• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A song of ice and fire

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:
True, doesn't mean that those who take the effort to read them and learn the whole background should have to cater to the TV only crowd. A song of ice and fire isn't high literature but it's well developed, reads well and sucks you in.

IMO it's so likeable largely because it isn't toned down or censored and each and every character (with the possible exception of Ned Stark) has a moral grey area and is capable of anything when required. This series has flawed heroes, as well as a few villains with some redeemable qualities, that makes it rather unique for it's field.

I agree with you. What makes these books interesting is these realistic characters. No one is totally good or bad, and no one is totally winner or totally looser. And is not the best or the good one that wins, and none of these characters is a super hero. Something that happens in real life but not very often in literature.

I want to see what the White Walkers are all about. For the moment are just a threat but it would be interesting if Martin had for them, a more extensive role to play. I would expected to see them bringing everything upside down in Westeros, and make all of the Westero's people conflicts look totally insignificant. :D

( and then will come Deanerys to save them all.. :p ha ha ha )

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Don't be such a boring little snob.

The books are good page turners, but terrible literature, so very few people would have their 'tiny brains' perplexed by it.

Agreed, couldn't bear the books.
They are ideal for watching on TV where the great plot can be embellished whilst all the faults with the writing can be lost.

alitogata said:
I agree with you. What makes these books interesting is these realistic characters. No one is totally good or bad, and no one is totally winner or totally looser. And is not the best or the good one that wins, and none of these characters is a super hero. Something that happens in real life but not very often in literature.

I want to see what the White Walkers are all about. For the moment are just a threat but it would be interesting if Martin had for them, a more extensive role to play. I would expected to see them bringing everything upside down in Westeros, and make all of the Westero's people conflicts look totally insignificant. :D

( and then will come Deanerys to save them all.. :p ha ha ha )
The White Walkers are intriguing, I can't help but think that they are somehow tied in with Bran.

I haven't watched Season 3 yet, so I don't know what order everything is occurring. I hope that they cast Victarion well, castings have been a bit hit (Kal Drogo, Tyrion, Brienne, Ned) and miss (Barristan, Loras Tyrell, Gregor Clegane). He's one of my favourite characters so far along with Jaime, Arya and of course, Tyrion :).

Froome19 said:
Agreed, couldn't bear the books.
They are ideal for watching on TV where the great plot can be embellished whilst all the faults with the writing can be lost.
They can take a little work in periods but they are worth persisting with. The whole back story just isn't there with the TV Series. Still great entertainment though.

Watched the first two seasons on dvd. No Game of thrones on the telly here in dutchland. Think they broadcasted a few episodes but it wasn't a success. I barely saw any advertising for it anyway. Anyway in the beginning I was like WTF, didn't understand **** but now I do :p it's pretty cool. Joffrey really needs to be tortured and die a painful death but from what I understood he's still alive in season 3.

I might read the books I think. I want to know what happens next :p

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The books obviously can go into more detail and you get a much better idea of the History/back story from them, although you also can have not much happening for a while, having read the books before the TV Series I can't recall being let down by anything in the TV series. I like both!

I can see the show ending before the books, (maybe if Martin stops attending all these conventions he could get it done in time ;)) and bigger changes being made more often to stuff in the books, particularly Meereen in the next season I think how they handle that will be interesting.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
You haven't been let down by the show even once? I suppose you must not be a fan of Renly, Theon, the Hound or the Mountain.

Sorry, I mean in a big way, something that annoyed me a fair bit, not saying everything has been perfect. Those things wouldn't fall into that category for me.

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
This seems like a Harry Potter thing where people try and tell you you’ve missed out by not reading the books before the movie and then act perplexed when they find out you’ve no interest in watching the movie either.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Watched the first two seasons on dvd. No Game of thrones on the telly here in dutchland. Think they broadcasted a few episodes but it wasn't a success. I barely saw any advertising for it anyway. Anyway in the beginning I was like WTF, didn't understand **** but now I do :p it's pretty cool. Joffrey really needs to be tortured and die a painful death but from what I understood he's still alive in season 3.

I might read the books I think. I want to know what happens next :p

An excellent plan. I got hooked right before the second season started, then read the books that summer/fall, and now am awaiting the next book! So far I have gotten 4 other people hooked, including my roommate last night (we watched 5 episodes last night alone!)

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
42x16ss said:
The White Walkers are intriguing, I can't help but think that they are somehow tied in with Bran.

I haven't watched Season 3 yet, so I don't know what order everything is occurring. I hope that they cast Victarion well, castings have been a bit hit (Kal Drogo, Tyrion, Brienne, Ned) and miss (Barristan, Loras Tyrell, Gregor Clegane). He's one of my favourite characters so far along with Jaime, Arya and of course, Tyrion :).

Why don't you watch it to find out? :) ( I will not tell you. No spoilers for those who haven't watched the 3rd season yet). You can find it all over internet. I watched all of the episodes the day after they aired in UK.

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Potomac said:
I find the Arya chapters among the worst I kept hoping she would get written out.

Why?? I think Arya is one of the most interesting characters in these books.

Cyivel said:
The books obviously can go into more detail and you get a much better idea of the History/back story from them, although you also can have not much happening for a while, having read the books before the TV Series I can't recall being let down by anything in the TV series. I like both!

I can see the show ending before the books, (maybe if Martin stops attending all these conventions he could get it done in time ;)) and bigger changes being made more often to stuff in the books, particularly Meereen in the next season I think how they handle that will be interesting.

They announced that it will probably take 7 seasons to cover the existing 5 books. And Martin has a contract for 7 books..

The Principal Sheep said:
This seems like a Harry Potter thing where people try and tell you you’ve missed out by not reading the books before the movie and then act perplexed when they find out you’ve no interest in watching the movie either.

If you are not interested about the whole thing, then why do you bother to comment here? :confused:

TRENDING THREADS