• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFLD to carry out additional testing at TDF

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/afld-comes-to-agreement-with-uci-over-tour-de-france-tests

French anti-doping agency will be allowed to carry out controls

The French Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD) has reached an agreement with the UCI to carry out additional testing at the Tour de France.

The agency has been at odds with the sport’s governing body in recent years, most recently over its obligations to provide medical supervision of controls at Paris-Nice. The AFLD refused to be involved with the UCI, citing the federation’s “serious mistakes” made in the past.

The organizers of the Tour de France, ASO, expressed a desire to have the AFLD perform controls at the Tour de France this year in order to have a “truly independent” anti-doping body involved.

The UCI has reached an agreement with the agency today, in which it will provide whereabouts information on riders and biological passport data so that the AFLD can perform random tests.

Great news the more independent testing the better.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
That's great news. Now to have every rider followed 24/7 during the Tour by a neutral non biased anti-doping official to ensure nobody gets an extra blood bag and then we can see a clean GT.

When was the last time the AFLD tested during the Tour? It was 2008 wasn't it?

Dear Wiggo said:
Be interesting to know if that BP data is historical or contemporary - ie as the official tests are done during the race. Not a lot of point in having data (like say, the 2012 Giro) from 6 months prior.

Take that one step further. What if there's sparse data leading up to the event? Some aspects of the bio-passport won't work.

Another angle on the problem: if Saugy's lab is doing the testing, we already know APMU administrator(s?)suppressed suspicous samples. There could be widespread suspicious results, but nothing passed to experts.

IMHO, it makes the ASO look quite a bit better, but I'd be very surprised if any positives come out of it. The UCI still has plenty of anti-doping access.

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Aye, that's grand! I will now be able to sleep soundly, knowing the Sky rider Vince McMahon......ops...... I mean Pat McQuaid has chosen to win this years Tour was tested by the AFLD, and the test results were tweaked by the UCI........

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
That's great news. Now to have every rider followed 24/7 during the Tour by a neutral non biased anti-doping official to ensure nobody gets an extra blood bag and then we can see a clean GT.

When was the last time the AFLD tested during the Tour? It was 2008 wasn't it?

No, 2010 was the only year AFLD wasn't responsible for the testing program (in recent years).

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Nilsson said:
No, 2010 was the only year AFLD wasn't responsible for the testing program (in recent years).

Got a link for any of the other years? I was under the impression that the UCI handled all of the testing the last four Tours and made a great effort to totally exclude the AFLD and the ASO played a part in that as well.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Just called Froome-dawg. He said "you're having a bark!".

He just lost the Tour.

Nah I still want him to go apocalyptic and blow the race apart with his ridiculousness. Just like Ricco and Piepoli did in 2008. Then Sky can get thrown out of the race after the AFLD catch him and Brailsford can have that knighthood the Queen just slapped on him rescinded.

The last time AFLD was testing in the Tour was 2008.

'06, '07 and '08 = Many high profile positives
'09, '10, '11 and '12 = Non high profile positives (Contador's wasn't during the race, and was attempted to be covered up)

This bodes well for heads to roll :)

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
How can this be? According to McQuaid previously, it isn't possible to have independence from the UCI in doping control because WADA doesn't allow it.

While that's what he previously said, I think this is a great step, both for ASO and for the AFLD.

Now I hope the lab has sufficient funding to make the additional testing the equivalent of a full testing program.

Galic Ho said:
Nah I still want him to go apocalyptic and blow the race apart with his ridiculousness. Just like Ricco and Piepoli did in 2008. Then Sky can get thrown out of the race after the AFLD catch him and Brailsford can have that knighthood the Queen just slapped on him rescinded.

Piepoli and Ricco?

Was that the race where they left Frank "EUR7000 Vitamins" Schleck in the dust?

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Got a link for any of the other years? I was under the impression that the UCI handled all of the testing the last four Tours and made a great effort to totally exclude the AFLD and the ASO played a part in that as well.

Almost every year was a AFLD-year. In recent years only 2010 was different, because of a disagreement with the UCI, and instead of AFLD WADA partnered up. That resulted in the well-known leaked suspicion list and the IO-report from WADA. In 2011 AFLD came back on board. http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8849/AFLD-and-UCI-confirm-collaboration-for-Tour-de-France.aspx

The 2009 AFLD-report (which partly leaded to the one-year break): http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net/AFLD+documents+English.pdf

The 2010 WADA IO-report: http://d3epuodzu3wuis.cloudfront.net/2010-10-28+WADA+Independent+Observers+Report+TDF+2010.pdf

TRENDING THREADS