• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A trident became a single tine; The Turgis dynasty rests on Anthony's shoulders

Sorry for the fanciful thread title but I thought that Anthony Turgis deserved a thread because he now has two second places and a fourh place in the cobbled classics (second to MvdP in Dwars 2019, second in KBK to Mads Pedersen in 2021 and 4th in De Ronde after almost beating Kristoff in the sprint for 3rd in 2020).

In MSR 2019, he made the first attack on the Poggio with Bettiol but was then fried when the big boys swept past him and could not get with them to obtain a result (the same for Bettiol).

Apart from a stage in the Tour of Luxembourg he has only won on the French calendar and the GP Marseillaise is arguably his biggest win but more could be in store. He surprised me a lot when he launched his sprint in Dwars 2019 and Mathieu had to dig really deep to beat him but he is no sprinter as seen by his sound beating by Mads Pedersen in Kuurne where he was no match for the Dane. Also, Kristoff did a 500 meter sprint (and I'm not even exaggerating, that was just crazy) in Flanders because he had to close down Asgreen so me making it sound like Turgis almost did the impossible in beating Kristoff in a sprint for a placing at the end of a monument is true but there is a reason why he was close to do that.

So why all the shenanigans with the thread title? Well, they were three professional Turgis brothers but Anthony's older brother Jimmy and younger brother Tanguy (who in 2018 at 19 years of age became the youngest finisher of Paris-Roubaix since WW2) have had to put very premature ends to their careers due to heart conditions. While Jimmy never showed much for himself, Tanguy was projected to be a future star but that all came to nothing. Now it's up to Anthony to defend the family name and I must say he is doing an increasingly fine job of that.

Really? He seemed to be the strongest rider in the course bar Asgreen, but moved to the front exactly in the wrong moment and thus didn't have the energy to follow crucial moves at least twice!

Tactically a really bad race. Turgis has a good sprint in house. He could've won otherwise.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Really? He seemed to be the strongest rider in the course bar Asgreen, but moved to the front exactly in the wrong moment and thus didn't have the energy to follow crucial moves at least twice!

Tactically a really bad race. Turgis has a good sprint in house. He could've won otherwise.

Yeah, he wasn't exactly lucky with his moves today but looked incredible.

TRENDING THREADS