• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A proper team for Contador

Now looking at the Astana line up for Vuelta al Pa?s Vasco it looks a lot more like a trial line up for a GT Team. Something that was not evident at Paris-Nice last month...

Haimar Zubeldia, Yaroslav Popovych, Sergio Paulinho, Jos? Luis Rubiera, Chris Horner, Jes?s Hern?ndez and Alexsandr Dyachenko

Be interesting to see how it plays out

Just add Lance Armstrong, Andreas Kloden, Levi leipheimer and Janez Brajkovic . Plus a few swapsees for couple of stronger kazzak riders because it is a kazzah team, say Iglinsky and that is the sweetest of sweet line ups to ever line up for the le tour ever.

Even the team above should be strong enough to provide AC with the win. That team would still do pretty good in the tour i reakon

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
All part of the plan to give Contador as many wins as possible so that he will be there to support Armstrong in the Tour de France. He owes Armstrong for getting him out of being busted for CERA in last year's Giro d'Italia.

Apr 6, 2009
Visit site
patswana said:
All part of the plan to give Contador as many wins as possible so that he will be there to support Armstrong in the Tour de France. He owes Armstrong for getting him out of being busted for CERA in last year's Giro d'Italia.

uh? please remind me, how many was busted for CERA in last years Giro?

Horner did quite well yesterday, and besides, all riders in the exclusive group going first over that last, very steep, bump in the end, had no team mates with them. When Joaquin Rodriques goes all out up an 10% ascent, only the very very best will be able to follow.

patswana said:

Contador should be resting on a beach.instead of burning himself out trying to prove he should be team leader.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Contador should be resting on a beach.instead of burning himself out trying to prove he should be team leader.

Well he won this event last year, then went and rested on a beach before he got the shock call up to ride the Giro d'Italia. Providing you believe that story, that is...

So I think he'll be right.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
Now looking at the Astana line up for Vuelta al Pa?s Vasco it looks a lot more like a trial line up for a GT Team. Something that was not evident at Paris-Nice last month...

Haimar Zubeldia, Yaroslav Popovych, Sergio Paulinho, Jos? Luis Rubiera, Chris Horner, Jes?s Hern?ndez and Alexsandr Dyachenko

Be interesting to see how it plays out

It is also interesting to think if this team would be present for Contador if the injury had not occurred. Perhaps a definate shift in team dynamics now.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Its about time they gave him support,as the team at Paris-Nice was laughable.Kloeden had better support at Tirreno.I hope A.C. leaves for another team at end of season,a team that really wants him.

A

Anonymous

campagchris said:
Its about time they gave him support,as the team at Paris-Nice was laughable.Kloeden had better support at Tirreno.I hope A.C. leaves for another team at end of season,a team that really wants him.

AC should stay with Astana because he won't have a team like this around him anywhere else. Plus, LA won't be there for 7 more tours. So AC will have the sole team leadership in a year.

...and weren't Levi and Horner out injured for Paris-Nice? Too bad AC blew that one himself.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
If God himself had been riding Paris-Nice do you think for 1 minute they would have given him the C Team.I doubt it.
Contador blew because he had to do all the work himself.He had no team mates with him on the day he blew nor the day before when he had to make another massive effort.Plus at least 2 of his team DNF.That would never happen if LA was there.
Bruyneel has made no secret about his love for god and what he thinks about A.C. so I would be leaving.
I dissagree he couldn't find a strong team like Astana. Team Saxo Bank,Caisse d'Epargne,Team Columbia - Highroad,just 3 that spring to mind.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
A team of 30+ year old has beens the 'greatest team ever to line up at the TdF ever'? Please, don't make me laugh any harder I may bust a rib. Ever look at the line up of any of the French or Italian national teams that lined up in the 40s and 50s - a team with Coppi and Bartali on it makes Astana look like the average bunch they actually are.

LL Sanchez will also have a lot to say about whether Contador and his 'super team' win at Pais Vasco - he is quite clearly the short stage racer in form at the moment.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I dont think Cont will be superman at all against Lance and Ivan Basso.

There's a picture out there of Lance holding up a sign that says "Contadope sucks." Could have been doctored but it looked real to me.

lance_contadope_sucks.jpg

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
brun sweater said:
uh? please remind me, how many was busted for CERA in last years Giro?

Horner did quite well yesterday, and besides, all riders in the exclusive group going first over that last, very steep, bump in the end, had no team mates with them. When Joaquin Rodriques goes all out up an 10% ascent, only the very very best will be able to follow.

Nobody was busted at last year's Giro for CERA because there was no test for it then. But, both Ricco and Sella, having placed 2nd & 5th, did test positive later. And guess who beat them after sitting on the beach relaxing a week before the start?

The Giro organisers were asked about doing retrospective CERA testing of the Giro '08 samples after the test was introduced. They made two announcements in quick succession. Firstly, they would not go back and test those samples. Secondly, Armstrong was coming to the Giro and with him a whole lot of extra interest and $$$. That is why Contador owes Armstrong and will be riding for him at the Tour.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Apparently that's how he finds his best GT form anyway :D

He rode this last year and I'm sure it's part of his build up, but he seems to want to race to win every time he goes out.

bianchigirl said:
A team of 30+ year old has beens the 'greatest team ever to line up at the TdF ever'? Please, don't make me laugh any harder I may bust a rib. Ever look at the line up of any of the French or Italian national teams that lined up in the 40s and 50s - a team with Coppi and Bartali on it makes Astana look like the average bunch they actually are.

LL Sanchez will also have a lot to say about whether Contador and his 'super team' win at Pais Vasco - he is quite clearly the short stage racer in form at the moment.

I guess we'll find out soon. Contador won the Mtn. finish today and has the lead on GC. Great work by Horner today.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Avg. speed to the winner was 40kph. Seems pretty high for Queen stage difficulty.

I guess we can brace ourselves for unbelievably high speeds at the TdF compared to the more realistic ones last year (even though I thought CSC was on gear).

Regarding teams for Contador, you would think he would want to ride for a team run by someone who finds him incredible. Johan certainly stuck his foot in his mouth a few times with his whole thing about being bored until Lance came back.

Trouble is, where does AC go? Columbia is out. I think, for now, these guys are trying to play clean. No way would AC be a superstar like his is without good gear.

Saxo Bank already have their boys. Plus, Johan has shown one thing, above everything else, he and his teams do NOT get caught unless that rider leaves to ride for someone else who does not have the smarts to stay ahead of the law.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:

AC proves, yet again, that he is ALWAYS in top form. Cycling will stay in the crapper until they successfully bust these b@stards. I'm sick of it.

TRENDING THREADS