• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

86th Tour de Suisse (2.UWT) // June 11th - 18th 2023

tour_de_suisse_logo.sjpe6i.jpg

Copy Paste Thread
a.k.a. Suisse Individual Time Trial Championships​

Since we're less than 24hrs before the start and nobody has made a thread yet, nor claimed to in the thread planning thread... I'm sure Devil's Elbow will approve.

Evenepoel, Ayuso, Uijtdebroeks, Vine, Mäder, Kelderman, Powless, Bilbao, Pidcock, Van Aert, Tulett, Bissegger, Skjelmose, Higuita...

Good news, these TT's will be timed by Tissot, so you can check https://www.tissottiming.com/ for starting order, live checks, intermediates and finish times.

stage 1
tour-de-suisse-2023-stage-1-profile-c94cdea666.jpg
stage 2
tour-de-suisse-2023-stage-2-profile-n3-ac3e1ae7d3.jpg
stage 3
tour-de-suisse-2023-stage-3-profile-025b715449.jpg
stage 4
tour-de-suisse-2023-stage-4-profile-2478d903d7.jpg
TdS_Karte_2023_men_RGB.png

stage 5
tour-de-suisse-2023-stage-5-profile-86fc704ddb.jpg
stage 6
tour-de-suisse-2023-stage-6-profile-n2-3b22247869.jpg
stage 7
tour-de-suisse-2023-stage-7-profile-n2-57e26bb301.jpg
stage 8
tour-de-suisse-2023-stage-8-profile-n2-aac5f07152.jpg

Last edited:
I‘ve said it before, I‘ll say it again: This one is a stage order master class. A harder queen stage might have been cool, but I think it‘s fine. Also putting some longer stages near the end… You could say two time trials are unnecessary but the optimal solution would be to put a big TT on Stage 1 and no one ever does that for some reason. Just a bit sad that the field is really weak beside Evenepoel and Van Aert.

Well, at least one of the route and the field is good this time. Would probably help the race a lot of Evenepoel is a level below this best. Yes, the La Punt stage is kind of uncharted territory for him in terms of sheer climbing, but he should deal with it just fine if he is, in fact, in form.

Reactions: search
Wva has a new tt position with the new rules. I am assuming he will fly.. winning both TTs. Probably not enough to contend for the GC win.. but if the others ride like in the giro...
It's possible unless Evenepoel comes close to his shape of the first giro TT. It may be a seconds game. And of course Kung and Bissiger may also surprise.

I wonder if Ganna also had a TT position improvement during that TT being 1m93? It didn't help him against Evenepoel, even on the flat part. He did say he put his power numbers out he wanted so his loss to Evenepoel was not due to shape.

Climb profile post:

Stage 2
Oberarig
QsJ8Lhy.png

Stage 3
Mosses

MossesN.gif

Villars-sur-Ollon (first 11.6k only)

CroixW.gif

Stage 4
Crans-Montana (different start, final 13.0k are the same)

CransMontanaS.gif

Höhenweg: first the first 7.7k of this, as far as the junction to Feschel…

UntereFeselalpS.gif

…then a brief false flat, short descent, followed by the section of this profile from the junction for Guttet (12.0k) to the junction to Leukerbad (5.4k)

TorrentalpS.gif

Stage 5
Furka

FurkaW_.gif

Oberalp

OberalpW_.gif

Albula
AlbulaW.gif

Stage 6
Albula
AlbulaE.gif

Lantsch/Lenz (KOM where it turns to false flat but ridden in full)
LenzerheideS.gif

Kerenzerberg

KerenzerbergE.gif

Islisberg
Hr3KaIj.png

Final climb
z23Tz1U.png

Stage 7
Oberegg (different start, final 8.0k are the same)
ObereggN.gif

Eggerstanden
EggerstandenE.gif

Ottenberg
EbztrQe.png

Stage 8
Ätschberg
BkimVUu.png

Last edited:
Stage 1, ITT, starting times, intermediates and finish times on https://www.tissottiming.com/2023/tds/nl/default/Stage/1/StartList

some interesting riders (for stage/GC):

Dennis 14h58
Pidcock 15h11
Powless 15h18
Tulett 15h57
Mäder 16h01
Higuita 16h02
Sheffield 16h20
Kragh Andersen 16h22
Price-Pejtersen 16h24
Uijtdebroeks 16h25
Kelderman 16h30
Asgreen 16h32
Vine 16h37
Bilbao 16h47
Schachmann 16h48
Bissegger 16h50
Küng 16h51
Van Aert 16h53
Evenepoel 16h55
Skjelmose 16h59
Ayuso 17h00
Van Eetvelt 17h02

tds is broadcast on eurosport player? because on their schedule isn't present.
depends on where you're from. Eurosport has broadcasting rights for Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine and United Kingdom.

It's possible unless Evenepoel comes close to his shape of the first giro TT. It may be a seconds game. And of course Kung and Bissiger may also surprise.

I wonder if Ganna also had a TT position improvement during that TT being 1m93? It didn't help him against Evenepoel, even on the flat part. He did say he put his power numbers out he wanted so his loss to Evenepoel was not due to shape.

Ganna was already flirting with the rules, so not sure how much advantage he still could make with those changed rules. From WVA side we heard confirmation he is more comfortable and faster in his new position. For Ganna it is as you say, but he was also not good in the WC ITT last year. He seems to have slacked off a bit compared to others.

Wva has a new tt position with the new rules. I am assuming he will fly.. winning both TTs. Probably not enough to contend for the GC win.. but if the others ride like in the giro...

I am sure Van Aert will manage to do great time trials but to contend for GC, Remco, Ayuso, Bardet and others would need to soft pedal the big climbs.

Given the amount of TT kilometers, Remco is the favourite for GC but watch out for Ayuso and I am curious if Pidcock will finally try to go for GC in a World Tour stage race.

Ganna was already flirting with the rules, so not sure how much advantage he still could make with those changed rules. From WVA side we heard confirmation he is more comfortable and faster in his new position. For Ganna it is as you say, but he was also not good in the WC ITT last year. He seems to have slacked off a bit compared to others.
UCI should really check the height of riders when it comes to TTing. Even with the new bike regulations for TTs, van Aert and JV are keeping up the lie that he is 1m90 to gain an advantage.

UCI should really check the height of riders when it comes to TTing. Even with the new bike regulations for TTs, van Aert and JV are keeping up the lie that he is 1m90 to gain an advantage.
Was about to post the same thing when I read this. He's always measured at 1m86-88. Suddenly he's 1m90 when the rules changed. Maybe they're including his hair.
He can put his elbow setup 20cm higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Judge for yourself.

0mVU63E.png

I do tend to agree though that he probably barely misses the mark as indeed his Wikipedia pages etc. in the past always had him at 187 or so.
But if he really was 190 I wouldn't be that surprised either.

Overall just a shitty situation that there is such a harsh cut-off. At 189 you are really unlucky, at 190 you would be over the moon.