• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Advise Me Quick

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
So I just had my bike shipped to China, but in transit both my front and rear wheels got majorly phucked, bent rims, cracked spokes etc. Anyway, aside from having mad angers with the shipping company and the shop that packed it, I need to get some new wheels ASAP.

As far a I know there are no 'wheelbuilders' of any repute here so I am going to stick with prebuild factory wheels.

Options are:

Mavic Askiums
Fulcrum 5s
Taiwanese Brand (Can't remember name)

All cost about the same here c.$150, the Taiwanese are the lightest, but I am not so I don't know whether to risk it, otherwise I need the most bomb-proof training wheels as I will be riding alot. TBH weight isn't the main concern, i can lose weight off of myself far more easily, so looking for strength and reliability.

For use with SRAM Force on a 58cm Cannondale

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Big GMaC said:
So I just had my bike shipped to China, but in transit both my front and rear wheels got majorly phucked, bent rims, cracked spokes etc. Anyway, aside from having mad angers with the shipping company and the shop that packed it, I need to get some new wheels ASAP.

As far a I know there are no 'wheelbuilders' of any repute here so I am going to stick with prebuild factory wheels.

Options are:

Mavic Askiums
Fulcrum 5s

All cost about the same here c.$150, the Taiwanese are the lightest, but I am not so I don't know whether to risk it, otherwise I need the most bomb-proof training wheels as I will be riding alot. TBH weight isn't the main concern, i can lose weight off of myself far more easily, so looking for strength and reliability.

Ooh, the Taiwanese ones we know nothing about must be the best, get those;) (In all seriousness, aren't they all made in Taiwan anyway? If you can have a thorough look over a pair before handing over your hard-earned yuan, they may turn out to be a good deal.)

Aksiums have a decent reputation as a solid wheelset. Mine were fine, well tensioned and true, but the dish was slightly off on the rear making it hard to stop it contacting the frame (which does have very little clearance anyway). Didn't ride enough k's on them to need any work doing beyond minor trueing - I sold them to a friend when I treated myself to a little (Dura Ace carbon laminate) upgrade. 1mm of frame clearance meant nothing on her Surly LHT which can fit a mudguard and 32c tires, whereas on my Scuro HCR which won't even clear 25c tires it was a nuisance.
YMMV.

Haven't heard much about Fulcrum 5's one way or the other.

Any option to test ride any of the wheels? Weight and durability aside, different wheels will ride quite differently. I noticed a significant difference in cornering confidence with my new wheels over the Aksiums (for the better, thankfully).

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I have a pair of aksiums and I know of another few people who have them.

It is a fine training wheel. Pretty solid and they stay true. I can recommend those.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
El Imbatido said:
Open Pros - Now they are bombproof

I would, but I ain't got the persons to build that kind of quality...

Open Pros laced to UT hubs? or a different hub? those will be first on my list when I get home

Big GMaC said:

Options are:

Mavic Askiums
Fulcrum 5s

Get the Fulcrums..best hub.

TRENDING THREADS