• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A.S.O. and LA

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi all - First time / long time.

Disclaimer - I am not an LA "fanboy" or a "teabagger", nor am I a "hater". Having said that, my question is that given the lack of love between the Tour organizer A.S.O. and LA, why does A.S.O. allow LA to participate at all given the 1999 6 positive samples (or some other execuse)?

I understand the whole retro-testing aspect so that's why there wasn't a two year ban blah blah blah, but it's the A.S.O.'s party and they profess not to like LA..... so why allow him in?

A

Anonymous

VeloFidelis said:
Love him or hate him, you can't get around the fact that Lance is the biggest draw in cycling. ASO is running a business called the Tour de France. What would you do in their situation?

Yep, that is the whole enchilada there.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
I agree that they (A.S.O.) are doing what they realistically have to do. Especially from a purely business POV.

However it does seem to undermine their disdain for LA that was thinly veiled at best by end of Tour 2005. You might think on principle they'd forgo the $$'s On second thought.........

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
...Profit before principle....

I would assume ASO now regret the video at the 2006 Tour presentation where it showed the highlights of the 2005 Tour and cut to a shot of LA on the podium and then they 'smashed' the picture in to little bits!

Yup, purely about money. The ASO firing the top men who believed in fighting doping says everything. As does allowing the UCI back into the testing process for the TdF.

The big question is will it work. Pandora's box has been opened. Can they close it by pretending that the sport has been largely cleaned up?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Yup, purely about money. The ASO firing the top men who believed in fighting doping says everything. As does allowing the UCI back into the testing process for the TdF.

The big question is will it work. Pandora's box has been opened. Can they close it by pretending that the sport has been largely cleaned up?

Just had this same discussion on the "Response to Lances thread.... Where is Pro Cycling Heading" ... but that thread has turned in to a fight, fight, fight!!

In the short term, maybe - however a Police type raid or investigation would set things back to worse than before the Tour 2006.

Dr. Maserati said:
Just had this same discussion on the "Response to Lances thread.... Where is Pro Cycling Heading" ... but that thread has turned in to a fight, fight, fight!!

In the short term, maybe - however a Police type raid or investigation would set things back to worse than before the Tour 2006.

I think so much has come out already that the lid cannot be put back on. Aside from the truly naive, all the fans know what is going on. As you say, all it would take is another police raid to make things worse.

Looking at the response that are expressed on numerous cycling forums about the various actions and statements by the UCI, it does not look like the UCI has much credibility to use to construct a facade of cleanliness.

I also think that it is only a matter of time before more info about the mid 90s to mid 00s leaks out. As riders retire and move further away from the sport, they will talk. A rider like Hamilton or Landis will eventually crack and tell all.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Agree completely with you guys about money. Good posts.

Patrice Clerc getting dismissed from the ASO was not a good sign.

cover_white.gif