• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

75th La Fleche Wallonne 201km Wednesday April20nd 2011

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Boonen is the only cyclist I could find that my girlfriend thought was even a bit attractive. They all seem a bit weird looking.

You actually played that game with your girlfriend? With some sort of cyclist catalogue? :)

Weirdo.

Buffalo Soldier said:
Not sure if these times are correct, found them somewhere on the internet:

Kim Kirchen: 3'02"
Davide Rebellin: 2'46"
Cadel Evans: 2'45"
Philippe Gilbert: 2'42"

Also, for the whole race:
Kirchen: 4h 35' 29"
Rebellin: 4h 42' 15"
Evans: 4h 29' 24"
Gilbert: 4h 54' 57"

More or less, I think. I clocked Gilbert 2.44, Evans 2.46, Kirchen 3.01, Rebbelin 2.47.

And to throw couple of others into mix. Astarloa (2003) 3.19 and Armstrong (1996) was 2.49. Astarloa and Armstrong were not mass sprint, they won from breakaway.

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Von Mises said:
More or less, I think. I clocked Gilbert 2.44, Evans 2.46, Kirchen 3.01, Rebbelin 2.47.

And to throw couple of others into mix. Astarloa (2003) 3.19 and Armstrong (1996) was 2.49. Astarloa and Armstrong were not mass sprint, they won from breakaway.

Wow, didn't realize Armstrong was that quick; pretty fast from a break. Anyone know how long they were away in that race?

It's such an odd climb; not as steep at the bottom so you can be making some good time, but that finish, wow. Bet it seems like a long damn last 500m if you've misjudged it and your legs have popped. :eek:

Von Mises said:

like i said gillbert on huy was probably the fastest in history.i don't know,maybe only jaja did better?

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I really doubt that Gilbert was faster than the 1991-2000 period, although we had little/no bunch sprints in those days, they still should be faster.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Why should they be faster in that period?

For clinic reasons, even accepting people aren't clean now, the benefit you could get from a hematocrit of 55% should be much higher than anything possible with the biological passport in place. The same reason nobody will get close to Pantanis time on Alpe, and I believe Giorgio Furlans time on the Poggio is still a record as well.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Interesting that Gilbert was quicker than Evans and Rebellin from past years. I am a bit surprised. To me it didn't seem as fast as last year because it split up much later.

Interesting to compare the riders in the top 10 from the two past editions

1 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 4:39:24 (41.8754 kmh)
2 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Team Katusha
3 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana
4 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi + 0:06
5 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini + 0:09
6 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto + 0:11
7 Christopher Horner (USA) Team Radioshack
8 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
9 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank
10 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Transitions

1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 4:54:57
2 Joaquím Rodríguez Olivier (Spa) Katusha + 00:03
3 Samuel Sánchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi + 00:05
4 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Pro Team Astana + 00:06
5 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
6 Jelle Vanendert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto
7 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek
8 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha Team + 00:09
9 Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Team Garmin-Cervelo + 00:12
10 Paul Martens (Ger) Rabobank Cycling Team

boomcie said:
Was a certain 3-letter era.

Lanark said:
For clinic reasons, even accepting people aren't clean now, the benefit you could get from a hematocrit of 55% should be much higher than anything possible with the biological passport in place. The same reason nobody will get close to Pantanis time on Alpe, and I believe Giorgio Furlans time on the Poggio is still a record as well.

Well on the clinic thread I set up about Gilbert, it is argued that doping wouldnt help with something like the muur de huy anyway. Only in 500k tts and climbing Alpe with stones glued to your bike and the like would epo prove useful.

auscyclefan94 said:
Interesting that Gilbert was quicker than Evans and Rebellin from past years. I am a bit surprised. To me it didn't seem as fast as last year because it split up much later.

Bare in mind Gilbert didnt pace himself like Cuddles, but instead rode with the pack, then put some huge attack in, then slowed down big time to celebrate. Had he been going for a time trial type performance to get the best time, he could have absolutely crushed all records.

I thought had Cadel been there he would have won but looking at these figures it seems unlikely.

Yesterday I was impressed that Gilbert won FW. Today Im impressed to find out that he could have beaten any cyclist in history on it.

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

1 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 4:39:24 (41.8754 kmh)
2 Joaquin Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Team Katusha
3 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana
4 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi + 0:06
5 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini + 0:09
6 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto + 0:11
7 Christopher Horner (USA) Team Radioshack
8 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
9 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank
10 Ryder Hesjedal (Can) Garmin - Transitions

1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto 4:54:57
2 Joaquím Rodríguez Olivier (Spa) Katusha + 00:03
3 Samuel Sánchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi + 00:05
4 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) Pro Team Astana + 00:06
5 Igor Anton Hernandez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi
6 Jelle Vanendert (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto
7 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek
8 Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Katusha Team + 00:09
9 Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Team Garmin-Cervelo + 00:12
10 Paul Martens (Ger) Rabobank Cycling Team

Interestingly, 2010 FW was a pretty good indication of GT form to come. Apart from Cunego & Gilbert. And even they had some success. And Valverde of course.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Well on the clinic thread I set up about Gilbert, it is argued that doping wouldnt help with something like the muur de huy anyway. Only in 500k tts and climbing Alpe with stones glued to your bike and the like would epo prove useful.

This I find hard to believe. That's just silly. Maybe if you start the race at the foot of the Mur, it's effects are negligible, but after a 200k race? Go eat that theory with salsa dip please.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Bare in mind Gilbert didnt pace himself like Cuddles, but instead rode with the pack, then put some huge attack in, then slowed down big time to celebrate. Had he been going for a time trial type performance to get the best time, he could have absolutely crushed all records.

I thought had Cadel been there he would have won but looking at these figures it seems unlikely.

Yesterday I was impressed that Gilbert won FW. Today Im impressed to find out that he could have beaten any cyclist in history on it.
- Fleche was much harder last year
- Many more of the well known climbers were up there in 2010, were not present in 2011.
- A big group rode together for most of the climb. Guys like Vino have ridden close to the fastest fleche times in history. Vino is definetly not known for being up there in these finishes. You have to take these times into perspective, just like with bobridge's WR ride in comparison to Boardman's or Thomas' times in the Pursuit.
- If he tried to time trial up it he would of blown
-When gilbert crossed the line, like any fleche winner, he was absolutely ****ed from the effort.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Captain_Cavman said:
Interestingly, 2010 FW was a pretty good indication of GT form to come. Apart from Cunego & Gilbert. And even they had some success. And Valverde of course.

I think that if someday Gilbert would get it into his head to want to win the Vuelta he could do it(losing weight and stuff + a weak field like last year)

But let's be honest, why would he want to blow his changes to win more classics just for the Vuelta. It's not like he'll ever win the Tour or Giro or even the Vuelta if it has mountains like the Angliru in it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I think that if someday Gilbert would get it into his head to want to win the Vuelta he could do it(losing weight and stuff + a weak field like last year)

But let's be honest, why would he want to blow his changes to win more classics just for the Vuelta. It's not like he'll ever win the Tour or Giro or even the Vuelta if it has mountains like the Angliru in it.

Give me a break, he would never come close to Purito or Anton on the climbs nor tt with Nibali.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
He totally destroyed Purito on a climb that suits him perfectly.

Anton crashes out like always, he's no contender.

Vuelta usually isn't very mountainous, with only climbs in the final.

The Hitch said:

The question I have, is what would Gilbert have done if there were early attacks like last year.

Even if Gilbert can ride the fastest time out of anyone there, would he be able to hold his nerve and pace it right until the time where he wants to kick? If he was forced into a higher tempo earlier, would that strain him to the point where he isn't as powerful when it's time to turn it on?

The thing with Gilbert though, is that he could probably attack from 600m out and still win.

The Hitch said:

Not necessarily. Maybe he´d blown up like Contador last year. Maybe it suited him better that this time they went first part of the climb much slower. We dont know, but it is not so simple like you put it.

It was pretty slow for the first half in 2009 when a rider like Le Lay was able to get enough of a gap to even finish 12th at the end but when the pace went up Gilbert just disappeared.

Mind you he could have been working for Evans that day, although it isn't clear from the video and i don't remember the Lotto strategy for the race.

El Pistolero said:

I hardly doubt Gilbert could ever get close to the Vuelta. Hes not a special tter as it is and would probably lose some tt skill if he focused more on long climbs. Moreover while Martin types might just could do something by maxing out their tt skills (which allows you to get a few minutes on your competitors), Gilbert is never going to get more than 10 seconds + 20 bonus on his type of finish.

Your support for him really knows no bounds if you think he can beat real gt riders in the Vuelta

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah GT riders like Mosquera and Peter Velits :rolleyes:

Even Joaquim Rodriguez has recently said he probably rather wins a real Ardennes classic than his very own Vuelta. I just don't rate the Vuelta that high. Never will.