• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A good set of race wheels

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Half my luck that I have a fair bit of money coming in soon (I recently discovered that a former workplace of mine owed me a fair bit of money, and then my 2009-10 tax return), I'm going to splash out and get myself a good set of racing wheels.

I want something that is light, but also quite strong as well. I weigh between 75-80kg at the moment, so I need something to accommodate my build and not cause my wheels to break or buckle. My budget is $1500 AUD ($1350 USD).

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Wont get much in Oz for that money but I got a set of renyolds attack wheels from US for $1500 and I am (or should be) around that weight.
they are realy nice and feel great .

Gravity Zero in Melbourne make a good wheelset try their web site or Cycle sport Victoria web they are UCI tested.

Get a powertap, best investment I made regarding cycle products.
Get fitted by Steve Hogg in Sydney. He is the best in the world they say.
Pair of race wheels doesnt make that much difference, nor does a super light bike compared to proper set up and proper training.

IMHO, these 2 things are the best money can buy for legal performance increases.

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Lots of people are trying to liquidate highend equipment.

If you don mind slightly used, Zipp 404s with ceramic bearings, Reynolds DVs,
Eastons are super stiff and reasonably priced(new).

Lots of choices out there.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
High end means tubular to me
Just don't forget the cost of tyres and glue
As above, close out is the way to go, best bit is tubular wheels are the sort of things that get the biggest discounts because people are scared of them. I saw a pair of Reynolds 46mm Carbon tubulars for US$1000, by the time they are landed and dressed you still have change, that is pretty much impossible to beat for 1300gm deep section wheels

May 4, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Half my luck that I have a fair bit of money coming in soon (I recently discovered that a former workplace of mine owed me a fair bit of money, and then my 2009-10 tax return), I'm going to splash out and get myself a good set of racing wheels.

I want something that is light, but also quite strong as well. I weigh between 75-80kg at the moment, so I need something to accommodate my build and not cause my wheels to break or buckle. My budget is $1500 AUD ($1350 USD).

Mavic Ksyrium ES clincher.
Light, moderately aero - low sploke count and bladed spokes, smooth bearings and no farting around with glue. And they will probably be within your budget.

I've ridden mine in some long races over the last few years (weigh 77kg) over some rough nsw roads and they are still round. They seem considerably faster than my training wheels - mavic open pro on dura ace hubs.

If you spend more than $1000 buying from overseas the customs people will hit you for import duty and gst.

TRENDING THREADS