• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

9speed to 10speed upgrade for Dura Ace

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Okay first, i know i am in the dark ages riding a 9speed DA bike. I had two kids and the cost to upgrade was a bit high as my parts worked very well.

Well, after years of good use my shifters are dying and I want to upgrade to 10speed instead of replacing just the shifters. What is needed, is the rear derailer and ft derailer compatible?

Let me know thanks.

Alex

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Shifters, cassette, chain, and rear der., you can get away with using the old front der. The shifting ramps on your 9 speed chain rings may affect shifting with a 10 speed chain, but it's negligible at best.

You should sell your kids and do a real upgrade to Campagnolo.:D The proof is in the pudding right here folks for all to read. I'm still using Chorus 9 speed circa 1997 on my foul weather bike, works like new and all I've had to replace is the chain and cables. The old adage rings true as ever:

~Campagnolo wears in, Shimano wears out.;)

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
LOL i doni't think the wife would agree. I always wanted Campy but it was too expensive back when.

As for the chainrings, i have been using the 10speed crank for about 4 years when i want form 175 to 172.5 crank arms.....got a steal when a buddy of mine wanted 175 10speed on a brand new bike he bought.

I have hard the 9speed RD still works. Any thoughts.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
sell it on ebay to fund a new der. The throw ratio is just a tad different with 10 speed. It's possible to modify but worth the upgrade in the long run. You want the rear shifting to be perfect, not just ok I presume. Substandard shifting can be really annoying.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
You know what... you can use your 9 speed rear der. with the new shifters. I'm sorry. Always stuck in Campy mode.. Duh.....

Shifters, chain, and cassette. Then your ready to rock..... Good Luck!!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with riding 9spd if the parts still work! Having said that if you've been riding the same chainrings for 4 years you may need to replace them too (depending on how much use they've had), but do the other bits first and see if there's any probs first.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
Okay first, i know i am in the dark ages riding a 9speed DA bike. I had two kids and the cost to upgrade was a bit high as my parts worked very well.

Well, after years of good use my shifters are dying and I want to upgrade to 10speed instead of replacing just the shifters. What is needed, is the rear derailer and ft derailer compatible?

Let me know thanks.

Alex
If to 7800, 6600 or 105 level 10s all you need is the shifters, cogset and chain. Derailleurs, if not worn out, will work fine. shimano Rear derailleurs have had the same dimension since DA 8s became DA 9s in 1997. No need to swap either derailleur.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all the input guys.....

I haven't riden maybe 2000k on the chain rings in 4 years so they are probably in great shape. Things are tight in the wallet with the economy, but I didn't want to replace my 9speed with 9speed shifters as they are more expensive and i do need a new cassetted and chain so it makes sense to do the 10speed.

Long story short the old 9speed are not engaging when you go to downshift...talked to another buddy of mine and he said that you can soak and clean the shifters but they are probably failing and would suck to be on a hilly training ride and have to use only two gears.

BTW, i am going 7800 not the new 7900.

No kidding. I just upgraded from 9 speed dura ace to 10 speed last weekend. You only need to change the shifters, chain, and cassette. After 60000 km my shifters were starting to wear. Everything works great. I ordered a new real derailleur so I could use the old setup on my commuter bike.

The old nine speed derailleur works perfectly (I am still waiting for the 7800 derailleur to get here). I picked up an ultegra cassette because of its value. It is a bit of an adjustment to the new ergonomics but the shifting is perfect (front and rear). Message me if you want some details about getting the new shifters to sit on the handle bars in the same relative location as the old ones (this makes the transition very comfortable). I picked up the 7801 shifters (new in box with cables) from TotalCycling.com for less than most places are selling the Ultegra 6600 shifters!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
euphrades said:
Long story short the old 9speed are not engaging when you go to downshift...talked to another buddy of mine and he said that you can soak and clean the shifters but they are probably failing and would suck to be on a hilly training ride and have to use only two gears.

This treatement or spraying with WD40 or similar works but needs to be repeated regularly and it will only help you for so long. Order the parts asap but you can do that until they arrive.

TRENDING THREADS