• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFL Grand Final: DRAW!!!!!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Today in the AFL Grand Final it was a draw between Stkilda and Collingwood.

Any comments on what has happened, what will happen and what should happen?

May 22, 2010
Visit site
it is ridiculous they don't play overtime. to send them back again next week is cruel and unusual punishment. also it's too close to the cycling world championships.

Why weren't you at the game :D

It was bound to happen sooner or later, given how close 4 of the last 5 finals have been, and just the way the game is played these days. As a neutral it's kind of good, we get to do it all again next week. Supporters of either club are probably a bit annoyed/dejected/furious.

But that's just what we do, we come back next week, whether or not it's right or wrong that's been the rule forever and there is some historic value in honouring it. The AFL will definitely consider changing it, but at the same time it's a massive financial boost. AFL is the only sport I know where it happens, it's unique. For me it's a bit like a tied test, it's so rare that when it happens you don't know what to feel but history looks kindly on the situation.

I imagine the Ladies' Road Race will be missing a few spectators, at least it's not Geelong.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hughmoore said:
Colliwobbles again. :)

Hugh
St Kilda also had the opportunity to win the game also.
Ferminal said:

It was bound to happen sooner or later, given how close 4 of the last 5 finals have been, and just the way the game is played these days. As a neutral it's kind of good, we get to do it all again next week. Supporters of either club are probably a bit annoyed/dejected/furious.

But that's just what we do, we come back next week, whether or not it's right or wrong that's been the rule forever and there is some historic value in honouring it. The AFL will definitely consider changing it, but at the same time it's a massive financial boost. AFL is the only sport I know where it happens, it's unique. For me it's a bit like a tied test, it's so rare that when it happens you don't know what to feel but history looks kindly on the situation.

I imagine the Ladies' Road Race will be missing a few spectators, at least it's not Geelong.

The worlds will suffer badly!!! - I am not a member this year and I have been away for a little while. I have had to adjust a lot of my plans for this week and next week because of the GF and other commitments that have come up.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:

Well in football/soccer, in the English FA Cup, if there is a draw, they play a replay, except that the home team then plays away and this happens until the 5th/6th round of the competition (for those not aware, it's a knock out competition with all 92 clubs spread amongst the four top divisions). Oh wouldn't it be funny if next week ends in a draw as well.

craig1985 said:
Well in football/soccer, in the English FA Cup, if there is a draw, they play a replay, except that the home team then plays away and this happens until the 5th/6th round of the competition (for those not aware, it's a knock out competition with all 92 clubs spread amongst the four top divisions). Oh wouldn't it be funny if next week ends in a draw as well.

A bit of a difference between FA Cup Third Round and Final, replays only happen so they can level up the home ground advantage. People are upset because this one game of the season is more than just the game, it's hard for people to get up for the same thing next week.

If it's a draw next week they play 5 minutes each way overtime.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
St Kilda also had the opportunity to win the game also.

The worlds will suffer badly!!! - I am not a member this year and I have been away for a little while. I have had to adjust a lot of my plans for this week and next week because of the GF and other commitments that have come up.

Every police officer in Vic will be on duty in Geelong with hundreds of roads and intersections closed so how are they going to run a Grand Final at same time.

All the trains are set to run visitors to Geelong not the MCG.
Also the MCG are suposed to be digging up the cricket pitch mid week.

What a stuff up

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The AFL will love it, they get to sell 100k tickets all over again! If I went to the match and went through the whole rigmarole of getting accomdation etc (or even booked through a travel agency), I'd be ****ed! People should get a refund or new tickets.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am a Hawks fan, so was not invested in the game. But what a game. The first draw in 33 years, and only the third in the history of the game. The Saints showing true grit and heart and battling as underdogs to dribble in the drawing point with minutes left on the clock. Heartbreak for the two teams and their supporters, but no one that watched the game could say that they were disappointed by the way everyone played and the game itself. I'm all for extra time and to have the game decided on the day, but I'll also be heading down to the local pub again to watch the game at 1am live in Canada again next Friday night. And I will not be complaining!

For the non-Aussies, Aussie Rules Football is close to a religion for many Australians, especially Victorians. Cycling and any other sport do not register in comparison for the vast majority of Victorians, so I am sure most don't give a damn that the AFL will replay the Grand Final next week. It is unfortunate for us cycling fans and perhaps for the rugby league fans as well (their grand final is next Sunday), but that's life and any excuse to watch more footy and drink more beer is OK by me!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I am a Hawks fan, so was not invested in the game. But what a game. The first draw in 33 years, and only the third in the history of the game. The Saints showing true grit and heart and battling as underdogs to dribble in the drawing point with minutes left on the clock. Heartbreak for the two teams and their supporters, but no one that watched the game could say that they were disappointed by the way everyone played and the game itself. I'm all for extra time and to have the game decided on the day, but I'll also be heading down to the local pub again to watch the game at 1am live in Canada again next Friday night. And I will not be complaining!

For the non-Aussies, Aussie Rules Football is close to a religion for many Australians, especially Victorians. Cycling and any other sport do not register in comparison for the vast majority of Victorians, so I am sure most don't give a damn that the AFL will replay the Grand Final next week. It is unfortunate for us cycling fans and perhaps for the rugby league fans as well (their grand final is next Sunday), but that's life and any excuse to watch more footy and drink more beer is OK by me!

That is a good summmary of my thoughts but i think it would of got a bit more of a go in the media without the AFL Grand Final Replay and it will be a shame that the womens and U23 mens events will be over shadowed and struggle to get a crowd to the event

Recent tweet from organisers
not an ideal result in the footy, but we will continue on strongly to host this great event! Need the support of... http://fb.me/Kei3W1zz

Firstly Why Dont AFL games into extra time?Or First points scored in extra time wins?Such a professional sport but yet no result.Strange...I guess they get to sell more tickets"I just rang sportsbet to check if my Collingwood/Roosters double is still in play...and yes it is.So go The Roosters and Collingwood next weekend...Yes i will be attending the World Road Race Championships,this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to have these events on home soil...Nothing will stop me being there.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
stefank said:
I quite like quiet.
I was not having a go at you but I found it a bit too quiet in Hobart but I can understand why others would like that. It is a nice state.

blaxland said:
Firstly Why Dont AFL games into extra time?Or First points scored in extra time wins?Such a professional sport but yet no result.Strange...I guess they get to sell more tickets"I just rang sportsbet to check if my Collingwood/Roosters double is still in play...and yes it is.So go The Roosters and Collingwood next weekend...Yes i will be attending the World Road Race Championships,this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to have these events on home soil...Nothing will stop me being there.

I totallly agree and if my team wins on the weekend I certainly will party hard but will have to rest up for the Worlds. As much as I love Collingwood, I would prefer to see first hand Cadel win the worlds.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
People from out of state who spent a lot of money getting here and on accommodation might be disappointed by the 'non-result'. But I reckon that after the initial surprise they might instead be pleased they got to witness something historic.

I can still remember where I was the last time a grand final resulted in a draw. I have no memory of the following week's replay at all.

@Stefank, the afternoon of the GF will be delightfully peaceful. It is as though 70% of people vanish. It's a great time to visit a museum or gallery, or to enjoy nearly deserted shops and streets. Probably a lot of drunk people out and about after the match though.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I was not having a go at you but I found it a bit too quiet in Hobart but I can understand why others would like that. It is a nice state.

I totallly agree and if my team wins on the weekend I certainly will party hard but will have to rest up for the Worlds. As much as I love Collingwood, I would prefer to see first hand Cadel win the worlds.

If those two things happened, I'm sure this is the end result:

RandyMarsh.JPG

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
So I guess they will still announce that Gary Ablett is joining the Gold Coast Suns next week, or maybe not.

AFL won't allow it. It has to be after the finals so it does not interupt the media coverage of the grand final.

he is definetly going their as his manager went up to gold coast this week and when he came out of geelong he did not seem to happy.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The last draw in a Grand Final was in 1977, and Collingwood was also involved in that match (against North Melbourne). The Roos won the following weekend. This draw will change the way the AFL will deal with drawn Grand Finals and we will probably see 5-10 minutes of extra time played if a Grand Final is drawn again in the future.

Just to give everyone some idea of the economics and the importance of AFL to Victorians, the rematch will bring in over $30 million in tickets sales and tourism to the AFL, Channel 7 and Melbourne.

There was a video article in The Age, Melbourne's main newspaper, about the effects that a Grand Final rematch will have on other sports next weekend. Two sports were mentioned as being adversely affected: horse racing and soccer. The Commonwealth Games was mentioned in passing. But nothing about cycling or the World Championships. Australians are sports mad, but footy is the religion and everything else is a side issue. The fact that sports reporters in Victoria don't even rate the road cycling world championships, even with an Aussie as reigning world champion, is not that surprising when they are up against another AFL grand final. It's a shame, but it's not going to change.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
The last draw in a Grand Final was in 1977, and Collingwood was also involved in that match (against North Melbourne). The Roos won the following weekend. This draw will change the way the AFL will deal with drawn Grand Finals and we will probably see 5-10 minutes of extra time played if a Grand Final is drawn again in the future.

Just to give everyone some idea of the economics and the importance of AFL to Victorians, the rematch will bring in over $30 million in tickets sales and tourism to the AFL, Channel 7 and Melbourne.

There was a video article in The Age, Melbourne's main newspaper, about the effects that a Grand Final rematch will have on other sports next weekend. Two sports were mentioned as being adversely affected: horse racing and soccer. The Commonwealth Games was mentioned in passing. But nothing about cycling or the World Championships. Australians are sports mad, but footy is the religion and everything else is a side issue. The fact that sports reporters in Victoria don't even rate the road cycling world championships, even with an Aussie as reigning world champion, is not that surprising when they are up against another AFL grand final. It's a shame, but it's not going to change.

The Age is definetly not the main newspaper in melbourne. Herald Sun easily out sells it if my memory serves me correct.

TRENDING THREADS