• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

62° Giro della Provincia di Reggio - Challenge Calabria 11-12 Feb 2012

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dazed and Confused said:
Don't think its a bad thing to get some of these races removed from the calendar, if we can get something better in return. Perhaps places such a Italy needs to look into reducing the number of races and instead make whats left better with superior TV and ticker coverge. Sponsors simply doesn't get anything out of a race like the one we have today. Its almost like a club race.

I didn't know it was possible to disagree with somebody as vehemently as I do right now.

Italy has probably the best TV and ticker coverage for its domestic scene, or has had in recent years. If even they can't sustain it, then the sport is looking at going down the toilet in those countries that it's going to need when the whole globalisation drive results in the inevitable segregation of haves and have nots, and the races end up like F1 events, with no fans in government-sponsored white elephants serving up sterile racing while the soul of the sport lies in club racing and lower tier events that have been orphaned from the top echelon that they're supposed to be building people up for.

Libertine Seguros said:
I didn't know it was possible to disagree with somebody as vehemently as I do right now.

Italy has probably the best TV and ticker coverage for its domestic scene, or has had in recent years. If even they can't sustain it, then the sport is looking at going down the toilet in those countries that it's going to need when the whole globalisation drive results in the inevitable segregation of haves and have nots, and the races end up like F1 events, with no fans in government-sponsored white elephants serving up sterile racing while the soul of the sport lies in club racing and lower tier events that have been orphaned from the top echelon that they're supposed to be building people up for.

Hear, hear. Couldn't agree more.
Italy has by far the best domestic coverage and widespread calender.
Only Belgium is comparable, but thins out in the second half of the season.

I don't know what some folks expect of these very early season, warm up races.

Next, they'll be running down next week's Trofea Laigueglia; calling it weak.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

Spot on, as always.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Looks like Viviani won by several bike lengths. That kid will undoubtedly collect many victories this season!

Depends how much racing he actually does on the road - think he's targeting the track at the Olympics? Which will rule him out for that and a couple of weeks in March (for the Worlds). Don't forget that he's "only" beating Colli and Favilli here too.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
will10 said:
Don't forget that he's "only" beating Colli and Favilli here too.

+1

He can get a fair share of victories in the italian circuit this year, but so far I'm more interested as to when/if Liquigas will push him to take the leap to an higher standard. Last year's Tour of Beijing and USPCC were good test. Let's see some more.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Where's My Sippy Cup? said:
RCS indicated today that the Giro will be televised live worldwide this year. Does anyone know which network will broadcast it in the U.S.?

Not sure, but will they advertise it as the 4th Grand Tour and that one day it could surpasse the Tour de Levi as the 3rd?

Break of the day: Davide Ricci Bitti (Farnese Selle Italia), Vegard Stake Laengen (Team Type - Sanofi), Paolo Bailetti (Utensilnord Named), Hideto Nakane (Team Nippo), Enrico Rossi (Meridiana Kamen Team).

Interesting that Laengen is in the breakaway yet again. Pretty impressive to get into 2/2 breakaways in his first stage race as a professional. They won't stay away though.

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Pantano and Chaves attacked on the climb San'Elia. Leading group is 1'19" ahead of two Colombians and 2'20" ahead of peleton. 51km to the finish.