• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

94th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2014 (2.WT, 24 March - 30 March)

logo.png

Climbers race with extremely strong lineup features Contador, Purito, Froome & Quintana. What else do we need ?

Last year's top ten:

1 MARTIN Daniel Garmin Sharp 29:02:25
2 RODRIGUEZ Joaquim Team Katusha 0:17
3 SCARPONI Michele Lampre - Merida 0:34
4 QUINTANA Nairo Movistar Team 0:45
5 WIGGINS Bradley Sky Procycling 0:54
6 GESINK Robert Blanco Pro Cycling Team 1:07
7 NIEMIEC Przemyslaw Lampre - Merida 1:18
8 PINOT Thibaut Equipe Cycliste FDJ 1:26
9 VAN DEN BROECK Jurgen Lotto Belisol Team 1:28
10 DANIELSON Thomas Garmin Sharp 1:41

Favorities:

*** - Contador, Froome, Quintana, Purito
** - Betancur, Dan Martin, Arredondo
* - Fuglsang, Horner, Van Garderen, Kelderman, Uran, Pozzovivo

Sprinters:

Dumoulin, Howard, Meersman, Fernandez, Nizzolo

Startlist:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Volta_Ciclista_a_Catalunya_2014-Startlist

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/voltacatalunya

Stage: 1 - 24 March : Calella, 169.70 km

Volta-Ciclista-a-Catalunya-Stage-1-1392216272.png

ALT DE MONTSORIU (P.M. 3ª Cat.). 1.9km, avg. 6%, max 7%
ALT DEL MONTSENY (P.M. 1a Cat.). 6km, avg. 5.6%, max 8%
ALT DE COLLSACREU (P.M. 3a Cat.). 9.3km, avg. 3%, max 6%

Stage: 2 - 25 March : Mataró - Girona, 168.00 km
Volta-Ciclista-a-Catalunya-Stage-2-1392216293.png

ALT DE CAN BORDOI (P.M. 3ª Cat.). 2.8km, avg. 5.3%, max 7%
ALT DE SANTA PELLAIA (P.M. 2ª Cat.). 5.9km, avg 4%, max 6%

Stage: 3 - 26 March : Banyoles - La Molina (Alp), 162.90 km

Volta-Ciclista-a-Catalunya-Stage-3-1392216317.png

ALT DE COUBET (P.M. 1ª Cat.). 10km, avg. 5.5%, max 10%
ALT DE LA CREUETA (P.M. Cat. Especial) "Cima Peris". 21km, avg. 4.5%, max 9%
LA MOLINA (ALP) (P.M. 1ª Cat.). 5.3km, avg. 6%, max 8%

Stage: 4 - 27 March : Alp - Vallter 2000 (Setcases), 166.40 km
Volta-Ciclista-a-Catalunya-Stage-4-1392216338.png

COLLADA DE TOSSES (P.M. 1ª Cat.). 19.6km, avg. 3.8%, max 6%
ALT DE CANES (P.M. 2ª Cat.). 16km, avg. 3%, max 6%
ALT DE OIX (P.M. 1ª Cat.). 7.7km, avg. 5.3%, max 10%
ALT DE ROCABRUNA (P.M. 1ª Cat.). 7.5km, avg. 5.6%, max 14%
VALLTER 2000 (P.M. Cat. Especial). 12km, avg. 7.8%, max 12%

Stage: 5 - 28 March : Llanars–Vall de Camprodon - Valls, 218.20 km
Volta-Ciclista-a-Catalunya-Stage-5-1392216360.png

ALT DE LILLA (P.M. 2ª Cat.). 6.3km, avg. 4.8%, max 7%

Stage: 6 - 29 March : El Vendrell - Vilanova i la Geltrú, 172.00 km
Volta-Ciclista-a-Catalunya-Stage-6-1392216467.png

ALT DE FONT-RUBÍ (P.M. 3ª Cat.). 5.7km, avg. 3.8%, max 6%

Stage: 7 - 30 March : Barcelona (Montjuïc), 120.70 km
Volta-Ciclista-a-Catalunya-Stage-7-1392216489.png

ALT DE CASTELLBISBAL (P.M. 3ª Cat.). 4.4km, avg. 3.5%, max 5%
ALT DE CORBERA (P.M. 3ª Cat.). 3.9km, avg. 4.7%, max 8%
8 x ALT DE MONTJUÏC (P.M. 3ª Cat.). 2km, avg. 5.7%, max 8%

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Tailor-made for Froome and Team Sky I'd say. Long, hard draining climbs. On a course like this, Porte deserves at least one, maybe two stars.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Sykhrzon said:
Tailor-made for Froome and Team Sky I'd say. Long, hard draining climbs. On a course like this, Porte deserves at least one, maybe two stars.

True but Porte has just been sick.

Sykhrzon said:

I disagree, this parcours is one of the hardest to control for a team like Sky. Up and down all day on most stages, a lot of small twisty roads, opportunities to attack everywhere.

Of course they may succeed in taming it anyway.

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I agree that stage 7 is normally not Sky territory, but their team is so strong that they can overcome almost everything.

The GC guys should attack as early as the first two stages if they want a chance IMO.

Sykhrzon said:
I agree that stage 7 is normally not Sky territory, but their team is so strong that they can overcome almost everything.

The GC guys should attack as early as the first two stages if they want a chance IMO.

Without having seen how Froome is going since Oman and his lower back injury or knowing the extent of Porte's "illness", I'm not sure they'll be the strongest team in the race. Past isn't always prologue. That being said, I'm looking forward to Dawg trying to put Contador back into his place. :p ;)

Sykhrzon said:

yep, the team is ridiculous strong, but this parcous doesn't favor Sky. No long flat TT, lots of kickers with a descent to the line. I would say this parcours favors aggressive riders with a solid plan to win the race.

Of course that doesn't mean a team can't suffocate the race. Movistar did a pretty good job at that in Andalucia this year. Perhaps Sky can do that here.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Difficult to control parcours, super hilly, nothing that opens up the door for one rider to dominate easily (like a long TT), and a top notch field. This could potentially be the race of the year!

Quintana to give us a taste of what we'll see in the Giro, namely, destroy all. :cool:

sagansagan

BANNED
Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Porte was only ill, nothing related to injuries, but Sky is not going to take any risks, they know that they have a real shot here with Froome. It will be a battle between Froome and Contador and Froome will win (fingers crossed) :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
For me
1.Quintana
2.Alberto
3.Froome
4.Porte/Purito

I would pick Purito ftw if it is April.I dont believe his form in March.;)

Edit:Quintana's form will grow rapidly ,he will win by less than 10s tho.

This looks like a very exciting race in prospect.

I am very much looking forward to this race, along with MSR, of course.

Although Froome would normally be favourite, his absence, and Contador's form in Italy make it very difficult to call. Add Porte, Quintana and Rodriguez into the mix, along with Dan Martin, Betancur and a number of others.....I am licking my chops here.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Dan martin will repeat.......

Hopefully

More seriously, no way froome will be there if he has back problems. Quintana vs Berti and Bananito to judge this game

sagansagan

BANNED
Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I know many of u guys don't like Froome, but he's been on top form in Oman. Besting out Nibali and Tj. The back problem won't cause him much trouble, he quit TA because he doesn't want to take the risk. Quintana hasn't been sharp on the climbs in TA, Contador may have dominated, but the second best was Quintana and there was none to challenge him

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
sagansagan said:
Porte was only ill, nothing related to injuries, but Sky is not going to take any risks, they know that they have a real shot here with Froome. It will be a battle between Froome and Contador and Froome will win (fingers crossed) :D

ianstannard's profile number 37? Ban this guy's IP, please.

Sky will be strong as usual. But Moviestar and Saxo should be able to give them a hard time. I don't see Kreuziger on the start list. He was important in Contador's TA win....so that's a little unfortunate. I'm going for Contador.... he is real strong right now. IMO Froome is the only one who could beat him, but it will be a lot harder than last year.

Contador
Froome
Quintana

Regardless of the final outcome it should be pretty epic!

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
sagansagan said:
I know many of u guys don't like Froome, but he's been on top form in Oman. Besting out Nibali and Tj. The back problem won't cause him much trouble, he quit TA because he doesn't want to take the risk. Quintana hasn't been sharp on the climbs in TA, Contador may have dominated, but the second best was Quintana and there was none to challenge him

You don't like Froome or Sky, actually you hate them with a passion. You're just making all of these profiles in order to make them look bad. And guess what, it's not working.