• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

76th Omloop Het Nieuwsblad: February 27, 2021

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, it looks like MvdP won't start. Teams have to submit a list of seven riders and two reserves 72 hours before the race, and they can only pick from those.

Odd, that Sporza would still word it the way they did then. They make it seem like it’s still a possibility.

Missed chance for him if he really carried his CX worlds form into UAE. They know better than me though about the best prep for Mathieu leading up to Strade.

With Mathieu most likely not starting I think Alaphil will win this bike race.

Last edited:
Some pics from recons:

EvFJdkfXIAU-lYQ

EvFIwxcXcAEahcN

EvFYWYzXUAoCHQ1

EvEznsvXIAAa8DQ

EvEE5BBWQAMFVEf

EvB3i0UVkAIkXxR

EvBGQ1ZWgAkCCRc

EvBGQ1cWYAA3p4u

EvA_-vSXIAUIpeE

Mathieu wil do Kuurne and not the Omloop. Reason being that the Omloop is a much harder race and he’s only raced one day...

I mean, I didn’t see much of this lack of racing in the UAE tour, even though the Omloop is on another level. I suppose the pressure to win the Omloop is also much higher.

Moving on, I’m really curious to see what Pollit can do here. So many potential winners imo.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Hey, guys! Have you heard of this young rider named Remco Evenpoel? I think he would win this race if it wasn't for his crash. What do y'all think?

We need to talk more about this AMAZING rider who is the moral winner of all races he couldn't enter because of his crash!!!!!

I think he'd win by going solo on Molenberg. Do y'all think he would rather have waited for the Muur???

EvB3i0UVkAIkXxR

Lmao, chill.

Reactions: Lequack
Reactions: Sciatic
At the beginning of the season it's interesting to compare the new team line-ups.

DQst has the strongest team with at least four potential winners: Alaphilippe, Asgreen, Lampaert, Sénéchal, Stybar, Ballerini, Declercq.

Six other teams have a strong duo:
  • Trek: Stuyven, Pedersen
  • Lotto: Gilbert, Wellens
  • AG2R: Van Avermaet, Naesen
  • DSM: Kragh Andersen, Benoot
  • UAE: Trentin, Kristoff
  • Bahrein: Teuns, Colbrelli.
Then there are the loners who will probably be isolated in the final:
  • Bora: Politt
  • Groupama: Küng
  • Israel: Vanmarcke.
Although some big names are missing it will give a first indication of the strength of the teams for the cobbled classics.

It can sometimes be a bit difficult to read a negative start list (the ones who don't participate) so I have tried to compile a list of relevant riders who are missing this race for one reason or other. By relevant I mean a rider who could conceivably have had a chance to make a result if he participated and a rider you could see in this race (so, for example no Roglic who might be able to win, but he has never ridden on a cobblestone before). The order might seem random but I just went through the teams alphabetically and then added to the list as I moved along.

Benoît Cosnefroy
Bob Jungels
Alexey Lutsenko
Peter Sagan
Maximilian Schachmann
Jelle Wallays
Alberto Bettiol
Magnus Cort
Michael Valgren
Stefan Bissegger
Arnaud Démare
Valentin Madouas