• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AC's Interview (Marca)

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Google translation of one line:

""I'm very excited," says the broker [biker?], "I think it was the best choice, because I get to a computer with a definite philosophy, a good way to work and give me the tranquility that I have not had in recent years. I'm happy with and want to start this project."

Doesn't some poster at CN have a signature line with something by Sastre that "Me no need a computer"?

:D

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I saw it first at Marca too, but it was their photo with a Contador press release:

:: 05 / 08 / 10 :: Alberto Contador: “I am very excited about this project”
Almost two weeks after the end of the Tour de France, Alberto Contador can make an initial analysis of the race and, especially, start thinking about the future because of his recent agreement with Bjarne Riis, that guarantees stability for the next two seasons. “I’m very excited,” says the rider, “I think it was the best choice, because I come to a team with a definite philosophy, a good way to work and give me the tranquility that I have not had in recent years. I am happy and eager to begin this project”.

What did said Riis to you, what convinced you to join his team?

Several things, but no doubt the seriousness it requires and its philosophy of work have been primary reasons. That will allow me to be more relaxed, as well as his great experience, always ahead of teams with the best riders and very powerful, allowing you to face all objectives.

What are your goals for the next two seasons?

It is still early to know the calendar, but I have in mind to do two big tours next year. I do not know exactly which, but I have to start changing a little bit the training system and perhaps start the year more relaxed.

Riis said that you want to win the big three in one year, what about it?

Of course it's a dream, but I don’t know if impossible. I think I you can ride the big three at a good level, but from there to win them there is much difference. You have to go little by little, I realize that it is practically impossible, though perhaps in the future ... It's a dream. Everyone has dreams and this is mine.

Riis has been your harder rival the last two years with Andy Schleck in the Tour, what are the benefits of this union?

We have already discussed about this and I think the two wins. I have managed to win in the last two years after a hard fight and now I can convey my feelings, while he can tell me the weaknesses of Andy. It will be a good union.

How do you see the team next year?

I see it with great optimism. The base is a very solid team, riders have an incredible quality and I really want to start the first concentration. We will get on perfectly. For my part I will try to incorporate Benjamin Noval, Dani Navarro and Jesus Hernandez, but I also hope that the team is strengthened with new signings.

How do you approach the last part of the season with Astana?

We have to speak about, but I have very clear that I am still an Astana rider and I owe this team. My season is already more than accomplished, but we still have to think about it, besides attending various commitments with sponsors, because our relationship is still perfect and I'm very grateful to Astana, although the best decision was to move.

(Automatic translation. Forgive inaccuracies).

http://www.albertocontador.com/prensa.detalle.php?id=477

Parrot23 said:

""I'm very excited," says the broker [biker?], "I think it was the best choice, because I get to a computer with a definite philosophy, a good way to work and give me the tranquility that I have not had in recent years. I'm happy with and want to start this project."

Doesn't some poster at CN have a signature line with something by Sastre that "Me no need a computer"?

Whenever someone posts a Google translation, I die a little in the inside.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:

hehehe in Spanish, "corredor" means broker, rider and also runner..."equipo" means team, not sure why google picks it as computer...:confused: ...

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Parrot23 said:

Google can be a trip.
Contador = counter
team = computer
and kilometer = mile, no matter how many times I try to tell them it doesn't :confused:

Overall- I think what is interesting for fans in general about the interview is the interest of AC to win 2 GT the same year-and having Riis as a partner & guider looks very promising.. I hope he still rides some other races in between and tries to win an Ardennes Classic before he commits fully to the GT's...

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else find it interesting that older brother Fran (AC's agent) says "No way" wrt 3 GT's in one year and says they'll concentrate on The Tour, but AC considers it a "dream" to try the Grand Slam, and a dream which he sounds like he wants to try some year? Sounds like big brother is trying to haul back on the reins a bit, but I wish they'd have their little family spats at home and not in the press!:rolleyes::)

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Overall- I think what is interesting for fans in general about the interview is the interest of AC to win 2 GT the same year-and having Riis as a partner & guider looks very promising.. I hope he still rides some other races in between and tries to win an Ardennes Classic before he commits fully to the GT's...

just a slight change in his current schedule. instead of starting with algarve (as he has the past two years), can do paris-nice, pais-vasco, the ardennes, the giro, the tour, lombardia.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
shadowblue said:
can do paris-nice, pais-vasco, the ardennes, the giro, the tour, lombardia.

Sounds good to me but Contador won't ride after Le Tour, he never does just some criteriums and exhibitions... but I would really like that he tries Il Giro di Lombardia... He can take it... just imagine:

Paris - Nize
Vuelta al Pais Vasco
Liege - Bastogne - Liege
Fleche Wallonne
Il Giro
Le Tour
and Il Giro di Lombardia

all those races in one year... pfffff... would be insane!!!!

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
cyclopeon said:
Anyone else find it interesting that older brother Fran (AC's agent) says "No way" wrt 3 GT's in one year and says they'll concentrate on The Tour, but AC considers it a "dream" to try the Grand Slam, and a dream which he sounds like he wants to try some year? Sounds like big brother is trying to haul back on the reins a bit, but I wish they'd have their little family spats at home and not in the press!:rolleyes::)

Yes, entertaining. My guess is AC is doing a little public face saving for Bjarne.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:

The only sensible double GT win, if you want to win the TdF, is to go for the TdF and then the Vuelta, right? Clearly, the easiest is the Giro and the Vuelta.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
ManInFull said:
The only sensible double GT win, if you want to win the TdF, is to go for the TdF and then the Vuelta, right? Clearly, the easiest is the Giro and the Vuelta.

I want him to try Giro - Tour next year but that is unlikely to happen cuz he has to defend his Tour title... Il Giro is a race tailormade for him! Lots of mountains - nice and not so long ITTs...

how about Giro, Vuelta & The World's Championship? insane:)
I think he can make a bolt statement if he chooses not to ride the tour to make another races his main objective:) I think Prudhomme would scratch his head and motivate the organizers to put together new routes & challenges to the race

It's a tough situation for AC. I think he really wants to do the Giro again, but not at the cost of losing the Tour. He knows the Tour is the most important race to the public and for the sponsors and that it is the race that will cement his legacy. I also believe he's got LA's 7 in the back of his mind and at the very least the 5 of Hinault, Indurain, et al.

I believe if he had crushed the competition at the Tour again this year he would have definitely done the Giro next year. As it stands now, I doubt it will happen. I think his biggest fear is winning the Giro, not being at his best at the Tour and being beaten by Schleck or someone else. Watching Evans, Basso, and Sastre implode at the Tour this year certainly didn't help matters. Of course, he believes he wasn't at his best this year and he still won, so who knows?

That said, I think he will eventually try both the Tour-Vuelta and Giro-Tour doubles at some point because he just doesn't seem like the kind of rider who is happy to win the same races every year even if it one of them is the Tour. I think he really wants to win a couple of Ardennes at some point and if Worlds is ever hilly enough he'll give that a try as well.

My prediction is he'll wait until after the GT presentations, look at the 3 parcours, and ultimately decide to skip the Giro, especially if it is anything like this years route. I think he believes he'll perform better next year, especially with his new team and if he does win handily, he'll do the Giro in 2012. Of course, he's said he wants to do two GTs next year and under that scenario he would race the Vuelta which would mean 4 Gts in a row...

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Very probably he will ride Tour and Vuelta next year, but he will wait to take a final decission until they prepare a good course for his characteristics in the Vuelta next year. There is a bunch of very hard mountain finishes that were never climbed in the Vuelta, as well as so many possibilities to make different kind of routes...I think he can very easily influence the chosen course with the promise of thinking seriously to ride the Vuelta next year.

TRENDING THREADS