• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A hypothetical on prizemoney (if Zirbel won GC and domestiques shared prizemoney?)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hypothetical for you:

riding as a domestique for (an assumedly) Zirbel*, who went on a tear late in the season. The prizemoney pooled in a pot, and those domestiques got an equal share.

If you are a clean rider, and espouses riding clean, you got some of Zirbel's unearned winnings in your pocket.

What do you do with it? What do you do if you paid tax on it?

*this hypothetical assumes TZ was on a doping program, which he may or may not have been, and he is entitled to the B test, and then a hearing if he contests it

blackcat said:
hypothetical for you:

riding as a domestique for (an assumedly) Zirbel*, who went on a tear late in the season. The prizemoney pooled in a pot, and those domestiques got an equal share.

If you are a clean rider, and espouses riding clean, you got some of Zirbel's unearned winnings in your pocket.

*this hypothetical assumes TZ was on a doping program, which he may or may not have been, and he is entitled to the B test, and then a hearing if he contests it

Not much of a dilemma for me--I'd keep it.

blackcat said:
what if you talk all pure like Dave Millar?

yeah, you'd still keep it, cos Millar is full'o' BS

Well, if I'm David Millar I'm not worried about splitting domestique-level prize money, so that's easy to refuse. I think he's well set.

If I'm a pro domestique who's staunchly anti-doping, I keep the money. Unless I knew all about it and was complicit, but that's not the scenario you proposed (I think).

If I knew about it all along, I'm still going to keep it frankly, and examine whether I want to be on that team or in the sport in the future. But then what guarantees do I have that the next guy or the next team won't turn up dirty either? I'd really not be likely to literally pay for the other guy's mistakes.

Not saying it's perfect, but at first glance I'm pretty sure I'd not be donating my winnings to the other teams on the chance that they're all clean and more deserving.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
hypothetical for you:

You send a check back to the promoter of the race. Taxes aren't an issue since you haven't files yet as the year isn't over, and you don't get an I-9 for prize money splits.

That, of course, is assuming that the promoter has even paid up yet, which for larger races is a big assumption.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:
You send a check back to the promoter of the race. Taxes aren't an issue since you haven't files yet as the year isn't over, and you don't get an I-9 for prize money splits.

That, of course, is assuming that the promoter has even paid up yet, which for larger races is a big assumption.
yep, but as Flandrian rouge said, chance you are just filling up another's (doper's) pocket with prizmoney, now thats irony.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
yep, but as Flandrian rouge said, chance you are just filling up another's (doper's) pocket with prizmoney, now thats irony.

You probably are, but that's not the point in my opinion. If you believe in fair competition your first responsibility is to yourself, and looking yourself in the mirror. After that, worrying about that over which you have no control gets a little pointless.

By the way I think it is a good question.

I would not return it.

Come on, I busted my **** off for a rider that I thought was clean. I still deserve some merit. And still have the family to feed. Besides if you think everyone in that team is doping better look for another team next year. If can not find a clean team, then you don't have many choices for the sport you love. Just ask Livingston or Frankie Andreu what they think.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
My Drug Tainted prize money.

Send to Ballsolo
Send to Greg LeMond for his Junior team.
Send to WADA
Pay Floyd and Tylers retirement 401k

Alpe d'Huez said:
I would not return it.

I would consider donating a portion (all if I'm financially doing well enough) to an organization like Bike Pure.

I would however express my disappointment, and continue to speak out against doping, and support anti-doping causes.

We already raised the hypothetical that you are a pro on a US team however.