• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A 7 time Champion returns

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
An opinion polarising 7 times Champion makes a return to his sport with the team that is directed by the man who gave him those wins.

Is he too old?

Has the Spanish competion got that much better?

What of the Brits?

No, not Lance Armstrong!

Schumacher returns to F1.

I don't know how much attention this will get, but I want to see what people though, both about F1, and the comparisions between the two

Big GMaC said:
An opinion polarising 7 times Champion makes a return to his sport with the team that is directed by the man who gave him those wins.

Is he too old?

Has the Spanish competion got that much better?

What of the Brits?

No, not Lance Armstrong!

Schumacher returns to F1.

I don't know how much attention this will get, but I want to see what people though, both about F1, and the comparisions between the two

I think the testing in 2010 has been fairly ambiguous. There is no clear leader out of McLaren, Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari. None of these teams will get the "jump" on the rest of the field like Brawn did last year with their double diffuser.

Of those teams they aren't really carrying any drivers, so there is 8 men with a chance of being right up there for the world championship. Maybe Button, Webber and Rosberg are slightly below the standard of the other five. The Mercedes plant was so strong last season so maybe that will be the difference.

I don't think we will have a clearer picture even after a few races. If I had to pick a winner now, it would be out of Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel.

I don't think it's easy to compare Schumacher and Lance. Schumacher is a competitive *******, but away from race weekends he's a reserved individual. Lance came back to promote the Lance Armstrong brand. This comeback is about hunger for competition as much as it is about the squillions Mercedes offered him. Lance just didn't seem to be enjoying world class competition in 2009.

Don't compare Federer/Woods/Armstrong/Schumacher/Rossi/Slater just take them for what they are.

Ooh, Stefan GP for this year then! Villeneuve and Nakajima..

Out of the 4 new teams this year, Manor have been bought by Virgin and changed name, Campos have been bought and changed name, USF1 have dropped out, and Lotus is the only 'original' remaining :p

Good to see Sauber back properly. Hope Kubica can challenge too.

luckyboy said:
Ooh, Stefan GP for this year then! Villeneuve and Nakajima..

Out of the 4 new teams this year, Manor have been bought by Virgin and changed name, Campos have been bought and changed name, USF1 have dropped out, and Lotus is the only 'original' remaining :p

Good to see Sauber back properly. Hope Kubica can challenge too.

Unfortunately not, they are keeping the grid at 12 (24)... So Stefan GP misses out :(

Will be interesting to see how the refueling ban goes this year. Proper qualifying, finally!

Yeah I read yesterday. Should be an interesting year.

I was going to go to Silverston this year (went in 99 - Schumi's leg break, 2002 and last year), but I doubt I'll be able to afford it. I'd like to go to Spa in the next few years too (not to mention most of the other Euro races).

BroDeal said:
Fuel strategy is the main opportunity to pass in a race series where an on track pass is a once in a blue moon event, and the FIA gets rid of it. What could possibly go wrong?

This made me laugh: In the long and proud tradition of British auto engineering, there is a "slight" problem with Virgin's F1 car. The car can hold fuel for 48 laps of the Australian circuit. Unfortunately, the race is 58 laps.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
This made me laugh: In the long and proud tradition of British auto engineering, there is a "slight" problem with Virgin's F1 car. The car can hold fuel for 48 laps of the Australian circuit. Unfortunately, the race is 58 laps.

Hmailton was a bit dissapointing in qualifying. vettel set new lap record though the conditions and the time of day are much more ideal for the cars compared to when schumacher set the original record.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Wait, so what they gonna do?

BroDeal said:

Yeh hilarious.

I think they are just going to run the engine lower. So you will see the V F1 cars 5-10s slower per lap... Hopefully they **** up before then.

The main problem in F1 is the boring Tilke circuits.

This was Webber's best answer of the weekend.

Q: (Mark Fogarty - Auto Action) Mark, perhaps more than ever, the eyes of a nation will be on you tomorrow. How daunting a prospect is that?
MW: Not really, mate, because I know tomorrow’s papers will be wrapping fish and chips on Monday. They’re very fickle and most people down here obviously think that this is the only race of the season. I have a much, much bigger thing in mind, obviously, a good result tomorrow. Of course I’m keen to do well here, but every Grand Prix is a very respectful thing to take part in. I’ve a very good team behind me and whether I’m in Australia, Budapest, Japan we give our best. Every time we get in the car we have to deliver. Today I didn’t feel any pressure at all. I felt like I drove well and I enjoyed it. When the helmet is on, it’s over to me to do the job.

TRENDING THREADS