A Theory Regarding Yellow Livestrong Wristbands

I believe they contain tiny transmitters that emit thought control signals. Thereby reducing the person wearing one to a mindless automaton who will believe whatever the Lance tells him. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hugh Januss said:
I believe they contain tiny transmitters that emit thought control signals. Thereby reducing the person wearing one to a mindless automaton who will believe whatever the Lance tells him. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?

I know I've lost track of LA's tweets since I stopped wearing mine.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Depends, some yellow wristband wearers can draw a distinction between the LAF which does a lot of things to help those suffering from cancer, as a charity, and lance armstrong, professional cyclist

Support of one, does not necassarily mean support of the other. In the same way that i support democracy, i think gordon brown is a ****, i support fair trade, but think body shop are a bunch of exploiting *******..

the two do not come together automatically

i wear a livestrong band and have done for many years, because i think the awareness LAF manage has been the first GLOBAL cancer awareness campaign ever seen, and i have read an awful lot of stories of people who have benefited, and have people personally i my life, who drew comfort from what the LAF does, and who having never heard of lance benefited from reading his story, (to a cancer sufferer, whatever you think of lance the explicit detail of its not about the bike, is inspirational and conforting to many)...
I am not by any stretch of the imagination a lance fanboy, being pretty much neutral on the whole thing..

i kind of object to the insinuation that i am so mindless i cannot tell the difference.. it is my choice to wear one, and my choice not to be a fanboy..

i think we should perhaps credit some people around here with some intelligence..

(i also as a mark of possibly irony wear a bike pure one)
 
Dec 28, 2009
10
0
0
God more Lance BS common really!

I personally couldn't care less about Armstrong. Let's look at the quality of a person and the quality of there relationships with other people. Time and time again Lance Armstrong has been proven by associates and former team mates to be an angry spiteful person who seems to love treating people like crap if they so much as look at him sideways.

As for LAF and Livestrong, what a load of sheit the whole thing is. I have been donating to the Canadian Cancer Society for 2 decades. If memory serves that would have made Armstrong about 17 years old when I was already well aware of cancer and donating money. As well a friends nephew died of brain cancer at the age of 11 and again all the friends and family donated to the Canadian Cancer Society - not to Lance.

Why don't you all wake up and start donating to your local Cancer Socities (which I'm sure have all been around a lot longer than ol Lancey Boy's foundation) and help out people in your local communites that are fighting cancer vs. sending money to a less than stellar human being like Armstrong.

I for one will continue to support my local Cancer Society and not Lance Armstrong's bank account.

Who care's about a stupid yellow braclet wear one if you like or don't.
Either way there are tons of way's to help in the fight against cancer that don't involve Armstrong and a yellow bracelet.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
usedtobefast said:
i got one back when they first came out. it stays in my car, on the turn signal
lever.

So your mind is only controlled while driving then?
 
Jul 6, 2009
795
0
0
wtf 80% of threads on here are pointless as i have said before if you hate la why do you devote time to him kinda funny to me and im no fanboy of anyone there simply athletes thats all. sad for the thread starter maybe make threads about what or who you like not who or what you hate when you focus on the negatives you lose la is not affected by you either way so why waste everyones time. there are quite a few winners on here who should seriously consider suicide really.
 
Trying desperately to stay outta here but...

I am kinda with Dim on this one. The LAF was started before Lance ever won a Tour when he was a nobody to everyone who wasnt a hardcore cycling fan. I remember the 'Ride of the Roses'(whatever happened to that) featuring in an early edition of ProCycling magazine, Big Mig was present and Merckx also I think. There is no doubt in my mind that the LAF was started with a honest, genuine belief in its aims and objectives to raise cancer awareness.
It never started as a tool to promote Lance.

If it still provides inspiration and help for people, then so be it cos I aint gonna rip on something that was started with genuine intentions. I personally have never owned a Livestrong band as when it first was released, it was more like a cool fashion accessory that all the cool people were sporting at the time. Bit of an outsider me.

On the flipside, as time has progressed, I feel Lance has turned it into a PR weapon to defend himself from criticism. I dont mind the LAF as such, just how Lance uses it for his own agenda now, what started as a noble cause is now a PR tool. Its a pity that the two cannot be seperated easily. If you feel the LAF is a good cause, then fine I aint going criticise anyone for that or the LAF itself.

Personally, based on what I now think of Lance, I would rather contribute to other cancer organisations. For example, there is a 'cycle for cancer' every year in my region and this is how Vuelta stage winner Philip Deignan first got involved in cycling by taking part in this event. My father had cancer and I would rather contribut to a localised event like this than the LAF.

44, add some fullstops, commas, u James Joyce or something
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
forty four said:
wtf 80% of threads on here are pointless as i have said before if you hate la why do you devote time to him kinda funny to me and im no fanboy of anyone there simply athletes thats all. sad for the thread starter maybe make threads about what or who you like not who or what you hate when you focus on the negatives you lose la is not affected by you either way so why waste everyones time. there are quite a few winners on here who should seriously consider suicide really.

Good to see your sense of humor functioning normally.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
pmcg76 said:
It never started as a tool to promote Lance.

Actually it was started for just this purpose. It was College's idea at first. It was started as a way to insure Lance had an income in case he was not able to return to cycling.

What you see now as far as the programs go is largely because of the hard work of Doug Ulman and his staff.
 

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
1,852
0
0
forty four said:
wtf 80% of threads on here are pointless...........yada.yada.yada.....there are quite a few winners on here who should seriously consider suicide really.

I use mine to prolong my enjoyment. It gives me Pharmstrong like endurance during my intimate marathons.
 
Jul 4, 2009
340
0
0
buckwheat said:
I use mine to prolong my enjoyment. It gives me Pharmstrong like endurance during my intimate marathons.

Love the post, hard to read or understand when written in pure yellow. But I think most of the things dealing with LA are hard to read or understand.


I will say when my dad went through and finally died of cancer that LA was an inspiration to him. This was a man that ran a sub 2:50 marathon in his forties to get qualified for Boston in the 80s. This was a man who qualified for Kona after colon cancer and chemo had brought him to his knees. There is nothing wrong for anyone going through cancer to grab what they can for hope. If my dad had lived, I think he might be more jaded now but he didn't and I am glad for whatever hope that he had in his final hours.

I am still a neutral observer on the LA war front, at least I try to be. Let us leave livestrong for the people who can gain any sort of hope it.

With that statement, I am sort of saying let Santa Clause be Santa Clause to those who need to believe in him. They need him more than we ever will.

I agree with most the "haters*" on the list that there are better foundations out there. But if LA gets one more dollar spent to cancer research above what was going to happen before, I will live with his face on a billboard, even if less the the outcome of 60% goes to the cause of finding the cure. If it was 1% more money fixing a problem it is better then nothing.

Footnote time.
*hater = on this list pragmatist


Social rant time, while I am conservative, there is nothing in western health care that will cure cancer or any other long term diseases. I could get into details but the simple fact is what is the capitalistic goal of curing diabetes for example? Treatment is easy and reoccurring revenue but still end for quite a few in a very horrible life experience of amputation of their legs. Many types of cancer are the same.

Money is money for these diseases WHO are we to judge how they come into the system. We can only hope that they are not centered on a self serving goal.
 
Oct 29, 2009
1,095
0
0
Race Radio said:
Actually it was started for just this purpose. It was College's idea at first. It was started as a way to insure Lance had an income in case he was not able to return to cycling.

What you see now as far as the programs go is largely because of the hard work of Doug Ulman and his staff.

Incorrect. The wristbands were launched in 2004 by Nike. By that point, we all know Lance had since returned to cycling.

Though I agree with your comments regarding Doug Ulman.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
ImmaculateKadence said:
Incorrect. The wristbands were launched in 2004 by Nike. By that point, we all know Lance had since returned to cycling.

Though I agree with your comments regarding Doug Ulman.

What I wrote has nothing to do with wristbands. LAF was founded in 1997 as a vehicle to insure continued income if Armstrong was unable to return to the sport.
 
Oct 29, 2009
1,095
0
0
Race Radio said:
What I wrote has nothing to do with wristbands. LAF was founded in 1997 as a vehicle to insure continued income if Armstrong was unable to return to the sport.

:eek: My bad. I went back and read the posts. The "it in the post you responded to was referring to the LAF. Though I still disagree: income was not the sole reason.
 
Dec 5, 2009
224
0
0
Livestrong bands

dimspace said:
Depends, some yellow wristband wearers can draw a distinction between the LAF which does a lot of things to help those suffering from cancer, as a charity, and lance armstrong, professional cyclist

Support of one, does not necassarily mean support of the other. In the same way that i support democracy, i think gordon brown is a ****, i support fair trade, but think body shop are a bunch of exploiting *******..

the two do not come together automatically

i wear a livestrong band and have done for many years, because i think the awareness LAF manage has been the first GLOBAL cancer awareness campaign ever seen, and i have read an awful lot of stories of people who have benefited, and have people personally i my life, who drew comfort from what the LAF does, and who having never heard of lance benefited from reading his story, (to a cancer sufferer, whatever you think of lance the explicit detail of its not about the bike, is inspirational and conforting to many)...

Would have to agree with you there that merely wearing a Livestrong band doesn't always mean you have to believe in Lance Armstrong.

But I have to ask, why is the Livestrong band a great seller? If the American Cancer society released a similar merchandize, would people buy it and wear it as much?

From what I've observed, most people's outlook wearing the yellow band is first and foremost a belief that LA did 'miracles' after overcoming cancer and that he must be genuine and that they can apparently become victorious like him with his strength of mind and perhaps physical excellence.

Intelligent people know what really made Lance victorious in 1999 and there are six positives to prove it. But that's the point. Although by wearing one, the statement that "hey I'm contributing to cancer charity" is present, the wearers of such articles don't really think they're also buying into a myth alongside.

People suffering from cancer wear Livestrong bands for the message it sends out. Its inspirational to them in what could be the final dark days of their lives. The band doesn't promise the wearer superhuman abilities. Thats a myth. It is more like a cheap "nursing aid" (yes, made in China) to sufferers of the disease, perhaps equally effective and ineffective. Its like the teddy bear you wanted to hug in your room when the lights when out as a kid.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
I wear a Lance Armstrong yellow bracelet around my staff. The ring is a bit constrictive.
 
Dec 30, 2009
138
0
0
I wear a yellow one, and a pink one. When i put them on I don't think about LA. I think about those in my life that are effected/dying of cancer.

But then again I don't wake up every morning seething with hatred, hoping that i can think of something negative to post about LA on an internet forum.
 

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
4,153
0
0
Shaft

But then again I don't wake up every morning seething with hatred, hoping that i can think of something negative to post about LA on an internet forum.

I always have positive thoughts towards Lance.