• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

a non omerta bike

May 26, 2010
Visit site
is it possible to buy a bike that is removed from PED and the omerta

or

is that unreal.

I want to purchase a new road bike or 2. might get a nice steel frame and a carbon one.

Now if you didn't want to line the pockets of certain companies who embrace the omerta who/what would you pick, include components if you wish..

i am not gonna even look a t rek and their 'kind'

so recommend so positive role model manufacturers...

budget is not a problem.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
is it possible to buy a bike that is removed from PED and the omerta

or

is that unreal.

I want to purchase a new road bike or 2. might get a nice steel frame and a carbon one.

Now if you didn't want to line the pockets of certain companies who embrace the omerta who/what would you pick, include components if you wish..

i am not gonna even look a t rek and their 'kind'

so recommend so positive role model manufacturers...

budget is not a problem.

Did someone forget to lock the door at the clinic? :eek:

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Look at Marinoni or get crazy and buy a Boo (bamboo). If money is not object, look at a custom boutique like Landshark or any number of custom builders.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Guidokcd said:
Look at Marinoni or get crazy and buy a Boo (bamboo). If money is not object, look at a custom boutique like Landshark or any number of custom builders.

cheers would love to try a boo....custom made is on my radar too.:cool:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
If you are in North America you could purchase from just about anyone who exhibits at NAHBS, and would very likely meet your quirky criteria :)

I recently bought a Lynskey...handmade titanium...if I had had the money I would have looked at their custom program....Moots, Serrota all have pretty kick @ss custom titanium programs too...

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm just stuck on the bit about budget not being a problem and wondering whether to buy a couple of bikes or just the one.

I hate you :D

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
if you want it moved why you continue ignoring the unsavoury aspects of pro cycling please ask a mod to move it...:D

LOL! I'm always lurking in the clinic... I was only joking anyway, I see what you're saying.

I guess if money were no object I'd look into a Crumpton.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If budget is not a problem go with Lynskey, Litespeed, Moots, Serotta or Seven and get a custom Ti, as others have already stated. Or find a local frame builder and get a nice custom steel frame.

Just choose a bike from any one of a zillion makers that are too small to sponsor European teams. Even most of the bigger makers are probably not doing anything to actively encrouage doping. The bottom line may be to stay away from Trek, which has built a large part of its expansion on support of a blatantly obvious doper and punished Lemond for speaking out about doping. BMC may not be a great choice either.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Just choose a bike from any one of a zillion makers that are too small to sponsor European teams. Even most of the bigger makers are probably not doing anything to actively encrouage doping. The bottom line may be to stay away from Trek, which has built a large part of its expansion on support of a blatantly obvious doper and punished Lemond for speaking out about doping. BMC may not be a great choice either.

thanks for all the suggestions so far keep them coming:)

yeah Bro, i am pretty much thinking that. Cervelo have made some positive comments, but their women win alot and i am suspicious of them as the italians and spanish riders are 'probably' on doctor's programmes...

but my leaning is to get a handmade titanium frame and kit it out with bits of secondhand accessories, sort of retro, still in the planning and a nice carbon with durace or super record, but still undecided..defo not sram as uniballer has 15% of them...

i do reckon if more fans spoke up about bike companies and other related manufacturers being non committal on PEDs it would put extra pressure on the sport as a whole....

when i get my bikes together i might put togther a letter with pics and tell all the major bike co's why i did it and tell them i am gonna advocate it on forums and see the replies i get from the likes of bianchi, da rosa, colnago, pinarrello, cannondale etc.....not gonna bother with anything uniballer related or bmc....be a waste of my time and as trék are so deep in uniballer they would not reply...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Anything used at Protour level can be tainted.
You say Pinarello, which is great example with SKY ...but maybe no so good with the other team.

Cervelo most definitely were the first to have the strong ethical view of cycling, so much so the started their own team to break the links with the "old ways" yet does that mean every rider who has ever ridden a Cervelo is OK? Well...
You target BMC but they have tried to wipe their past away, and as soon as there were any questions about riders they benched them (Though NONE of the other 30 people were from ANY team) so maybe the intention is there, yet Frei went at almost the same time.
Milram on their Focus could be a good choice, they changed countries to get away from the "Mediterranean" culture, yet half the team is from Gerolsteiner including the Doctor that Kohl named as working with him. And they hired Zarbel after he confessed. Colnago, as ridden by the Chicken, Cannondale and DeLuca. Bianchi still idolise Pantani, as do most of the world, it seems to me. (Note I am not even going to mention the other one...)
Oh, yeah, and you mention Pegoretti, fine stuff, but do you know some of the frames he built for riders that were branded as someone else's? The list includes the aforementioned Pantani as well as Landis!

What am I saying, it is all very well for you to take a personal ethical stance, and you should be congratulated for that, but unless you go to a small independent builder (and even then) you are inevitably going to find Some link, somewhere.

I am assuming an Museeuw is out of the question then?:)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Notso Swift said:

What am I saying, it is all very well for you to take a personal ethical stance, and you should be congratulated for that, but unless you go to a small independent builder (and even then) you are inevitably going to find Some link, somewhere.

I am assuming an Museeuw is out of the question then?:)

i asked for the reasons that i would like to support manufacturers who are non omerta and pro active in an anti doping stance, also apart from cervelo, to know others who take this stance..

second i wanted people's recommendations:)

I saw a beautiful moser in a shop valued at €25,000.00euro(not for sale):eek:, bike is about 30-35 years old super record throughout. moser is off my list:rolleyes:

there are absolutely lots of beautiful frames out there, i had a look at some Tommasini frames on the net the other night, beautiful....

TRENDING THREADS