• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

About the 2020 CQ Spring Classics Game

Beginning to think about the Spring Classics game: by all means start thinking about your selection, but don't treat this as the post to launch the game or invite submissions yet.

The squad size (12), budget (3000 points) and relevant price list (CQ points as of 1 January) have been stable for as long as the game has existed, and I see no pressing reason to change them.

What has changed is the UCI classification, with the former 1.HC races and some of the higher quality 1.1 races are now labelled as 1.Pro (with a slight drop in CQ points: 130, 78, 66 for the top three, rather than 140, 84, 72) I guess that promotes a few more races into the calendar for the game:
Ardeche Classic
Drome Classic
GP Miguel Indurain
TroBro Leon

Ronde van Drenthe has gone the other way, dropping to 1.1 status, so I would suggest that it be dropped from the series.

We also need to agree the date range: We have always started from the northern European season launch, Omloop Het Nieuwsblad, but 2 weeks before that, we have the first 1.Pro races, Clasica de Almeria and Trofeo Laigueglia. They are in the spring (at least that far south in Europe), but perhaps thought of as part of the warm up for the season rather than part of the Spring.

And when does the Spring end? Last year I extended the game a few days beyond the previous Liege-Bastogne-Liege finish to include the Rund um den Finanzplatz Eschborn - Frankfurt (although it made precious little difference). Should I do that again, and should we extend even longer to include the promoted from 1.1 GP de Plumelec? (mid May could still be considered spring: the next 1.Pro race is in mid June, which no-one considers Spring)

So, a 48 hour poll:

1) Should we start earlier, with Almeria and Laigueglia, or stick with the Omloop start?

2) Do I include the 4 races promoted from 1.1 to 1.Pro (Ardeche, Drome, Indurain, TroBro) ?

3) Do we retain the extension to include Frankfurt?

4) Do we wait until Plumelec, to include everything that might be considered to be Spring?

I am willing to abide by majority vote (I wouldn't offer you the choice if I weren't), but that doesn't mean I don't have my own opinions: I'll post them near the end of the 48 hours.

Whatever is decided, looking forward to launching the game properly once all this is decided.

Personally I think start with Omloop, as it's considered the real spring startup race. I would end it with Liege as well, as Frankfurt and Plumelec isn't really part of that package.
Also include the 1.pro races in that time frame, if it's not too much of a hassle.

In the end I'm happy with whatever you decide, you're the man in charge:)

My own take
No to Almeria and Laigueglia (partly the tradition of Omloop as the starter, partly because I am away that wekend)
Yes to the new 1.Pro races (Hooray: TroBro is in at last, shame Samyn wasn't also promoted, but I prefer there to be a fairly transparent objective inclusion criterion)
Yes to Frankfurt (It is only a few days after LBL, and add to the variety of rider types that might be pickable, and has decent points available)
No to Plumelec, as it requires more than two weeks of suspending the result, and seems unlikely to do much to the scores.

My votes are only worth the same as anyone else's, unless I need to award myself a second deciding vote to resolve a tie.

I decided to give an extra day for votes when CN Forum lost its threads yesterday morning, but forgot to tell the forum about the extension.

Three of the four votes were resolved overwhelmingly: no to Almeria/Laigueglia, and to Plumelec, yes to Ardeche/Drome/Indurain/TroBro.
The Frankfurt vote, in contrast, ended up 5-5 (with a great difference in enthusiasm for it between here and Velorooms), so I get a second and casting vote, and it is in.

So the 24 races will be:
29-Feb Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite 1.UWT3
29-Feb Faun-Ardèche Classic 1.Pro
01-Mar Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne 1.Pro
01-Mar Royal Bernard Drome Classic 1.Pro
07-Mar Strade Bianche 1.UWT3
08-Mar GP Industria & Artigianato 1.Pro
18-Mar Danilith Nokere Koerse 1.Pro
19-Mar Grand Prix de Denain - Porte du Hainaut 1.Pro
20-Mar Bredene Koksijde Classic 1.Pro
21-Mar Milano-Sanremo 1.UWT1
25-Mar AG Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne 1.UWT3
27-Mar E3 BinckBank Classic 1.UWT2
29-Mar Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields 1.UWT2
01-Apr Dwars door Vlaanderen - A travers la Flandre 1.UWT3
04-Apr Gran Premio Miguel Indurain 1.Pro
05-Apr Ronde van Vlaanderen - Tour des Flandres 1.UWT1
08-Apr Scheldeprijs 1.Pro
12-Apr Paris-Roubaix 1.UWT1
15-Apr De Brabantse Pijl - La Flèche Brabançonne 1.Pro
19-Apr Amstel Gold Race 1.UWT2
19-Apr Tro-Bro Léon 1.Pro
22-Apr La Flèche Wallonne 1.UWT2
26-Apr Liège-Bastogne-Liège 1.UWT1
01-May Eschborn-Frankfurt 1.UWT3

and let's say 11:00 CET on 29 Feb as the closing time for entries.

That's pretty much the info that will be in the OP of the game's thread, so I'll start thinking about my team, and post the thread when my team is ready to pass on to someone else.

TRENDING THREADS