• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFLD to carry out additional testing at TDF

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
peterst6906 said:
How can this be? According to McQuaid previously, it isn't possible to have independence from the UCI in doping control because WADA doesn't allow it.

Your first mistake is believing anything McQuaid says. This is a guy that has a pattern whenever there's some anti-doping controversy:

Step 1: The UCI is on top of it. No problems
Step 2: There is still a problem??? The bio-passport is complicated. So complicated the UCI relies on outside experts.
Step 3: There is still a problem??? Silence

peterst6906 said:
While that's what he previously said, I think this is a great step, both for ASO and for the AFLD.

Now I hope the lab has sufficient funding to make the additional testing the equivalent of a full testing program.

IF the AFLD targets the top of the GC, I think it might get interesting if the UCI isn't suppressing results. As Armstrong's "comeback" testing showed, his samples were clearly suspicious, yet they were never routed out of the APMU to experts so a case could be opened. In 2013, the UCI has total control over the APMU process, so lots of opportunities to protect riders by hiding results. (Froome-dog I'm looking at you)

Testing inside a Grand Tour is problematic even with a healthy budget. Which, the AFLD probably doesn't have.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Piepoli and Ricco?

Was that the race where they left Frank "EUR7000 Vitamins" Schleck in the dust?

Yeah that was the stage, Hautacam but it was Pi-epo-li and Cobo that day. No Ricco he was staying back to not make a joke of the race. Poor Franck got rolled that day. Was an awesome thing to watch. What was better was Stefan Schumacher going out in the break day after day and then Ricco got bored, soloed away from the peloton and caught Schumacher and dumped him like a bad smell.

As Netserk said, Hautacam was hilarious in 2008. And thanks Netserk for clearing the testing up. Nilsson I was certain the last time the AFLD was testing was 2008 and after that the ASO lost their marbles with how many they caught. Afterwards they were testing but in a diminished capacity. Your links talk about stuff I remember seeing and hearing about in the Clinic. Particularly the 1 hour tea and coffee break the testers had when Astana's doors were knocked on. LA came back, Patrice Clerc was fired from the ASO because he wouldn't let Lance come back at all (which was both a negative and a positive act) and Pierre Bordry and his team at the AFLD were no longer cool to have around. After all, they'd been catching some big time doping going on. Which Netserk illustrated.

I say the Gendarmerie should execute a couple of hotel raids and mid race stings on team buses. Put the Fear of God into those pesky dopers. Stir things up a little. The Tour could use a good couple of big name busts. They always make for good conversation pieces.:D

Galic Ho said:
Yeah that was the stage, Hautacam but it was Pi-epo-li and Cobo that day. No Ricco he was staying back to not make a joke of the race. Poor Franck got rolled that day. Was an awesome thing to watch. What was better was Stefan Schumacher going out in the break day after day and then Ricco got bored, soloed away from the peloton and caught Schumacher and dumped him like a bad smell.

As Netserk said, Hautacam was hilarious in 2008. And thanks Netserk for clearing the testing up. Nilsson I was certain the last time the AFLD was testing was 2008 and after that the ASO lost their marbles with how many they caught. Afterwards they were testing but in a diminished capacity. Your links talk about stuff I remember seeing and hearing about in the Clinic. Particularly the 1 hour tea and coffee break the testers had when Astana's doors were knocked on. LA came back, Patrice Clerc was fired from the ASO because he wouldn't let Lance come back at all (which was both a negative and a positive act) and Pierre Bordry and his team at the AFLD were no longer cool to have around. After all, they'd been catching some big time doping going on. Which Netserk illustrated.

I say the Gendarmerie should execute a couple of hotel raids and mid race stings on team buses. Put the Fear of God into those pesky dopers. Stir things up a little. The Tour could use a good couple of big name busts. They always make for good conversation pieces.:D

There's a video. Can't remember where now of the AFLD tester with Beltran. The look on Beltran face was "huh? Testing me? Why? This has not happend before".

He gets chased across a field, submits to the test and test postive 3 days later...

I want to see Froome-dawg get chased across a meadow by armed AFLD inspectors looking for a sample!

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Is AFLD doing Paris-Nice?

Porte has been reigned in. What's going on?

And Tejay van Garderen too. He was 2 seconds slower than old slow coach Porte over 2.9kms. Shocking. And these guys are meant to be good TTers. Not Normal. :eek:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
deleted material
Porte won the Tour of Romandie prologue over 4km three years back.

Also was the fastest rider in the Giro prologue over the second half split.

think you owe The Hog an apology

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Whatever about those two over a short tricky course....what the hell is Gaudin doing winning against that field, or winning anything full stop and noone bats an eyelid.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
noddy69 said:
Whatever about those two over a short tricky course....what the hell is Gaudin doing winning against that field, or winning anything full stop and noone bats an eyelid.

we need a two strike system, eg:

use of the word, "surprise" in race report
+ lantern jaw

= add to probable list.

people who commentate usually see up and comers, and their language can be telling when something is surprising (cf BW 2009).

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
The last time AFLD was testing in the Tour was 2008.

'06, '07 and '08 = Many high profile positives
'09, '10, '11 and '12 = Non high profile positives (Contador's wasn't during the race, and was attempted to be covered up)

This bodes well for heads to roll :)

What years did Pharmstrong take a leave from riding the tour de France? I forgot.

noddy69 said:

I think this is normal.

Not normal comes around May to September.

French cyclists are good when everyone else is normal.

peloton said:
Who are these Clinic 12?

1st RULE: You do not talk about the CLINIC 12.

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about the CLINIC 12.

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out then you're suspended. (By Susan)

4th RULE: Only 12 guys to a fight.

5th RULE: One post every 60 seconds.

6th RULE: Minimum 10 charchters.

7th RULE: Fights will go on as long as they have to. No sockpuppets.

8th RULE: If this is your first night in the Clinic, you HAVE to post, no lurking.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
peloton said:
Who are these Clinic 12?

Let's not go there again. Long discussion about the relevancy of the clinic and the number of people who actually spoke out about LA.

There is no actual clinic 12, it was just a fanboy claim.

thehog said:

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out then you're suspended. (By Susan)

8th RULE: If this is your first night in the Clinic, you HAVE to post, no lurking.
So awesome :D

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

Well played :D

TRENDING THREADS