• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Agreement to not test LA on Ironman?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The WTC takes direction for dope testing from the USADA.
Did the USADA drop the ball on testing at Panama?
Maybe the USADA were distracted. Took their eye off the ball.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Another day, another consulting dollar.

Again, if only! (Just ask Dean Golich, Dave Jordaan, Ben Sharp, Andy Sparks, Nate Kortuem, and/or Hunter Allen how much I have ever charged them.)

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
acoggan said:
Again, if only! (Just ask Dean Golich, Dave Jordaan, Ben Sharp, Andy Sparks, Nate Kortuem, and/or Hunter Allen how much I have ever charged them.)

I love it when the forum admins disable my images (CN reserves the right to display their annoying images first).
Fanboys_poster.jpg

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
The WTC takes direction for dope testing from the USADA.
Did the USADA drop the ball on testing at Panama?
Maybe the USADA were distracted. Took their eye off the ball.

I believe you are wrong Polish.

WTC control who should be tested, when they are to be tested and manage all results in house.

USADA act under WTC directions for collecting and testing only.

WTC interview extracts with Slowtwitch.comin May 2011

In the interim WTC handles its own drug testing—sort of. It is its own testing authority, that is, it is the tester of record at most of its races. But it contracts with national anti-doping agencies in each country to carry out its tests (USADA in the United States, ASADA in Australia, and so on).

SLOWTWITCH: When drug testing occurs at an Ironman or Ironman 70.3 event, who is the testing authority?

KATE MITTELSTADT: Most often WTC. There are some cases where a national anti-doping organization [NADO] may step in and test and be the testing authority if we are not testing at a specific event

SLOWTWITCH: ANADO was the service provider for WTC. But ANADO is no longer providing this service. Who is WTC's service provider now?

KATE MITTELSTADT: We made the decision to bring the administration in-house. In other words: Me. And we're still using the network of anti-doping organizations as service providers.

SLOWTWITCH: So, in the U.S, will you use USADA as the service provider?

KATE MITTELSTADT: USADA is the current service provide for tests in the U.S.

KATE MITTELSTADT: Absolutely not. We are identified specifically as testing authority and results management authority. The labs are reporting directly back to us.

SLOWTWITCH: Still, though, according to WADA code, the IF automatically gets notified of an adverse finding. That's cleared up, the IF is no longer getting notified?

KATE MITTELSTADT: WTC is the recognized international federation equivalent, and therefore gets the reports.

SLOWTWITCH: So, somebody from a WADA lab could show up at your door or at your masters swim practice, ask for a sample, and you're obliged to give it, whether you're in the OOC pool or not? Just, if you're not in the pool, you're not obliged by the rules of the OOC pool, registering your whereabouts and so forth.

KATE MITTELSTADT: Yes, but, it's not just somebody from a lab, but somebody under the jurisdiction of WTC.

SLOWTWITCH: This person is contracted by WTC, and he takes the sample to the WADA lab?

KATE MITTELSTADT: It's a USADA doping control officer. Our contract is with USADA [in the U.S.].

WTC totally in control of selection and results management.

Nirvana for Lance edward Armstrong.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Velodude said:
WTC totally in control of selection and results management.

Nirvana for Lance edward Armstrong.

I will agree on the Nirvana for Lance.

But I disagree on the WTC in total control for selection and results.
After all, the USADA would/did do the testing at Panama. And test results.
And the USADA determines who is on the "Out of Competition" test list.

So the WTC would have been unable to do the recent OOC test or any testing at Panama without the USADA.

If there are any chain of custody snafus or any tampering with samples - it would be the USADA's fault. Buck stops there.

Sep 5, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:

Thought her interview in Slowtwitch was unequivocal.

Only question I could put is "Has there been any change in WTC anti doping procedures since your interview with Slowtwitch in May 2011?"

I would suggest that WTC is still totally in control of doping controls as only 4-10 placed were tested (by random sample) and 1-3 had a free pass.

Thereby an OOC would be a joke. No surprise element and Armstrong only OOC'ed for PR purposes after the 1-3 controversy.

"Hello, Lance, what date suits you for an OOC?"

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Look guys, Lance is doing these Triathalons for fun. And being dope tested is NOT fun. Inconvenient and a hassle. Harshing the fun aspect.

So I have no problem with WTC giving Lance a heads ups on the OOC test.
In Lance's case, it makes perfect sense. Polite. Still fun.

And of course, it pads Lance's lead as the most tested athlete ever lol.

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Im just so happy to see the ITU getting involved. For a long time WTC was essentially treated as its own NGO, and I think those times are about to change. The rise of other series in tri is going to mean that WTC isnt all on its own, and that rules need to exist for these series. I think what we'll see happening is that the series races in a country will have to abide by that NGOs rules (all of them instead of just some) to get sanctioned. And I think the whole reason WTC even cares about that is that without sanctioning, they have to buy their own race insurance and have to find a way to provide excess coverage to athletes. Unless the WTC is willing to take that on and increase races fees again, I think they'll give in to ITU requests/demands.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
Didn't seem too happy at all, did he?

I imagine lots of those involved in Tri are not happy with the 'backpack' he brings to the sport. Looks likely that Tri will now get the old doping media coverage :rolleyes:

Caruut said:
Little Freudian slip there by the interviewer?

But accurate :D

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I imagine lots of those involved in Tri are not happy with the 'backpack' he brings to the sport. Looks likely that Tri will now get the old doping media coverage :rolleyes:

I always thought that Tri had similar problems to cycling in terms of doping.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
I always thought that Tri had similar problems to cycling in terms of doping.

Well i do too, but without all the scandals that cycling has suffered and that is what Armstrong will bring, unwanted attention of doping allegations