• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

$45,000 carbon fiber 10-speed bike weighs just 6 pounds

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
$45,000 carbon fiber 10-speed bike weighs just 6 pounds

Fairwheel bikes made in Tuscon Arizona, it’s a simple looking ten-speed made almost entirely of carbon fiber making it weight just six pounds!

Aside from that gawd awful chainring, it's actually a pretty machine.

But what's with the downtube (more on the headtube it appears) friction shifters? On a 45K bike?

Even if I had money coming out my ears, I'd feel like a hose for plinking down that kind of $$ on a bicycle.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Interesting article; but, really, I fault it for only commenting on half of the true riding experience. Obviously, the guy who gladly drops $45,000 on his climbing bike can also easily afford to have his full-time support car and chauffeur on every ride with one ultra-aero road frame on the roof for flat riding and another super-handling, ultra-grippy, fast-breaking powerhouse for descending. The support car leaves plenty of room for spare tubular tire/rim setups waiting to go, extra clothing, food, and bottles. Certainly, to focus only on the extremes of climbing to the exclusion of all other aspects of the $100,000 riding experience leaves too much unsaid.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Guttercat said:
Aside from that gawd awful chainring, it's actually a pretty machine.

But what's with the downtube (more on the headtube it appears) friction shifters? On a 45K bike?

Downshifters are lighter than STI style setups. Old technology, but if your only goal is weight, downshifters are the way to go.

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
ergmonkey said:
Interesting article; but, really, I fault it for only commenting on half of the true riding experience. Obviously, the guy who gladly drops $45,000 on his climbing bike can also easily afford to have his full-time support car and chauffeur on every ride with one ultra-aero road frame on the roof for flat riding and another super-handling, ultra-grippy, fast-breaking powerhouse for descending. The support car leaves plenty of room for spare tubular tire/rim setups waiting to go, extra clothing, food, and bottles. Certainly, to focus only on the extremes of climbing to the exclusion of all other aspects of the $100,000 riding experience leaves too much unsaid.

Funny post. :)

I don't begrudge people who have money, not at all. But I'd like to think that if 45K was chump change to me, I'd spend it on something or someone or some endeavor more worthwhile in the grand scheme of things.

Still, pretty bike.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have a friend who built up some wheels with titanium spokes--they had to be pretty much completely re-trued after every ride. Still, I suppose if you can afford that bike, you can afford to have your own private mechanic to take care of it.

TRENDING THREADS