• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

77th Tour de Romandie (2.UWT) // 23rd - 28th of April 2024

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

yes or no

• Total voters
Yes, he was being discussed in the comment I was responding to at that point this morning. Once it’s separated from the prior comment doesn’t make much sense.

What breakaway are you talking about? I haven’t watched every stage in full but he followed Platt with 2km to go (then got dropped) and yesterday (he sat on because of Vlasov behind).

Are you saying he is Roglic-like or not? i.e stomping in the last 500m cause that boy turned on the engines and flew.

Nothing personal, but I deeply dislike this sort of nickname: appalled (though probably not surprised) when the commentator on D+ used it. Maybe even worse than invariably referring to Evenepoel by his forename, 'though not nearly as bad as "G".

And entirely pointless as the only other Rodríguez we are likely to have to distinguish him from has the same initial.
It’s from baseball. Alex Rodriguez was one of the best infielders ever, and his nickname was A-Rod. (Apologies if you know this already). Maybe one day Christian can have his own “-Rod.”

Nothing personal, but I deeply dislike this sort of nickname: appalled (though probably not surprised) when the commentator on D+ used it. Maybe even worse than invariably referring to Evenepoel by his forename, 'though not nearly as bad as "G".

And entirely pointless as the only other Rodríguez we are likely to have to distinguish him from has the same initial.
You've got to think of C-Rod in the context of J-Rod.
It is a kind of complement.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It’s from baseball. Alex Rodriguez was one of the best infielders ever, and his nickname was A-Rod. (Apologies if you know this already). Maybe one day Christian can have his own “-Rod.”

You've got to think of C-Rod in the context of J-Rod.
It is a kind of complement.
Yeah, both of those make me dislike the concept even more. Not only stupid and pointless, but derivative too.

8 DNS 3 abandons incl McNulty & DeGendt. Must be a bug going round?
McNulty has won his stage, he is completely depleted after a long season so far. There is nothing for him to be gained today, other than getting sick. He won't be able to help his team today in any meaningful way, and he's not doing himself any favors. Very logical for him to throw in the towel imho.

Who says they didn't give him permission to ride for himself? He nearly won and took boniseconds away from Rodriguez, plus he ensured an extra podium spot for the team. had he waited for Vlasov, Lipowitz would not have been on the podium, but Van Wilder would have. Plus i doubt it would have made a big difference for Vlasov anyway. The seconds Vlasov might have gained on Rodriguez, might have been less than the boniseconds Lipowits "stole" from Rodriguez.

Had Lipowitz been 5 minutes down in GC, then obviously you'd tell him to wait unless he knew he could win. Which he nearly did regardless.

Maybe Lipowitz simply did the maximum he could and this was the best possible result. Maybe had he attacked earlier, he would have been overruled by 20 guys. He said himself he didn't know he was capable of this.
Already a bit less than 2 K before the finish, it was obvious Vlasov wouldn't make it. Not for the stage, not coming back on Rodriguez, not for winning the general. So, Lipo, who showed good legs and was very lucid, had to try. Far better than ending second in the stage and second and third in the general. Given his extremely strong finish the last hundred of meters, attacking 500 m before his actual attack, he would have won the stage, he would have taken extra seconds and he would have take extra boniseconds. Enough to win the general. Again, terrible decision (or non decision) of the team.

The 2 bonus seconds he took off Rodriguez won't matter (unless we see a big surprise tomorrow). Had he helped Vlasov one could argue they would catch Rodriguez as the gap was 4 seconds in the end and if Vlasov beats him in the sprint, there you go, a new GC leader. Plus, I don't think it makes a difference for Bora whether they have 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th in the GC in Romandie.

However, they had reason not to believe Vlasov as he was last wheel for a while (I think). So in order to have a chance to win the stage and, with the benefit of the hindsight, the GC they should've told him to attack earlier (okay, maybe they did but he wasn't confident enough) simply because by attacking 300m from the line he had nothing to gain.
It was obvious Lipo spoke to his teamleader in time, but wasn't allowed to attack. Once they were convinced Vlasov wouldn't come back on Rodriguez (which the more experienced of us already could see a few minutes) they give Lipo the opportunity to (counter)attack. Far too late.

I dont agree completely with those dissing Bora on tactics ...who knew Lipowitz was so strong

However tomorrow they need to ride for one rider in order to win the race from INEOS and that rider is imo is Lipowitz

He is better than both Vlasov and C Rod
Who knew Lipowitz was so strong ? Because Lipo showed before the last kilometer to be at least one of the top three.... and (far) better than Vlasov. Giving Lipo the chance to jump to Carapaz and leave behind Rodriguez at 1 kilometer of the finish was the only chance to win the stage and eventually the general.