• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

94th Ronde van Vlaanderen - April 4

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ned Flanders

BANNED
Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Yes but he still didn't say respect. Probably thinks he has a lot to learn.

Armstrong is a tosser. Period.

Aren't you the same guy who said Armstrong would likely DNF this incredibly tough race? You said you would eat your hat if he doesn't have to abandon due to the time limits or something, didn't you?

Well he finished in the lead chasing group, only two minutes down on FC and a minute behind Boonen, and looked impressive throughout.

All you've got to say is call him a tosser?

Hats off to LA. It really was a REMARKABLE perforamnce and only a week after Corsica where he lost 5 minutes on a Cat 1 in how many Ks? Truly remarkable to slim down and find form in a week. I eat my Sporran. What a guy, superman.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't like Lance at all as a person, but I thought he put up a good ride today. Far too much is being made of the post race interview. He just wanted to get away and into his bus. If it's not him winning he's not interested. He's not a fan like us who will appreciate a great ride no matter who produces it.

Ned Flanders said:
Aren't you the same guy who said Armstrong would likely DNF this incredibly tough race? You said you would eat your hat if he doesn't have to abandon due to the time limits or something, didn't you?

That is evidence that even when BPC is not trolling he still reads this forum, probably seething at nearly every post. He is an addict. That is why he won't go away.

Working today and my recorder screwed up so only saw the highlighs on EuroSport. I predicted the Top 3 riders right but had Boonen ahead on Canc in a 2 man break with Gilbert well behind. Not too far away.

Looked like a decent race, Cancellara super impressive, especially the huge gap he opened on the Muur. Good ride by Millar and fair play to Armstrong for finishing in the chase group but whats with such a huge group!!! Maybe Lance is morphing back into a Classics rider;)

I think Vacansoleil are also slowly convinving me they do deserve a place at the Tour.

Just read through the last 40 pages for a blow-by-blow account. Thanks to all, always fun to read.

thehog said:
“If you give him a few meters, you won’t see him again. I was racing after him at 55 km/h, and he took a minute off me,” Boonen said. “What can I say? He was the strongest.”

- Fark.

Either Boonen did really well to hold the gap near a minute or Canc let up a little once he got that amount of time. Boonen looked like he was killing himself while chasing. Impressive ride by both.

Ned Flanders

BANNED
Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Pretty great race. Cancellara was phenomenal. Also, nice placing for Gilbert :D

BMC were pretty disappointing. Lets see what they do next Sunday :rolleyes:

Plus BMC should be forced to change their jersies so it's easier to spot RadioShack riders from a distance shot. ;)

thehog said:
“If you give him a few meters, you won’t see him again. I was racing after him at 55 km/h, and he took a minute off me,” Boonen said. “What can I say? He was the strongest.”

- Fark.

Spectacular quote. Man, that moment on the Muur was special. Truly amazing to see Cancellara open that gap on Boonen.

Once we set aside all the petty Armstrong v. Contador stuff, we see how absolutely beautiful and simultaneously painful this sport is.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Pretty great race. Cancellara was phenomenal. Also, nice placing for Gilbert :D

6th place dissapoiniting:eek:. Hincapie said he had the legs to go with tomeke and spartacus on the molenberg.

Sky were very dissapointing IMO...

Going to try to work out a team's classification for the race...may take a little while!

May 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
6th place dissapoiniting:eek:. Hincapie said he had the legs to go with tomeke and spartacus on the molenberg.

Yeah, he said that. One of the funnier things I have read in the last few days.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:

Is the :rolleyes: a sign of sarcasm for today or for next Sunday?

Cuz Hincapie came in at 6th, and almost took 5th off Farrar in a sprint.

Considering BMC are certainly targeting the win next week for George, it's not inconceivable they were willing to soft-pedal this week.

And we'll probably see Spartacus taking a victory lap.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I thought Hincapie could be in contention and he was - too bad he couldnt jump into that Boonen/Cancellara break...

what is it that makes you hesitate on getting into that????? legs not there? PR coming up? I cant understand why you would hesitated when those guys go! Makes zero sense if you could. Lame.

Armstrong comments... love or hate. He did well today. He can ride in any race. He has the mental game to win any race if he prepares for it. Too bad he always seems to dry toast interviews. I think he's on par with a lot of old pros when he talks in interviews.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
derailleur said:

Considering BMC are certainly targeting the win next week for George, it's not inconceivable they were willing to soft-pedal this week.

And we'll probably see Spartacus taking a victory lap.

It was good to see Ballan, kroon and burghardt up there and riding well becaue they have been struggling for form...

Just to note on the amount of finishers for some teams
SAX - 5
QSI - 7
OPO - 5
VAC - 6
GAR - 4
BMC - 5
CER - 4
AST - 4
LAM - 3
Bbox - 5
Kat - 4
Sky - 7
HTC - 6

derailleur said:

Oh, he said that? (Sorry, I haven't really read any quotes or anything this week) I'd have thought that with Ballan, George and Burghardt they might have been closer/on the podium. We still have P-R though.

I kinda just classed the group as one tbh.

Also, I'm still bitter about the Tour invites, so don't take me too seriously.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Oh, he said that? (Sorry, I haven't really read any quotes or anything this week) I'd have thought that with Ballan, George and Burghardt they might have been closer/on the podium. We still have P-R though.

I kinda just classed the group as one tbh.

Also, I'm still bitter about the Tour invites, so don't take me too seriously.

Ballan and burghardt haven't really had great form so it was good to see them up there but those two didnn't really have the form for flanders.Hincapie said he got a bit boxed in on the molenberg when TB and fabo jumped but said he could of gone with them.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Ballan and burghardt haven't really had great form so it was good to see them up there but those two didnn't really have the form for flanders.Hincapie said he got a bit boxed in on the molenberg when TB and fabo jumped but said he could of gone with them.

Yeah, and what was the reason he didn't get into the chase group then? Fact is that talk is cheap. There was perhaps one other guy who could have gone with them, but his chances were ruined by a bad bike change. Hincapie just didn't have the legs. Not that he was bad, but he was not on the same level as Boonen, Cancellara or based on the early parts of the race Breschel.

TRENDING THREADS