• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A New Job for Floyd perhaps??

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion if the WADA and US anti doping agency were serious about eradicating doping, why not hire a "whistleblower" like Floyd or Kohl to help catch the cheats. Lets face it, Floyd and Kohl have probably burnt so many bridges in cycling that they won't be on many pro's Christmas card list anyway, so why not turn their situation into a positive influence.

The knowledge these guys must have on how to dope and how to beat detection would be invaluable to the testing agencies. I believe the UCI to have a powder puff attitude to doping, they want to protect cycling and not crap where they eat and they must be dreading the thought of a possible ban on the latest tour winner. Meanwhile the anti doping agencies don't care about this, they want equality amongst competitors, and lets face it, so do we.

The initial reaction in the pro peleton would be extremely negative i'm sure. If one of their own starting working against them, but I think, in time young riders of the future who will soon take over the mantle will appreciate a cleaner sport on a level playing ground.

To me, this would seem a logical move in a step forward to fight doping.

Cheers

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Squinzy said:
In my opinion if the WADA and US anti doping agency were serious about eradicating doping, why not hire a "whistleblower" like Floyd or Kohl to help catch the cheats. Lets face it, Floyd and Kohl have probably burnt so many bridges in cycling that they won't be on many pro's Christmas card list anyway, so why not turn their situation into a positive influence.

The knowledge these guys must have on how to dope and how to beat detection would be invaluable to the testing agencies. I believe the UCI to have a powder puff attitude to doping, they want to protect cycling and not crap where they eat and they must be dreading the thought of a possible ban on the latest tour winner. Meanwhile the anti doping agencies don't care about this, they want equality amongst competitors, and lets face it, so do we.

The initial reaction in the pro peleton would be extremely negative i'm sure. If one of their own starting working against them, but I think, in time young riders of the future who will soon take over the mantle will appreciate a cleaner sport on a level playing ground.

Cheers

I thinking there are tons of other riders that Landis chose not to smoke. His interest was specifically targeted.

First, both Kohl and Floyd have spoken to quite a few authorities on how they doped. Probably more than any other cyclist, along with Papp, Manzano and Jasche. Unless you're saying their respective anti-doping organizations should hire them for this information?

I can't imagine you're saying they should try to infiltrate teams and gather new information. That wouldn't be possible as dopers won't really talk to any of these guys other than cursory salutations.

I do believe however that anti-doping organizations could definitely benefit from both whistleblower rewards, plus use moles to infiltrate doping rings and help bust riders. That, if successful, would definitely send huge shockwaves through the sport.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Squinzy said:
In my opinion if the WADA and US anti doping agency were serious about eradicating doping, why not hire a "whistleblower" like Floyd or Kohl to help catch the cheats.
Cheers

Do not overlook the importance of whistleblowers within WADA and the UCI.
The whistleblower at the Cologne Lab prevented a coverup of epic proportion.

Alpe d'Huez said:
.... plus use moles to infiltrate doping rings and help bust riders. That, if successful, would definitely send huge shockwaves through the sport.

There have been moles in place for many years. In fact, one major rider (who will be retiring next year) has been a mole since 1999. You will NEVER guess who lol.

scribe said:
I thinking there are tons of other riders that Landis chose not to smoke. His interest was specifically targeted.

Well his email was to the USADA, right? So I'd assume the riders he named (Americans) were not the only ones he saw dope, but were the relevant ones for that authoritative body. Is that what you're implying, or something else?

Sidenote - I've always been curious why he named Michael Barry and Matt White, even though they weren't American.

Jul 25, 2010
twitter.com
On one hand it'd be great if riders grassed each other up with a whistleblower system, but on the other hand it'd be open to abuse. People will get blackmailed & much worse being wrongly accused of doping by a competitor/teammate with a grudge against you.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Squinzy said:

Cheers

they cheated to win. why would you suddenly trust their honesty in a job like that?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
There have been moles in place for many years. In fact, one major rider (who will be retiring next year) has been a mole since 1999. You will NEVER guess who lol.

This might be painful for some in this forum. After reading the current Outside magazine I imagine Mr. Novitsky shall be wearing a Livestrong band next year.

Quite an objective article I must say.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Squinzy said:

Cheers

Doping evolves much more quickly than any agency or rider or former rider can predicate. At least that is how I saw it in the 70s. Maybe the doping techniques have become less sophisticated in 2010?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
patricknd said:
they cheated to win. why would you suddenly trust their honesty in a job like that?

+1

It is bad form to reward a cheater. Sends a horrid example to those who may consider doping: one can cheat and come up roses.

Bleed 'em dry and let 'em go.

And as far as getting insider info on the how-to of doping, their processes will already be replaced by evolved methods and PEDs. It is like getting stock trading tips off the TV. Just enough behind the times to be practically useless.