• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A New Floyd Fairness Fund?

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
After reading about how Floyd kicked off this whole LA takedown, I felt compelled to help the guy out, maybe send him a few bucks.

Out of everyone, he seems to have gotten more of a raw deal than anyone.

Would anyone here be interested in setting up a new Floyd "You were right all along" Fund? Maybe help him pay back some of that nearly $500k he's on the hook for.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
galarneau said:
After reading about how Floyd kicked off this whole LA takedown, I felt compelled to help the guy out, maybe send him a few bucks.

Out of everyone, he seems to have gotten more of a raw deal than anyone.

Would anyone here be interested in setting up a new Floyd "You were right all along" Fund? Maybe help him pay back some of that nearly $500k he's on the hook for.

FFD campaign would be better. He has to pay people back, but they can forgive his debt. I think a

Forgive Floyd's Debt - no money required, just reconciliation and acknowledgement that he started the snowball to get things to a point where they can be made right.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
FFD campaign would be better. He has to pay people back, but they can forgive his debt. I think a

Forgive Floyd's Debt - no money required, just reconciliation and acknowledgement that he started the snowball to get things to a point where they can be made right.

I'd sign that. Just thinking that Floyd might be held in a better light than Lance is repayment enough.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Would suggest the timing for that may be better after Kimmage trial. As the Kimmage fund has shown, donations tail off after a month or so. So launching it for maximium impact is critical to generate maximum funds. Whichever way the Kimmage trial goes, there will be high Floyd interest.

Am certainly interested to donate by the way.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes, lets congratulate a person who first doped, lied, swindled and then fessed up and made to return the swindle by giving him more money. I hear some bank robbers also would like to have their fines reduced can you sent them a few bucks while you're at it.

Just let him do his time/fine, you can build him a new house once he's done with it if you're that desperate to see him ???

Yes, he helped take down Lance but really why not let him learn one lesson at a time?

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Zweistein said:
A man with nothing to lose is a dangerous thing.

Floyd had a lot to lose when he took on LA. Very few did take him on. And they all lost out big time so far.

He made a lot of mistakes. Pretty much all of them did & many/most (?) still do.

He decided to finally tell it as it is. Very few did.

And repay those he swindled. No-one else I know so far.

So I'm OK with Floyd, and I'll donate.

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Seeing the success of the Kimmage fund it had thought one for Floyd could work myself. Why should he pay such a price in all of this when no one else is ?

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
There is absolutely no comparison between Floyd's circumstances and Kimmage's. I wish Floyd the best in his endeavours to pay back the money he ripped off and whatever else he does in the future but I don't see the need to contribute.. He must be laughing his rs off at the moment though.

All Floyd did wrong was be like the others. When he stopped being like the others, he was again as he was before: a heck of guy. Strong head, funny enough to shame Eddie Murphie.

I wish Floyd would get a good (show bizz) manager to get him to reach his potential as a personality. Why would Lance get 6-figure speaking engagements and Floyd none? We need a new book by Floyd. For free if you were stupid enough to buy the first one (it will be destroyed at shop counter as payment), else just pay up and enjoy the reading.
Floyd can be the key figure in having a movie be made on all of this. He can scoop up the money, repay what he's being asked to repay, and fun a Nascar campaign. Heck, I'd love for him to hit the Masters circuit. There should be a lot of racing left in him. Especially when life offers him a mental tailwind for once.
Floyd should start a brand, maybe multiple. I'd buy a t-shirt that says "I was RIGHT, beotches!" or similar. All revenue directly into the pockets of Floyd.
Please let someone help the guy cashing in, the moral and fun way?

ElChingon said:
Yes, lets congratulate a person who first doped, lied, swindled and then fessed up and made to return the swindle by giving him more money. I hear some bank robbers also would like to have their fines reduced can you sent them a few bucks while you're at it.

Just let him do his time/fine, you can build him a new house once he's done with it if you're that desperate to see him ???

Yes, he helped take down Lance but really why not let him learn one lesson at a time?

Yes Sir, well said.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I did a thread on the same topic not so long ago. Got similar responses.

But, I also heard from somebody who talks to Floyd on occasion. He said Floyd could not be involved in such a fund-raising scheme, it would violate the terms of the sentence. Doesn't mean somebody couldn't do it and give him the money. It does mean he couldn't have anything to do with it.

However, I want to get Floyd to answer a couple of questions before I ever start trying to assist. The #1 question is "How much are you making these days?" What with speaking engagements and whatnot, he could be making 200K a year - I sure don't have any idea! If he IS making 100K a year or more, I think he'll be ok. If he's struggling to find paying work, it would be a different story.

In spite of the fact that Floyd lied his **** off, he did it for what he thought were "honorable" reasons - just a little warped. He was trying to be a team player, trying to play the game the right way, the accepted way. Doesn't make it right, but it does mean I accept his human frailty, and believe he is on a better course now.

Oh, yeah. One other thing - apparently Floyd would be interested in having a website where people could go and "forgive" his debt to them - apparently that would be cool with Floyd, and with the law. I did send a question through a 3rd party, asking if he had a database of the donors (he should, and I would be a little surprised if he didn't), as an email campaign would probably be a better choice than a website, imo. Never heard back on that, but I'm not sure if it even go to him. Anybody do webpages and javascript? Or some sort of scripting and data-backed web page work? Python - whatever.

hiero2 said:
In spite of the fact that Floyd lied his **** off, he did it for what he thought were "honorable" reasons - just a little warped. He was trying to be a team player, trying to play the game the right way, the accepted way. Doesn't make it right, but it does mean I accept his human frailty, and believe he is on a better course now.

What "team" was Floyd playing for? He'd just been stripped of his TdF wins. It appears to me that he was playing for himself.

You say that Floyd was "trying to play the game the right way." Was he doing that when he was threatening to expose LeMond's secret?

Floyd's pro cycling career wasn't "a little warped." It was a disgrace.

I agree that Floyd is on a better course now. Anything is better than being a lying, cheating fraud.

On a practical note, I'd suggest people wait and see how Floyd fares in his qui tam before lining up to forgive his debts or give him their money.

Give your money to Kimmage instead. That man needs it.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
If it is acceptable for DZ, CVdV, Danielson, Vaughters, Leipheimer to continue in the sport why not Landis?

He was manipulated by Armstrong. The sport was a worse cess pit back then than it is now, so I dont blame Landis for following the guy who appeared to be able make positives disappear not reaslising that Armstrong was throwing him under the bus.

TRENDING THREADS