali Sergey Firsanov should be their team leader.
Nippo Vini Fantini are bringing Cunego and Bole, but Cunego's form is a bit of a question mark.
Southeast are bringing a pretty weak team, they really should have resigned Monsalve.
Last year Bora-Argon 18 beat Sky in the TTT, but this time they're bringing lots of climbers, Nerz, Buchmann, Konrad, Mühlberger and Cesare Benedetti for the hilly stages. Jose Menes was 6th on the GC in 2015, but if form is a question mark, he had a bad crash in the Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana.
Caja Rural are bringing a great team with Prades, Madrazo, Pardilla and the young british climbing sensation Hugh Carthy.
d'Amico - Bottecchia are bringing Luis Mora, a 21 year old rider from Venezuela who won the youth classification of the Vuelta a Tachira and finished 11th on gc, he could be an interesting prospect.
Skydive Dubai are bringing Palini and Santaromita and the strongman Maher Hasnaoui.
The Brazilian NT could be pretty interesting, they are bringing mighty Kleber Ramos and two interesting young guys from Funvic. The first one is João Gaspar, born in 1992, in 2015 he already rode for Funvic as a stagiaire (correct me if I'm wrong) and finished 2nd on the queenstage of the Tour de Rio, ahead of Oscar Sevilla and Gustavo Cesar Veloso, that's impressive. :D The 2nd one is Murilo Affonso, born in 1991, 1,75 m tall
and 63 kg heavy, the winner of the 2016 Volta Ciclistica Internacional do Rio Grande do Sul (ahead of his teammate Kleber Ramos). I don't know if the Funvic guys will be able to perform in Europe, but it should be an fun race to watch, the race is going to be live on Rai Sport.

Never watched this race. The route looks great, Forcella de Brez seems really hard and isn't Paganello in the Giro this year as well? Also looks like a goodie.

Hoping for a Giro preview between Landa and Nibs + Bardet. Would really like to see Bardet win Liege.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Ruudz0r said:
luckyboy said:
How many stage wins for Bernal?

Probably 5

I am really curious how he will go here and a stage win is certainly possible (not easy of course) but first lets see how he will do in Appennino today should be good for him too!

The duo Torres-Bernal will smash the field! :eek:

this has Firsanov written all over it

and yes, it will be aired live again by the way :)

Giro del Trentino Melinda’s broadcasters:
RaiSport (Italy) - Live and Delayed
Eleven Sports (Belgium and Poland) - Live and Delayed
Bike Channel UK (United Kingdom) - Live and Delayed
TV2 (Denmark) - Live
Fox Sports (Turkey, Cyprus, Malta, Greece, Israel) - Live
L’Equipe 21 (France) - Live
ESPN (Brazil, South America) - Live
ORF (Austria) - Highlights
EBU (Europe, 60 Associates) - Highlights
Cycling.TV (Web, USA and Canada) - Live
Laola1.tv (Web, Countries not covered by exclusive rights) - Live

Giro del Trentino Melinda Live Production Schedule:
Tuesday April 19th - Stage 1: Riva del Garda – Torbole: 15.00 – 16.30
Wednesday April 20th - Stage 2: Arco – Anras: 13.00 – 14.30
Thursday April 21st - Stage 3: Sillian – Mezzolombardo: 15.00 – 16.30
Friday April 22nd - Stage 4: Malè – Cles: 15.00 – 16.30

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

search said:
this has Firsanov written all over it

TV2 (Denmark) - Live

Giro del Trentino Melinda Live Production Schedule:
Tuesday April 19th - Stage 1: Riva del Garda – Torbole: 15.00 – 16.30
Wednesday April 20th - Stage 2: Arco – Anras: 13.00 – 14.30
Thursday April 21st - Stage 3: Sillian – Mezzolombardo: 15.00 – 16.30
Friday April 22nd - Stage 4: Malè – Cles: 15.00 – 16.30
I never realized that Firsanov is actually a rather small guy (172cm and 58kg), he rides like a strong rouleur and on the Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali stage that he won he was grinding a huge gear on the final ramp, like a Russian Honchar.

Re:

search said:

TV2 (Denmark) - Live
What? The Austrian Television shows cycling? Will it just be occupational therapy for the ORF sport commentators or did Austria really reach a point where the people care about this sport again.
Rollthedice said:
The first showdown.

nibali-landa.jpg
Am I the only one who gets absolutely hyped by just seeing this one picture. Why do I still have to wait 2.5 weeks for the giro. :(

TRENDING THREADS