• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

74. Tour de Pologne (2.UWT), July 29 - August 4

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Teuns won that race for two reasons: (1) Tejay. (2) his chief opponents stopping and looking at each other after they'd dropped him in BOTH of the last two stages.

The rest of them got what they deserved. They were stronger than the leader. They dropped the leader. They stopped riding and let the leader back. Then they did the same again the next day. Doing it the first time was bad enough but failing to learn and doing the same again the next day was just disgraceful stupidity.
Its too easy to armchair QB it. You could see they were on the limit when they got away and those situations are always hard in a race, its not as easy as you make it out to be.

It's not a complicated situation. If the leader doesn't stay gapped, none of them win. The only reason for any of the leaders not to pull and instead look at each other was an unjustified complete confidence that Teuns was dead and that therefore the only relevant opponents were in the group. That was an extremely rash decision to make once, given Teuns clearly demonstrated form and the already demonstrated strength of Van Gaarderen. Making that decision two stages in a row was beyond rash and right into idiot territory. He'd already shown them what would happen one day earlier!

I agree with you that it's easy to slate riders for getting a judgment call wrong, but "the yellow jersey is behind and I need him to stay there" is a pretty basic tactical issue.

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Valv.Piti said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Teuns won that race for two reasons: (1) Tejay. (2) his chief opponents stopping and looking at each other after they'd dropped him in BOTH of the last two stages.

The rest of them got what they deserved. They were stronger than the leader. They dropped the leader. They stopped riding and let the leader back. Then they did the same again the next day. Doing it the first time was bad enough but failing to learn and doing the same again the next day was just disgraceful stupidity.
Its too easy to armchair QB it. You could see they were on the limit when they got away and those situations are always hard in a race, its not as easy as you make it out to be.

It's not a complicated situation. If the leader doesn't stay gapped, none of them win. The only reason for any of the leaders not to pull and instead look at each other was an unjustified complete confidence that Teuns was dead and that therefore the only relevant opponents were in the group. That was an extremely rash decision to make once, given Teuns clearly demonstrated form and the already demonstrated strength of Van Gaarderen. Making that decision two stages in a row was beyond rash and right into idiot territory. He'd already shown them what would happen one day earlier!

I agree with you that it's easy to slate riders for getting a judgment call wrong, but "the yellow jersey is behind and I need him to stay there" is a pretty basic tactical issue.

I wrote yesterday that it would be amusing if they let Jungels do that today and Jungels won the stage. Well, it was even worse than that :eek:

Very good parcours. Extremely hilly without being mountainous. Plenty of room for attacks.

The stage with a slightly easier version of Mur De Huy + the two last stages have been great. One of the best stages races this year along with Paris-Nice.

Oh, thanks Majka for continuing Valverde's legacy. You earned your arbitrary 3rd place in Vuelta. His attack on the last ascent was very hard, but that was basically it for his race. Dylan Teuns was very weird. Maybe he lost touch before not because of his lack of strength or he has an unususally rapid recovery. I applause Poels, even if he looks more and more like Froome at times. At least he tried to do something and actually used his teammate.

TRENDING THREADS