• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

94th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2014 (2.WT, 24 March - 30 March)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Roude Leiw said:
Dan martin will repeat.......

Hopefully

More seriously, no way froome will be there if he has back problems. Quintana vs Berti and Bananito to judge this game

if Dan Martin wins this I will gladly have an avatar of hipster JVs ugly mug for a year.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm really curious to see how Purito will show himself after a month training. If he's super, he can win, even against Contador, Froome and Quintana. But i don't think he's as good as Conta at this point of the season. They all so strong, it will be a magnificent race!

1. Contador
2. Quintana
3. Purito

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
It could happen, like last year they won't consider him a threat and give him a bit of leeway.

well, the field is much stronger this year. And also Martin isnt in the same kind of shape it seems. It would take a miracle for him to win again.

Colombians in the race, including all the "A"s.
More world tour points:
5 are 25 or under:

Janier Acevedo (28): Garmin Sharp
Winner Anacona (25): Lampre - Media
Julian Arredondo (25): Trek Factory Racing
Darwin Atapuma (26): BMC Racing Team
Carlos Betancur (24): AG2R La Mondiale
Esteban Chaves (24): Orica GreenEdge
Nairo Quintana (24): Movistar Team
Cayetano Sarmiento (26): Cannondale
Rigoberto Uran (27): Omega Pharma - Quick-Step

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Not quite understanding the scepticism for D Martin to hold on to his title.

He has posted a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the race over the past five years, yet most posters here are giving him little chance of even making the podium.

While he has started the season late this year and didn't exactly seem to kill himself in Italy the past week, he has targeted this race and in recent years he has been eerily accurate on his pre season goals and the subsequent achievements.

gospina said:
More world tour points:
5 are 25 or under:

Winner Anacona (25): Lampre - Media

How is Chaves' form coming into Catalunya?

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
FinallyTheSummit said:

He has posted a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the race over the past five years, yet most posters here are giving him little chance of even making the podium.

While he has started the season late this year and didn't exactly seem to kill himself in Italy the past week, he has targeted this race and in recent years he has been eerily accurate on his pre season goals and the subsequent achievements.

Well, last year Dan started with TA too, but finished around place 20 and not way down GC and was completely invisible for the whole race. That's why we think that it might be a stretch for him to tear things up. Will be a happy camper if he proves me wrong, I kinda like him.

FinallyTheSummit said:

The reason certain people are a little doubtful about Martin repeating his win this year is because the competition is tougher this year. He could possibly get top 5, but I doubt he'll be any higher. That's just my opinion based on the form I see riders in right now.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Jspear said:
The reason certain people are a little doubtful about Martin repeating his win this year is because the competition is tougher this year. He could possibly get top 5, but I doubt he'll be any higher. That's just my opinion based on the form I see riders in right now.

I also don't think he'll be allowed to go solo this year like he was last year. I think they underestimated him a bit too much last time.

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Sky will try to make a statement here after Contador's Tirreno performance. More so on a parcourse without a tt.
But, in my opinion, no matter how successful they'll be, it won't mean a lot. They should have been at the TA, everybody have been expecting the showdown there, and with a recent race in his legs every result against Contador should be taken with considerable reserves.
I'm looking forward to the race, but with less enthusiasm than TA.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
ferryman said:
No problem, here you go:

1st: Contador

2nd:

3rd:

(Fill in the blanks folks;)

And please don't take this post seriously:)

He'll certainly appreciate no time trials against Froome. I bet Quintana is a bit stronger by the time this race rolls around though.

FinallyTheSummit said:

He's focusing on the Giro this year, and hence he's on a different schedule than last year which is why his form isn't as good as last year (look at TA for a comparison).

Martin:

"Last year I only did one race, the Tour of Med, before Tirreno-Adriatico so the program is not too much different. But I hit Tirreno in quite good form this year (last year). Next year (this year), maybe Catalunya will suffer but hopefully I’ll still be pinging for the Ardennes."

gospina said:
More world tour points:
5 are 25 or under:

Winner Anacona (25): Lampre - Merida
Add Heiner Parra (23): Caja Rural - Seguros RGA