• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Accidents and age

I guess what happened to Froome could have happened to anyone, but was it made more likely by his age? Slower reflexes, lapses in concentration?

One of the more remarkable achievements of LA, doping aside, is that for 7 straight years he never had a significant crash. Then he comes out of retirement, and starts falling all over the place. A broken collarbone I think in early 2009. A bad crash in the 2010 Tour.

The counter argument, I guess, is that with age comes experience and caution.

Froome has a history of crashing just not with significant injuries. As for age it likely has more to do with the individual rider than it does anything else as there are many domestiques that race into their later 30's and don't necessarily have a history of more crashes or more serious injuries with crashes. Then you have other riders (Estaban Chaves comes to mind and Egan Bernal is headed in this direction) who are young and are crash and injury prone.

Re:

Parker said:
Froome is 34 not 65. I thought Valverde was finished after his 2017 crash (age 37 at the time). But here he is as World Champion

Valverde came back strong, but as a glorified one day racer. His GC days are effectively over. Can't really say how it will affect Froome, whose a pure GT rider.

Re: Re:

perico said:
Parker said:
Froome is 34 not 65. I thought Valverde was finished after his 2017 crash (age 37 at the time). But here he is as World Champion

Valverde came back strong, but as a glorified one day racer. His GC days are effectively over. Can't really say how it will affect Froome, whose a pure GT rider.

Well Valverde did win a bunch of 1 week races last year as well and finished 5th in la Vuelta which was the only GT he really went after. This year, well he's flat out said that having the rainbow jersey has made him feel more relaxed and feel like he's already won every race he's started and that the hunger just isn't as strong. So, take that for what you want.

TRENDING THREADS