• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A few questions about Andreas Klier

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Reading the article about Andreas Klier's suspension has prompted a few questions from me. I ask a lot of questions because (1) I don't know the answers already and (2) there are enough knowledgeable people here who can and usually do answer.

There was no thread on him so I started one.

Anyhoo,

Why the 6 month ban and not 2 years? Is it because he is no longer an active rider? If so, then why didn't JV get 6 months back when all those other guys got bans?

Did Klier have dirt on Armstrong or any other riders? Did he divulge the dirt on them? Is that why he got 6 months and not 2 years?

Didhe get 6 months because he came clean? Would Lance have got only 6 months if he came clean and confessed to Tygart? Or does the 6 months if you confess rule only apply to certain guys?

Does Klier working for Garmin mean that he will get to keep his job? Was Levi forced to retire because he wasn't riding for Garmin? It is my perception that the first thing an ex-doper does after his suspension is lifted is sign with Garmin. How about anyone else?

Will other recently retired riders-turned directors time their admissions so that the period of 8 years from their admission covers a much less significant portion of their career and/or retirement years? For example, if hypothetically Cadel Evans was on drugs, and then wants to come clean, shouldn't he wait until August of 2019 to confess, then get banned for 6 months, then become an assistant director at Garmin and be lauded for his frankness and honesty?

How does any of the above make the current cycling peloton cleaner?

babastooey said:
Reading the article about Andreas Atlier's suspension has prompted a few questions from me. I ask a lot of questions because (1) I don't know the answers already and (2) there are enough knowledgeable people here who can and usually do answer.

Anyhoo,

Why the 6 month ban and not 2 years? Is it because he is no longer an active rider? If so, then why didn't JV get 6 months back when all those other guys got bans?

Did Klier have dirt on Armstrong or any other riders? Did he divulge the dirt on them? Is that why he got 6 months and not 2 years?

Didhe get 6 months because he came clean? Would Lance have got only 6 months if he came clean and confessed to Tygart? Or does the 6 months if you confess rule only apply to certain guys?

Does Klier working for Garmin mean that he will get to keep his job? Was Levi forced to retire because he wasn't riding for Garmin? It is my perception that the first thing an ex-doper does after his suspension is lifted is sign with Garmin. How about anyone else?

Will other recently retired riders-turned directors time their admissions so that the period of 8 years from their admission covers a much less significant portion of their career and/or retirement years? For example, if hypothetically Cadel Evans was on drugs, and then wants to come clean, shouldn't he wait until August of 2019 to confess, then get banned for 6 months, then become an assistant director at Garmin and be lauded for his frankness and honesty?

If 6 months was the only penalty I think most would take it and confess.

Some time ago. Less so now there were two penalties. One was the suspension. Then there was the isolating from future employment.

The second type is what stops people from talking.

One could ask themselves would they confess to be out of employment for 2 years and have zero job prospects. Most likely not.

None the less there's no surprised that doping was endemic from 1990 to 2009. From 09 to present day it's morphed but ever present.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
babastooey said:
Reading the article about Andreas Klier's suspension has prompted a few questions from me. I ask a lot of questions because (1) I don't know the answers already and (2) there are enough knowledgeable people here who can and usually do answer.

Anyhoo,

Klier got a 2 year ban, which can be reduced by 3/4 for "substantial assistance", which is allowed in the WADA adopted UCI rules.

babastooey said:
Armstrong has been exposed as a cheat already, it appears to have nothing to do with Armstrong.

babastooey said:
No.
Armstrong was given a life ban because he was on 6 different charges, if he had offered "substantial assistance" he would have got an 8 year ban.
He refused to co-operate.

babastooey said:
Klier appears to have spoken because he is on Garmin.
I doubt if he was on another team he would have come forward.

And what OPQS did to Levi was good ol Omertà.
babastooey said:
USADA appear to be doing a broad investigation.
They are offering a reduction to those that assist, I dont expect much leeway for the redacted riders.
This appears to be a short term effort.

babastooey said:
This should be the role of the UCI.

But USADA appear to be involved in a broad investigation to expose the full extent of doping and its facilitators in the sport. By doing so and sanctioning people including Doctors, staff, Management etc it has the potential to do more than any other incident.
And - like in all walks of life, allowing some relief to those who co-operate (like Klier) is an essential part of that process.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
babastooey said:

Vaughters doping was outside SOL, so no suspension.

babastooey said:

Barry and Hincapie retired too. They haven't started working for Garmin. Which ex-dopers has started working for Garmin after their suspensions? VDV, Danielson, Zabriskie and Klier all worked for Garmin before they decided to come clean. They didn't get a job with Garmin afterwards, they just didn't lose their job.

babastooey said:

Why would he have to go to Garmin? BMC hired Bobby Julich.

thehog said:
If 6 months was the only penalty I think most would take it and confess.

Some time ago. Less so now there were two penalties. One was the suspension. Then there was the isolating from future employment.

The second type is what stops people from talking.

One could ask themselves would they confess to be out of employment for 2 years and have zero job prospects. Most likely not.

None the less there's no surprised that doping was endemic from 1990 to 2009. From 09 to present day it's morphed but ever present.

good post hoggie

:)

TRENDING THREADS