• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

72nd Omloop Het Nieuwsblad (02/03-2019) - 200 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stybar deserved victory. Chose the perfect moment to attack.

Van Avermaet looked a bit too eager to me. But as fastest in the group he is forced to react to everything anyway. Perhaps he hoped to make a smaller selection on the Bosberg, but he couldn't drop the others. Always hard to control a group of 5.

Otherwise a lot of not so hot contenders. But it's still early March ofcourse..

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Great win!

Who's laughing now?!

2297294_.jpg

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Vanmarcke is the biggest question mark to me. He's normally very good here and he looked in shape earlier in the season, but was dropped like a stone today.

Van Aert had no racing days (on the road) before today so a bit of rust could be expected.

And what about Valgren? Never seen him today.

Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Vanmarcke is the biggest question mark to me. He's normally very good here and he looked in shape earlier in the season, but was dropped like a stone today.

Van Aert had no racing days (on the road) before today so a bit of rust could be expected.

Apparently Vanmarcke and Vermote got sick.

GenericBoonenFan said:
SafeBet said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Apparently Vanmarcke and Vermote got sick.

Valgren had also been sick.

Happy for Stybar. Him and Greg were the strongest by far but I think Benoot would have definitely made the cut as well.
Some riders (Stuyven, Vanmarcke, Valgren) what happened? I was on Bosberg, Stuyven was riding with a very dark face and Gilbert spat on my mates jeans! Great day out here
Congratulations to you Scarponi

Re:

Emotional Cobble Guy said:
Happy for Stybar. Him and Greg were the strongest by far but I think Benoot would have definitely made the cut as well.
Some riders (Stuyven, Vanmarcke, Valgren) what happened? I was on Bosberg, Stuyven was riding with a very dark face and Gilbert spat on my mates jeans! Great day out here
Congratulations to you Scarponi

Valgren has been ill the past week.

SafeBet said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Yeah a lot have good explanations. And a lot of riders got sick, especially the ones racing in Algarve apparently.

Van Aert actually surprised me even though he was dropped later on. He had indeed no race days and came off a rocky CX season. He will be fine in april I guess.

Very enjoyable race. Stybar totally deserved that one. Always close to the front on the hills, reacting to the right moves and of course timing that ultimate attack very well. But all of this is much easier when you have great legs obviously.

GVA did what he had to do, which was try to thin out the group as much as possible on the hills, and after the Bosberg, counter every move immediately. Stybar was just a little bit stronger, simple as that.

Some conclusions:

- Sagan's team is looking very good with Oss and Drücker. GVA's team doesn't.
- Trek absolutely horrible.
- Pleasant surprise: Dylan Teuns.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
SafeBet said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Yeah a lot have good explanations. And a lot of riders got sick, especially the ones racing in Algarve apparently.

Van Aert actually surprised me even though he was dropped later on. He had indeed no race days and came off a rocky CX season. He will be fine in april I guess.

Not sure about that at all. He didn't look good. Basically what he's looked like all winter. I hope he can still turn things around but for now it looks like MVDP will smoke him on the road as well.

TRENDING THREADS