• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

76th Omloop Het Nieuwsblad: February 27, 2021

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can't believe that group cannot get her back.
They didn’t seem all that interested in trying. There were at least two teams with two riders in the chasing group, you’d think they could have organized. I know there the “we’ll just drag some sprinter to the finish with us and give them the win,” but they is zero chance if winning if they don't reel in VDB.

Reactions: wheresmybrakes
So Movistar has a better classics team than stage racing team this year? At least their classics riders actually look like they are ready for the season to start.

Nice podium for Emma Norssgaard.
Indeed, I was quite surprised to see two Movistar jerseys near the front of the final group in the men’s race as they neared the finish.

Do you know what happened to Van Vleuten in the women’s race?

I don't think the race was that bad. It was good racing until Alaphilippe showed with his attack that he is by far the strongest rider on the climbs. If a couple of riders could have followed him, I think we would be talking about how good the race was .
You just wanted to say that the race would have been much better with MVDP and WVA had taken part in it?
Fortunately, we don't have to wait for that very long - just until the next Saturday :)

Indeed, I was quite surprised to see two Movistar jerseys near the front of the final group in the men’s race as they neared the finish.

Do you know what happened to Van Vleuten in the women’s race?

I wasn't surprised to see Cortina in the first group, but I didn't expect him to have any teammates there. It was a nice surprise to see Serrano there as well. It appears it's the one day races where the team's youth movement seems to be starting to pay off.

I have no idea what happened as to why Van Vlueten wasn't in the first group. Although it was great to see Norsgaard there and she obviously can sprint, so that's nice to see.

Update on Van Vleten. She posted on twitter that she was just out of position at the critical moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sciatic
Ballerini has massively improved since his time with Androni and Astana - Could never predict these results from back in 2019.
He never raced cobbled races with Androni, so it was hard to predict. That's the thing with younger guys on Italian PCT teams, you don't really know if they could do something on the cobbles.
After signing with Astana he did his first cobbles campaign and finished 31st in Paris-Roubaix, so you could assume that he had some potential in that race.
Last year DQ send him to the Giro, but he was already getting a lot better as a one day racer.

Yesterday's passivity probably had a lot to do with the absence of Van Aert and MvdP. They could have joined Alaf or waited to attack on the Muur. What was left yesterday were the guys who usually sprint for place 3 or so.

Anna VdBr confirmed that she's the strongest individual and part of the strongest team. She could be one of the all-time greats, but she decided to retire at the end of the season.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS