• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

63a Vuelta a Colombia 2013 - Sun, June 9 to Sun, 23 (landmark)

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Going up in El Trigo (cat1) Sevilla, Ortega, Montaña and Calderón ahead
3Km to the KOM
Largo (2nd OA) group at 45"
Baez at 1:06 alone
Millan (leader) group at 1:54

This is the case when cyclists make the race hard rather than design

looking good for babyface but mauricio ortega is such a beast too

BNN9goXCAAA83fx.jpg

So let summarize it: After the sprint (giving 3 sec bonus for Sevilla and 2 for Ortega) the 4 ahead surrendered to the second group with Largo. It also allowed for Ortega to get a number of teammates (5 I think).
And Aguardiente Antioqueño put the effort to knock out Millan... Now the leader group is losing around 6 minutes.
Luis Largo will be the new leader, Ortega, Sevilla, Cano, Parra complete the top 5....
Let's see the sprint which also carries 10, 6 and 4 sec bonuses (I think Felix Cárdenas and Sanchez are there as well)

If yesterday was the bad day for Millán, today is Largo's. So it becomes Ortega vs Sevilla vs Cano vs Parra, all in less than a minute in GC.

BTW, Millán is leading today with 20 Km to go. it's a long and easy descent into Medellín. Then the finish line is close but it has a short uphill right before the end.

yep crazy how things change in vuelta a colombia

JonathanMillanVcol13GWEtapa12Medellinx720.jpg

Etapa 12
1 Jonathan Millán (GW-Shimano) 4:29:47

2 Oscar Pachón (Formesán-Bogotá Humana) a 5 seg.

3 Wilson Cepeda (Movistar) a 9 seg.

4 Félix Cárdenas (Formesán-Bogotá Humana) a 11 seg.

5 Oscar Sevilla (Epm-Une) a 14 seg.

6 Luis Felipe Laverde (Coldeportes-Claro) a 15 seg.

7 Mauricio Ortega (Aguardiente Antioqueño) a 16 seg.

8 Alex Cano (Aguardiente Antioqueño) a 16 seg.

9 Jair Pérez (Indeportes Boyacá) a 16 seg.

10 Alejandro Ramírez (Aguardiente Antioqueño) a 18 seg.

Clasificación General Individual
1 Mauricio Ortega (Aguardiente Antioqueño)

2 Oscar Sevilla (Epm-Une) a 3 seg.

3 Alex Cano (Aguardiente Antioqueño) a 33 seg.

4 Ivan Parra (Formesán-Bogotá Humana) a 45 seg.

5 Alvaro Gómez (Néctar de Cundinamarca) a 1:48

6 Felix Cárdenas (Formesán-Bogotá Humana) a 2:04

7 Alejandro Ramírez (Aguardiente Antioqueño) 2:28

8 Jonathan Millán (GW-Shimano) a 2:29

9 Jair Pérez (Indeportes Boyacá) a 2:40

10 Luis Felipe Laverde (Coldeportes-Claro) a 3:31

ortega-sevillla is like froome-contador only better :p

geez i feel santa helena will be a tremendous show

Sevilla has won almost if not all TTs in the national calendar.

I'd think Cano can be more of a treat than Ortega for the TT, or even Ivan Parra if he still has some of his previous TT skills.
But Cano will need at least 1:30 and Ortega anywhere between 2 and 3 minutes. (I wasn't able to find a reference for Parra).

Libertine Seguros said:
What do you mean 'barring' disaster? It's arguably more of a disaster that he will win.
I'm objectively commenting the race as I see. He has the best chances of winning the race. Only a fall, a mechanical or a "Cadel's day" will prevent him from winning.

Now if you ask my preferences, I'd love to see someone from Antioquia winning but that's pretty unlikely.

Sevilla would be the 4th foreigner to win Vuelta a Colombia after the "Josés" (Beyaert, Gomez del Moral and Rujano).

And getting close to the end we can start discussing what happened there: The "old" guys with international experience had an advantage over the youngsters, especially when the most talented didn't compete.

Jonathan Millán is the guy making the best impression.

I didn't like the route design. Nor like I the TV broadcast.

I really want at least 2 Colombian races in the UCI calendar. In my opinion the Vuelta a Colombia could be part of the world tour (probably with different dates, closer to San Luis), or at least 2.HC. And Clasico RCN as 2.1.

Gotta give Babyface credit for the way he raced up until this last stage - he knows he ain't that good to keep up with the relentless attacks, so he hid quite cleverly until the final selection was made on the last 3 stages - I personally would have loved to have Cano as a winner - but thats the way it goes...

TRENDING THREADS