• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A Theory Regarding Yellow Livestrong Wristbands

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

dimspace said:
Depends, some yellow wristband wearers can draw a distinction between the LAF which does a lot of things to help those suffering from cancer, as a charity, and lance armstrong, professional cyclist

Support of one, does not necassarily mean support of the other. In the same way that i support democracy, i think gordon brown is a ****, i support fair trade, but think body shop are a bunch of exploiting *******..

the two do not come together automatically

i wear a livestrong band and have done for many years, because i think the awareness LAF manage has been the first GLOBAL cancer awareness campaign ever seen, and i have read an awful lot of stories of people who have benefited, and have people personally i my life, who drew comfort from what the LAF does, and who having never heard of lance benefited from reading his story, (to a cancer sufferer, whatever you think of lance the explicit detail of its not about the bike, is inspirational and conforting to many)...
I am not by any stretch of the imagination a lance fanboy, being pretty much neutral on the whole thing..

i kind of object to the insinuation that i am so mindless i cannot tell the difference.. it is my choice to wear one, and my choice not to be a fanboy..

i think we should perhaps credit some people around here with some intelligence..

(i also as a mark of possibly irony wear a bike pure one)

Dim...perfect...like egostrong was the first guy to deal with cancer...come on my friend....time to grow up...beyond that heartfelt hatred of cancer which I might remind you various organizations have been funding for 60 years...give up on the yellow band...give money to some other organizations via starving kids or war...or how about this? just give money to your national cancer foundation...**** armstong...:)

A

Anonymous

Cash05458 said:
Dim...perfect...like egostrong was the first guy to deal with cancer...come on my friend....time to grow up...beyond that heartfelt hatred of cancer which I might remind you various organizations have been funding for 60 years...give up on the yellow band...give money to some other organizations via starving kids or war...or how about this? just give money to your national cancer foundation...**** armstong...:)

the band costs £2 and is about awareness.. and as an example.. all of the yellow bands sold in france during the tour benefited french cancer charities directly..

my serious contributions i save for other charities..

I still recommend cyclists who wish to help fight cancer, support super cyclist Freddie Hoffman, who rides for Leukemia & Lymphoma. Freddie may be the best cyclist to ever ride a bike, he just was never interested in racing. Incredibly inspiring person, without the combative personality, controversial background of doping allegations, and Texas mansions and mega sponsorships and huge contracts, and multiple women, etc. of you know who.

Not just trying to dis the LAF, but people who don't know about Freddie, really need to learn who he is, and what he has accomplished.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
But then again I don't wake up every morning seething with hatred, hoping that i can think of something negative to post about LA on an internet forum.

I always have positive thoughts towards Lance.

I guess it's only ok for the Uniballer to wake up seething with hatred and posting/speaking crap about a certain rider who PWNED him last July. I guess this time next year when the uniballer has his a$$ handed back to him by the same rider, it will be and I'll use a Uniballer quote for this "SSDD".

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
just a thought,

if StrongArm was REALLY about cancer awareness, why has he not gone out of his way to sign Sebastian Joly and Matt Wilson?

afpm90 said:
It's like a religion.
All the way down to the swoosh?

heaven.jpg

;)

blackcat said:
just a thought, if StrongArm was REALLY about cancer awareness, why has he not gone out of his way to sign Sebastian Joly and Matt Wilson?
Interesting, honest question.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ooh ahh I have snapped the elastic on my ballSOLOyellow ring. The Lance Buna tech ring has given me new sensations in my legs. I shall have a satisfying tour.

blackcat said:
if StrongArm was REALLY about cancer awareness, why has he not gone out of his way to sign Sebastian Joly and Matt Wilson?

Yep. Great question.

Moreover, why smear Contador, rather than try to build goodwill to get his message about cancer across? Instead of doing that, he insults Contador and the Spanish media? Makes no sense.

Unless, one dares to think that the comeback was about one thing. Lance's ego.

afpm90 said:
It's like a religion.

I would say it's more like a cult. It has more of the flavor of a quasi-religious organization that uses devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents. If it gains an organized structure in the future it could very well become a religion. I see little hope of that though. After the first few posts most of the indoctrinated go off the deep end babbling on about things that have nothing to do with the thread at hand and everything to do with acting out their hate. Good entertainment nonetheless.

SpeedWay said:
I would say it's more like a cult. It has more of the flavor of a quasi-religious organization that uses devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents. If it gains an organized structure in the future it could very well become a religion. I see little hope of that though. After the first few posts most of the indoctrinated go off the deep end babbling on about things that have nothing to do with the thread at hand and everything to do with acting out their hate. Good entertainment nonetheless.

That is not really fair. Some of the fanboys can stick to the point, so I would hardly say "most go off the deep end".

Hugh Januss said:
That is not really fair. Some of the fanboys can stick to the point, so I would hardly say "most go off the deep end".

Funny, I read Speedbump's posts and thought exactly the same thing.
You cannot believe in a religion, follow an idol (indivdual) and his utterances, become indoctrinated to his philosophy, in a negative way.
He has depicted Fanboyism, to a tee.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
just a thought,

A good question... But would Armstrong be happy to see others who have been through cancer steal the limelight of himself? I don't think so and would imagine that he would be more than happy to let his "followers" believe that he is the only pro cyclist to have had a tough life and that everyone else has had it dead easy in comparison.

BTW. I am not for one second saying that Armstrong has had a dead easy life and I wish him the best of health, however much I dislike him.

Mellow Velo said:
Funny, I read Speedbump's posts and thought exactly the same thing.
You cannot believe in a religion, follow an idol (indivdual) and his utterances, become indoctrinated to his philosophy, in a negative way.
He has depicted Fanboyism, to a tee.

N=2, Thanks Yellow Snow!!

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Who stayed behind to run the website?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Gate_(religious_group)

One of the group's members did not kill himself: weeks before the suicides Rio Di Angelo agreed with Applewhite to leave the group so he could ensure future dissemination of Heaven's Gate videos and literature. He videotaped the mansion in Rancho Santa Fe. However, the tape was not shown to police until 2002, five years after the event.

buckwheat said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven's_Gate_(religious_group)

One of the group's members did not kill himself: weeks before the suicides Rio Di Angelo agreed with Applewhite to leave the group so he could ensure future dissemination of Heaven's Gate videos and literature. He videotaped the mansion in Rancho Santa Fe. However, the tape was not shown to police until 2002, five years after the event.

I did not know that. Wasn't he afraid he'd be wiped out if he didn't escape with the others? :D

This discussion reminds of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer did the AIDS walk, but refused to wear the ribbon. The rest of the marchers were quite offended as if this suggested he was for AIDS. Does the same apply to the Livestrong bracelets, if I don't have one am I for cancer?

A

Anonymous

Highlander said:
This discussion reminds of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer did the AIDS walk, but refused to wear the ribbon. The rest of the marchers were quite offended as if this suggested he was for AIDS. Does the same apply to the Livestrong bracelets, if I don't have one am I for cancer?

Yes you are! HATER!! LOL! :p

TRENDING THREADS