• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A Question about the Schlecks/Contador

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I know there are a few insiders lurking about the forum, but the timing of the Schleck brothers announcing their departure and Contador actually going to the team of his rivals seems like something more than a coincidence and opportunity.

Soes any one know how long Riis has been after Contador? (The Specialized endorsement makes the move seem a good fit)

Does anyone know when the Chleck borthers became aware that Riis was courting their greatest rival? It seems that the time needed to secure funding and raise the prospect of a new cycling team is nor something that would happen in the space of a week. That would seem to indicate that the Saxo Bank Team was aware of the overtures and the likely acceptance of Contador relatively early in the season.

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this?

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
gree0232 said:
I know there are a few insiders lurking about the forum, but the timing of the Schleck brothers announcing their departure and Contador actually going to the team of his rivals seems like something more than a coincidence and opportunity.

Soes any one know how long Riis has been after Contador? (The Specialized endorsement makes the move seem a good fit)

Does anyone know when the Chleck borthers became aware that Riis was courting their greatest rival? It seems that the time needed to secure funding and raise the prospect of a new cycling team is nor something that would happen in the space of a week. That would seem to indicate that the Saxo Bank Team was aware of the overtures and the likely acceptance of Contador relatively early in the season.

Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on this?
By all accounts the Schleck brothers moved first and then Riis contacted Contador. The Team Schleck project began early this year and became fully public before the Tour while the contact to Contador is believed to have been established during or very shortly before the Tour.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
no I agree with you, it does seem a little suspicious. Team Schleck may have been in formation from the beginning of the year, but I don't think Bjarne would have known definately until a month or two ago. And that's a bit of time, but still it's not that long to convince a sponsor (that has already said they were leaving a long time ago) to commit for another year and sign the worlds biggest rider.

So with all that going on it makes me think that Riis had a plan to get Contador from a long time ago and perhaps that just pushed the Schlecks desires to leave even more if they found out this.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Cerberus said:
By all accounts the Schleck brothers moved first and then Riis contacted Contador. The Team Schleck project began early this year and became fully public before the Tour while the contact to Contador is believed to have been established during or very shortly before the Tour.

+1. All that makes perfect sense, IMO. Can't see why they would want to move on Contador while Schlecks are still there - Schlecks would've had to move first.

I really have to feel for the Schlecks though. I know it was their choice to leave, but I think it's all Saxo Bank's fault. SB bail on sponsorship, then they're back when Contador's on board. That's gotta hurt a little.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
The first talks between Contador and Riis were in April, according to Dutch cycling pundit Mart Smeets. I tend to not really believe whatever the guy says, unless it involves Bruyneel or Riis, because he seems to be part of their circle of friends.

That sounds plausible. Anderson got "released from his contract" mid June. So Riis must have figured out months ago that he had to look for other options than the Schlecks.

He seems to have aimed for plan A+ instead of plan B. Nice move by Bjarne I gotta say.

danyela said:
no I agree with you, it does seem a little suspicious. Team Schleck may have been in formation from the beginning of the year, but I don't think Bjarne would have known definately until a month or two ago. And that's a bit of time, but still it's not that long to convince a sponsor (that has already said they were leaving a long time ago) to commit for another year and sign the worlds biggest rider.

So with all that going on it makes me think that Riis had a plan to get Contador from a long time ago and perhaps that just pushed the Schlecks desires to leave even more if they found out this.

I think that you may be projecting your own hopes into shaping the situation as you desire it to have transpired. We all were aware that Riis had major sponsorship issues way before the Schleck's made their announcement about Team Luxembourg. Of course likely there would've been no Team Luxembourg if the Schlecks hadn't been confronted with the chance that there would be no more Team Saxo Bank. As far as we know, Riis had nothing concrete to offer Contador at the time of the Schleck's announcement. It was a similar situation to Contador's efforts to retain some of the riders from the 2009 Tour winning team. He had nothing concrete to offer them and thus they had to go where there was security. Security over loyalty for some of the parties involved.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
The first talks between Contador and Riis were in April, according to Dutch cycling pundit Mart Smeets. I tend to not really believe whatever the guy says, unless it involves Bruyneel or Riis, because he seems to be part of their circle of friends.

and that's especially why cancellara is mad at riis

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I think that you may be projecting your own hopes into shaping the situation as you desire it to have transpired. We all were aware that Riis had major sponsorship issues way before the Schleck's made their announcement about Team Luxembourg. Of course likely there would've been no Team Luxembourg if the Schlecks hadn't been confronted with the chance that there would be no more Team Saxo Bank. As far as we know, Riis had nothing concrete to offer Contador at the time of the Schleck's announcement. It was a similar situation to Contador's efforts to retain some of the riders from the 2009 Tour winning team. He had nothing concrete to offer them and thus they had to go where there was security. Security over loyalty for some of the parties involved.

Technically, he had nothing to offer Contador either - as it was known that Contador would be signed before the formal announcement of a new/same sponsor.

Furthermore, the Specialized contract for Contador, an dthe fact that they sponsor both Astana and Saxo Bank indicates that there is at least one informal channel open between Contador and Riis, indicating that this could have been in the works for quite some time.

These things take time to set up and formalize. The announcement coming so soon on the heels of the TdF, rather than before or during, seems to indicate that the deal was largely in place prior to the TdF and the Schleck's decision to announce they were leaving makes sense if this were so. It would also make the gag order from Riis make sense as the signing of the Astana Star to his team, even as his team provided the strongest rival, would have added some credibility issues to the TdF.

Additionally, if Riis had a sponsor lined up, then the Schleck leaving only makes sense if they got wind of Contador coming. The team is just to strong to make it plausible to want to leave the team for an unknown team if the Schlecks have GT goals in mind. Once Contador shows up, and especially given the announcement of 'goals' set out by Riis for Contador, anyone with GT desires just got washed over.

If the Armstrong/Contador rivalry was a bust this year, I think the Schleck/Contador rivalry next years will be a sight to behold.

I realize nothing here rises above the level of speculation, but I find the sudden and abrupt timing to understate the preparation time required to set it up.

Again, just curious about what the 'insiders' know about when these contacts were known.

IMO, the Schlecks are doing exactly what they should be doing.