• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

9 months for failing two drug tests

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Full story

Bearing in mind a few years back he was suspended for 8 months for failing an out of competition test for cocaine. I believe it was the same drug that Bernucci was nabbed for in 2007.

Ha! Maybe sometime soon football will finally have its own doping scandal that removes the lid. How 'bout the Fiorentina affair? That would go nicely together with the Festina affair!

Well, poor guy anyway. He didn't know you're not supposed to dope in football, but the same goes for the federation then I guess...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Football in Italy has enforced omerta so to speak on a Czech manager/coach Zdenek Zeman who blew the whistle on practices at all of the Italian clubs, especially the big clubs, and he hasn't gotten a gig at a decent Italian club since then.

The clubs and players justification was that they are expected to play 50 - 70 games a season (including League, Cup, European, and International matches for their respective country), so they need something to get them through the season.

Yeah he got banned back in 2004 for testing positive for cocaine while playing at Chelsea. That got him a 7 month ban (basically the rest of the season) as well as being sacked by his club.

Interestingly, Chelsea have tried to get compensation from Mutu with the figure quoted being £14.7 million! I think this is still being appealed. A lot of this refers to the transfer fee Chelsea paid for him in the first place

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/31/cas-chelsea-adrian-mutu

Wow, only 9 months :confused:

All the doping cases in football that I hear of seem to be in Italy. Borriello for some steroid, Maradona, Mutu, Davids for nandrolone, Jaap Stam (who suddenly decided to start taking nandrolone after leaving English football).. :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS