• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

After 3rd restday, Who will win the 2014 Giro?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

After the 3rd rest day who will win the 2014 Giro?

• Vino come back and wins

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rechtschreibfehler said:
Voted Rolland, because I want it to happen!

Giro/Tour double!!!

I really don't know who'll win it though. Maybe it'll be Hesjedal after they ignored him in a breakaway and he ends up with an 4 minutes andvantage. ;)

Although I agree that we have had to suffer some bad racing to get to this point, I think the Giro is beautifully poised now.

The first ITT was brilliant. I really enjoyed it, in spite of Evans denying me €700 as I had Majka each way with the bookmakers.

I really enjoyed the last two mountain stages. And we have a full week of fun to come.

Personally, I think the most likely winners are Uran-Quintana-Aru in that order, because of the fact that Uran has time in the bank, and Quintana seems to be getting strong.

But there are a number of potential Thomas de Gendt figures this year. Kelderman, Rolland and Hesjedal could put the leading teams under pressure if they put in an attack on an earlier climb on one of the road stages. Kelderman could get some help from one or two teammates looking at the Belkin squad.

And guys like Majka and Pozzovivo could have a big say yet. I am a big fan of the former, but he does not have a history of riding aggressively. Pozzovivo was one of the few interesting racers in the first week, but he suffered yesterday. He really needed to be gaining most days on Uran; he could afford one day to not make up time but losing time yesterday was fatal.

I hate giving the obvious answers to these questions (voted Majka last poll) but realistically I think the winner is Uran.

IMHO this is still quintana's race to lose, but if he does not ride actively in order to take significant (1-minute-ish) time tomorrow, then I'll start to doubt.

granted, there is still the zoncolan and the MTT to come, but the other top riders are no passers by either.

meat puppet said:
IMHO this is still quintana's race to lose, but if he does not ride actively in order to take significant (1-minute-ish) time tomorrow, then I'll start to doubt.

granted, there is still the zoncolan and the MTT to come, but the other top riders are no passers by either.

If quintana loses time in TT to Uran as a lot of people expect, I just can't see him making up enough time

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
If quintana loses time in TT to Uran as a lot of people expect, I just can't see him making up enough time

This is some kind of bad joke isnt it:D
I dont know how much he will gain,but he certainly won't lose any;) (check his mtt and hilly tt results)

ILovecycling said:
This is some kind of bad joke isnt it:D
I dont know how much he will gain,but he certainly won't lose any;) (check his mtt and hilly tt results)

I hope you are right, but I don't think he will take that much if he does beat Uran in the TT. How much time realistically can Quintana take on Uran on Zoncolan? One thing that is for sure is Quintana seems to be peaking at the perfect time.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
I hope you are right, but I don't think he will take that much if he does beat Uran in the TT. How much time realistically can Quintana take on Uran on Zoncolan? One thing that is for sure is Quintana seems to be peaking at the perfect time.

Minutes if Quintana has a good day and Uran a bad day. Anything can happen on the slopes of Zoncolan. Including even Quintana having a bad day.

Uran really hasn't convinced me thus far that he has the climbing form to take on a improving Quintana.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Gonna connect some dots here. :D
Quintana took a minute on Betancur at the pais Vasco hilly TT, Nibali took 1:32 on him in the MTF TT at the Giro. Betancur finished just a few seconds behind Uran.

As we all know, Quintana excels at MTT even more so then really hilly TT's; and would probably be rated as the better climber to Nibali.

So from this I summarize that it is possible an in form Quintana could take a minute or more on Uran. Of course both could very well, and likely have, improved from last year. Uran seems to have worked on his time trialing (shown by his win), so the gap between the two could probably be much less. I'd say around 30-45 seconds at the very least between the two (not gonna predict order though ;)), could be more as well.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Gonna connect some dots here. :D
Quintana took a minute on Betancur at the pais Vasco hilly TT, Nibali took 1:32 on him in the MTF TT at the Giro. Betancur finished just a few seconds behind Uran.

As we all know, Quintana excels at MTT even more so then really hilly TT's; and would probably be rated as the better climber to Nibali.

So from this I summarize that it is possible an in form Quintana could take a minute or more on Uran. Of course both could very well, and likely have, improved from last year. Uran seems to have worked on his time trialing (shown by his win), so the gap between the two could probably be much less. I'd say around 30-45 seconds at the very least between the two (not gonna predict order though ;)), could be more as well.

Sound plausible, I wouldn´t challenge that.

1. Quintana - No explanation needed
2. Uran Uran - has been looking a little too weak on the climbs so far
3. Aru/Majka/Evans - any of these 3 can take the last spot. Depends on whether Aru is gonna fade in the last week and if Evans can, somehow, bounce back. If not, Majka will get a podium, thanks to his consistency.

Surely some voted after it was clear that Nairo was away, but atm this is the result:

Rigoberto Uran
Akuryo, Amsterdam, Armchair cyclist, asdfgh101, barmaher, Better Call Saul, Big Doopie, bursaomentalis, Crevaison, CrohnieRider, Dekker_Tifosi, del1962, DJ Sprtsch, draussen, Eclipse, Elcondor, element, Flamin, FoxxyBrown1111, gerundium, Googol, gustavoduncan, gustienordic, Hakkapelit, jaylew, JetSet, Kukiak, LugHugger, mastermind, Matt92, Nastyy, Njbb1995, Nuash65, oliveira, phanatic, Pricey_sky, PunchingRouleur, Rajna31, RichieTheBest, scholar, Somar13, spalco, The fridge in the blue trees, Them Bones, thequestionmark, togo95, VanBsr, vino2001, _nm___

Cadel Evans
BigMac, cineteq, classicomano, Marcus135, msjett, observer, senatorrick, Zam_Olyas

Rafal Majka
bajbar, metaCYCLE, mrhender, Opalius, pylarz, sacrifice&hardwork

Fabio Aru
Alpechraxler, Hartog, hokki8, jens_attacks, LaFlorecita, maxmartin, Pentacycle, Red Rick, SafeBet, seabridge, SeriousSam, Sharkhawk, stefrees, Vetlocipede, Vino attacks everyone

Nairo Alexander Quintana
18-Valve. (pithy), 42x16ss, Aapjes, Afrank, Angliru, Angulo, archa55, b.broadhurst, Bumbibjörnen, burning, Butterhead, Cance > TheRest, CycloAndy, Dazed and Confused, DenisMenchov, Der Effe, DickDastardly, Elminutobueno, Eshnar, fauniera, FjPavels, forkboy84, funnie, garthsheehan, Geraint Too Fast, GJB123, Guybrush, Hedser, Hugo87, ILovecycling, ItalianGigolo, Jaco0505, Jancouver, JosephD, Jspear, l.Harm, lenric, LightBing, luckyboy, Lupi33, Malmeren, maltiv, Marco Pantani, meat puppet, Netserk, nogav1ca, no_slipstream, nuvolablu, olopaine, Parrulo, Peter von, PirazziAttacksVino, plooton, Popchu, postmanhat, rghysens, Ruby United, sajmones, Shardi, Skibby the bush kangaroo, TomekA, Wigwan, YannickQ, yetiyeti

Domenico Pozzovivo
Contadoraus Schlecks, HSNHSN, Sciocco

Wilco Kelderman
lennart

Pierre Rolland
JaffaGT, Rechtschreibfehler

Robert Kiserlovski

Vino come back and wins
Aproblem, nunomb, Samson777, struklknedl

The Hitch said:
Because I don't see any one stage at the tdf that stands out as a gc decider for that race as much as this one does here.

DenisMenchov said:
This stage will most likely not decide the GC. It will probably eliminate a contender or two, but the showdown will be on the Zonc.
0080.gif

TRENDING THREADS