• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Advice on Wheels.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
oldtolmieroad said:
Would like advice on Race/Allround Wheels to purchase.
What exactly are you looking for?

Personally, I do triathlons so I have some **** wheels that I use for daily training and I can beat up without worrying about.

For time trials and triathlons I have Zipps, which are always very popular. Anything from a 404, 606, or 808 set can be wonderfully. But, I wouldn't use them for a road race, I just think they are a little too delicate for big potholes and or any wrecks that might happen. Also, tubulars are a pain in the **** so I wouldn't use them too often. They make a clincher version, but I don't see a point in spending major bank on a wheelset then add a bunch of weight by using a clincher.

I also have a set up Rolf Elan Aeros. I love these wheels, can't say enough about them. They seem to be bomb proof, I haven't had a problem with them. They are super light weight and fast. I generally use these wheels if I am doing a road race I care about and use my crappy training wheels if I just plan on sitting in the pack. The rolfs are great for climbing.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
oldtolmieroad said:

At the moment I am riding Bontrager race X lites , great wheels but alas they are going on my wifes bike. I ride in races from 25 km to 65 km on rolling hill type courses. Thinking carbon clinchers 30mm to 50mm ? Or should I stick with something similar to the X lites . Lots of hills where I live and at 76kgs Im no light wieght but sprint finnishes are always on a flat section of road. Thankyou for yuor opinions. Budget approx $1000us new or used.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
The wheels that came on my bike were Velomax circuit comp which are now easton circuit comps, and they are great training/racing wheels if need be. Thousands of miles and still perfect. For racing I have Neuvation R28 aero's. 300 dollars with QR's. They are absolutely money. If your budget is larger than go for the zipps or something similar, but I love the neuvation's.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
personally i prefer two sets of wheels, but understand that this isn't always possible (we all count the $$).

i'm running bouwmeester 50mm yellow dot tubs in all races, and smash a set of mavic kysiriums for the training kms. both are good value but, this will still set you back close to 3k aussie. If you want to train and race on the same wheelset- go alloy clinchers. Mavic askiums maybe?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Thankyou for advice , as I live in country Victoria Australia and our roads are harsh on tyres I think I will have to remain on clinchers. Has anyone heard about the new Durace 50mm carbon clinchers,Reynolds Assualt,Reynolds Attack.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
i'm a small light rider and i get blown across the road at times. Love the look of the deep rim carbons and we all know carbon is sexy but don't think they are for a rider like me

oldtolmieroad said:

Have a good wheelbuilder around that design and build a set specifically for you and your needs?

The resulting wheelset will be-
-as light as the wheelouttaabox or lighter
-have a far better hubset
-use standard parts, like spokes and rims
-and will probably be cheaper, quality of hub for quality of hub in comparison(some inexpensive wheelsouttaboxes have really poor hubs)

But if ya don't, you don't It's a shame good wheelbuilders are becoming so scarce.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Record Hubs, 3 cross build

appropriate rim (Open Pro?). They will serve you well. Have your shop build them, and if there is ever trouble you can shame the builder into fixing them.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
DT, Velocity or Kinlin if yer light are better choices IMHO.

I agree about the velocity being superior, I had a couple sets built and they are bombproof. I have aeroheads, maybe not as light as some but i sill raced on them on some bad roads. over ten years old and never had to have them trued. Great rims.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oldtolmieroad said:
Thankyou for advice , as I live in country Victoria Australia and our roads are harsh on tyres I think I will have to remain on clinchers. Has anyone heard about the new Durace 50mm carbon clinchers,Reynolds Assualt,Reynolds Attack.

I don't know your weight but I have heard that the reynolds wheels can be a little flexy if you weigh a bit. Plus the hubs that come on the assault/attack aren't anything special.
The DuraAce wheels are very good. You will struggle to find better hubs, and the rims (what ever rim you choose) are good.
Hand builts are good, i've built my own and love them, and the ability to spec them the way you want is nice. Finding good wheel builders who are reasonably priced in Australia can be difficult.
I would probably just pick one of the DA choices and be happy in the knowledge that you've got a bullet proof set of wheels with a three year warranty.
Just be warned, DA wheels are greatly underestimated by many.

TRENDING THREADS