• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AC appears to have very real problems next year

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Okay, so lets re-assess the current situation at Astana, and come up with a team for 2010. Of course we've got our hostage,(1) Alberto Contador, then we've got Andreas Kloden(2) who might be secretly happy to be back with Vino. Then of course Vino himself(3), creating his own form of chaos in the peloton.Then there's Popovych who is still in contract(4)and Astana would be foolish to give away, And Zubeldia(5) who is also in contract. Benjamin Noval(6) doesn't seem to have any problem with AC, and in this depleted squad he would surely make the TdF. Max Iglinsky(7) who, I feel, is better than this years Rast or Muravyev. Jesus Hernandez(8) AC's personal teammate. And finally Janez Brajkovic(9) youngster that I hope stays put with Astana, only for Contador's sake.
There you have it. A squad that is not as depleted as some would have you believe, and without all the tremendous pressure that was exerted by Lance, a living legend, who divided the team, fostered betrayals and nurtured internal tension. AND, that team isn't even that weak in the TTT department.
Add to that, the fact that as previously stated, during a Tour racers interact with other teams, to their betterment. Some one else might get AC(but I doubt it) but it ain't going to be Lance. If Lance's team can't put AC in a significant hole with a TTT(provided there is even one included) AC will blow Lance's doors off in the Mountains this time, with no restraint like he had to suffer this year. If there is no TTT, man, it will be a simple task for AC to defend his title, but we'll see. The start is still a full 10 months away, and the whole world can change by then.:cool:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If the sponspor had paid salaries a few more might have been willing to stay Lance, Vino or not. I think the question is what assurances does anyone in Astana in 2010 (riders or staff) have that they will get paid. To us its a sport, them its a job - and if you are not getting paid....

Contador said in a recent interview that he didn't even know McQuaid had recently been in Kaz to check in with the sponsor. That made me wonder, and it may be a question for another thread, but does McQuaid normally go out and visit sponsors? This is his 2nd time in Kaz this year. New thread - Where in the World is Pat McQuaid? Umm - no lets not go there.

racerralph said:
Okay, so lets re-assess the current situation at Astana, and come up with a team for 2010. Of course we've got our hostage,(1) Alberto Contador, then we've got Andreas Kloden(2) who might be secretly happy to be back with Vino. Then of course Vino himself(3), creating his own form of chaos in the peloton.Then there's Popovych who is still in contract(4)and Astana would be foolish to give away, And Zubeldia(5) who is also in contract. Benjamin Noval(6) doesn't seem to have any problem with AC, and in this depleted squad he would surely make the TdF. Max Iglinsky(7) who, I feel, is better than this years Rast or Muravyev. Jesus Hernandez(8) AC's personal teammate. And finally Janez Brajkovic(9) youngster that I hope stays put with Astana, only for Contador's sake.
There you have it. A squad that is not as depleted as some would have you believe, and without all the tremendous pressure that was exerted by Lance, a living legend, who divided the team, fostered betrayals and nurtured internal tension. AND, that team isn't even that weak in the TTT department.
Add to that, the fact that as previously stated, during a Tour racers interact with other teams, to their betterment. Some one else might get AC(but I doubt it) but it ain't going to be Lance. If Lance's team can't put AC in a significant hole with a TTT(provided there is even one included) AC will blow Lance's doors off in the Mountains this time, with no restraint like he had to suffer this year. If there is no TTT, man, it will be a simple task for AC to defend his title, but we'll see. The start is still a full 10 months away, and the whole world can change by then.:cool:

That is some damned impressive homework, if in actuality, all of these riders are still under contract to Astana for next season. I have no idea where you could get the details on all their contracts, but if you have done so, you are truly a remarkable fan... and you probably need to get a life.

It's a long time to the start of the 2010 TDF, and bold predictions about the outcome are just that. I usually wait until I see the start list to begin theorizing about the results.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Were AC to lose time in any hypothetical scenario folks wish to debate, it would simply mean that he would attack earlier in a mountain stage.

It's like saying, what if there are 5 MTF' s in next year's tour route?

How would the "Old Boy Network" cope with that scenario?

Astana will be at the next year's Tour, if AC remains. No question.

There's too much obsessing, over too few riders and only one event in the calander.

Please.
We've had a truly dramatic day at the Vuelta. Surely this deserves more of our immediate attention, than something that may, or may not take place, in 10 months time?

+1.

Its as if the race calender doesn't exist to some people, only the TdF.

TRENDING THREADS