• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Accusations of racism

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Who is this idiot Anthony Tan? If you don't know, he's the guy who wrote the report for stage 21 for cyclingnews. In it, he accuses Franco Pellizotti of being racist for not kissing one of the girls (who was slightly darker skinned) on the podium during the polka dot ceremony. Just because he didn't kiss her makes him racist? Perhaps he forgot? If you watch the video, you'll see that he's looking the other way when she wanted to kiss him. He's got his hands full with stuff and is looking at cameras. If he really were racist, why would he kiss the dark black girl who gave him a trophy later in the ceremony when all the jersey winners were standing on the podium? He reached out to kiss her even though at that stage this was not necessary. If I remember correctly, none of the other riders kissed the girls who gave them their trophies.

Should I accuse you of racism towards Italians Anthony Tan, or just hatred of Pellizotti? I won't, but please, next time think for a second and look at the video carefully.

iceaxe

BANNED
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
thankfully, all humans are inherently racist. If we were not, there would be no races. None of us would have survived evolution. Sorry, but it is necesary for survival to show preference for kin and anyone more closely related to you.

iceaxe said:
thankfully, all humans are inherently racist. If we were not, there would be no races.

There would be no bike races?:confused:

(OK this is not headed a good way... I did a quick search on Pellizotti, to see if such accusations were held up to him before -it could have been- but didn't find anything.)

iceaxe said:
thankfully, all humans are inherently racist. If we were not, there would be no races. None of us would have survived evolution. Sorry, but it is necesary for survival to show preference for kin and anyone more closely related to you.

Wow, this post was totally racist. The reason for separate races is the evolution that occurred in different parts of the world during times when travel over mountains and across oceans was really difficult if not impossible.

As far as the original post goes about it all being a misunderstanding and the rider being distracted, I totally agree.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Ooof - good catch, OP - I sure hope Cyclingnews edits this self-serving sensationalist statement out of the race summary.

Whether Franco actually has a history of this type of action or not, putting a statement like this in a race summary and adding completely unsubstantiated statements on past behavior is pretty disgusting, imo.

ulrichw said:
Whether Franco actually has a history of this type of action or not, putting a statement like this in a race summary and adding completely unsubstantiated statements on past behavior is pretty disgusting, imo.

I was not trying to defend a bold assertion. Just pointing that the remark could have had something to it (but of course it should have been specified in context if it was so.)

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Pellizotti was probably just worried about getting his hair tangled up in her giant red bow. :D

Seriously, did somebody look at the poor girls in their unflattering polka dots and think "Darn ! They don't look ridiculous enough yet: let's stick a mutant butterfly on their heads !"

On the subject of podium girls, it was nice to see my favourite little LCL brunette once more, holding the yellow jerseys nicely so that AC could sign them. :cool:

(Maybe he'll give one to Lance as a souvenir, 'cos P&P were only saying today how nice it would be if he'd got one this year.;) )

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
The actual paragraph in question. Thought it would be worth posting in the thread.

"But what of his refusal to kiss the black girl at the podium presentation on Sunday? Was she not attractive enough, or are there racist undertones towards this gesture? For the record, it is not the first time Pellizotti has balked at doing so."

RigelKent said:
The actual paragraph in question. Thought it would be worth posting in the thread.

But what of his refusal to kiss the black girl at the podium presentation on Sunday? Was she not attractive enough, or are there racist undertones towards this gesture? For the record, it is not the first time Pellizotti has balked at doing so.

Well if he is right that it wasn't the first time this has happened then it was worth mentioning.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I didn't say that. I was quoting Mr. Tan's article.

I know nothing of his history. I cast no aspersions. I also did not see it, so don't know if distraction is a reasonable explanation. No judgement from here. Just trying to quote the actual article in the thread so people can see what was said.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Really dumb comment by Cyclingnews because, as the OP pointed out, Franco DID kiss the black girl when they had all the jersey wearers together at the end of the podium celebration.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
Well if he is right that it wasn't the first time this has happened then it was worth mentioning.

Exactly - "If he is right".

If Anthony Tan wants to make an accusation like that, he has a responsibility to provide a lot more evidence than a random unsupported statement. Adding "for the record" does nothing to improve the credibility of the statement.

This is a race summary, not a discussion on whether riders are racist, gay, or drive when drunk (all of which might make juicy topics for other articles).

In my opinion this was not the place for making a statement like this.

I have no idea whether Franco Pellizotti is a racist or not, but seeing his actions on the podium, again in my opinion, does nothing to convince me that he is.

RigelKent said:

I know nothing of his history. I cast no aspersions. I also did not see it, so don't know if distraction is a reasonable explanation. No judgement from here. Just trying to quote the actual article in the thread so people can see what was said.
Quotation marks: "...."
They are amazingly useful. As are italics, if your citation is long.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
RigelKent said:

But what of his refusal to kiss the black girl at the podium presentation on Sunday? Was she not attractive enough, or are there racist undertones towards this gesture? For the record, it is not the first time Pellizotti has balked at doing so.

And the guy who wrote that has a job ...sigh
I noticed he omitted the fact that no one kissed Ben Stiller during his appearance
For the record I have seen others in the podium not kiss both girls and they were both white. What would be the excuse for that Mr. Tan?
idiot
Tan wants to believe people are racists because he is,

RigelKent said:

Realized that afterwards and deleted my message.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It is an example of the interfering prudish politically correct nonsense infecting so much of our public life. Look at how the blowhard in the White House got into difficulty when imputing racism to an arresting officer who dared arresat a friend of his. The officer rightly demanded an apology and Pelizotti should do likewise.

we are not obliged to kiss people we don't want to kiss. Pelizotti DID not ignore her but even had he done so what? he is NOT obliged to kiss anyone he doesn't want to and neither am I or anyone else.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
I say, F*ck the po-lice!

That blowhard is without a doubt far better educated than you. :D

Perhaps he is though to be honest I'm a reasonably well educated bi lingual holder of several third and fourth level qualifications so to be frank I doubt there would be a huge gulf in our respective levels of educational attainment and his reputed education doesn't stop him making stupid remarks does it.

As for your F*ck the pokice.....well you'd **** your pants in a society without them or a similar controlling force as would we all so I'll assume you are either not being serious or alternatively very young and thus forgiven for idiocy.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah f*** the police there bullies or cowards or a bit of both there not there when there needed and are around when there not wanted. if you lived in an area with real crime you would know this. men have to protect there families and themselves no one will help you but yourself and your loved ones. leo's are clean up crews. back to the ridiculous topic we were on already:D

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
man there are some idiots on this forum rather redundant and tiring imo:mad:

I agree that this in not the place for such discussion so we should leave it. if you should want an elucidation on what an unpoliced society would actually be like i suggest you read Thomas hobbes rather than anyone on here.