• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Aging veterans: who will be best in 2013?

Which aging veteran will be best in 2013?

• Other/Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Keeping the polls going so we have something to discuss in the off season, which of cyclings aging veterans (former GT contenders) will be best in 2013.

For this thread I would define an aging veteran as someone born before 1979 at least, who has had one or more seasons that indicates they could be in decline and aren't likely to be winning anymore of the really big races.

There is of course the possibility that the riders in the poll could improve on this last season, but I would say these are the 6 riders that can most be seen a being past their prime.

Sanchez should be in the poll, he is Menchov's age. Pellizoti too.

Ill go for Sanchez or maybe Evans. Menchov is dead to me and the others are too old.

And if you are counting Scarponi then Purito should be in there too, he is 3 months younger.

So in conclusion, Purito by a country mile.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
snachez should be in the poll, he is Menchov's age.

I considered Sanchez, but his bad performance this year was mostly due to injuries. And his 2nd in Lombardia shows he may not yet be past his prime.

Purito just had a great season so I don't think he can be considered past his prime either.

Similar situation with Pellizotti, he was coming back from a ban and still had some good results this year that indicate he may not yet be past his prime.

The Hitch said:
Sanchez should be in the poll, he is Menchov's age.

It's not the age you need to worry about, it's the mileage. Menchov has started 21 Grand Tours - two a year for the last nine years. There's a toll to be paid. He's burnt out early, just like Sastre did.

By contrast Sanchez has started far fewer GTs and has very rarely done two in one season - he's still good for a couple more years at least.

Kloden :D

Well he wasn't too far behind Cadel in last years Tour (though admittedly Evans put in some big efforts whilst Klodi just rode annonymously). I hope that he finally gives the Giro a go, and can finish in the top ten. Then ride as handy support to Andy in July. Certainly his days of a GT podium are gone, but so might be the rest of the riders on this list.

jens_attacks said:
papy horner and davide rebellin will rock the pro cycling world next year

the other mentioned riders are still teenagers

These old school guys without helmet.

octavio-oldest-cyclist.jpg

TRENDING THREADS