• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Air Quality Affects and Effects on Cycling, Now and in the Future

May 2, 2023
Visit site
The last few years there have been days when I wanted to ride outside, but I couldn't because the air quality was not good enough for my health. Is there anyone else who has also felt frustrated about not enjoying their cycling because of poor air quality?

I always figured that getting older would keep me from riding my bikes as much outside, but it has turned out that the environment becoming more toxic and unfriendly is what has curbed my enjoyment of my favourite exercise and sport. My experiences have been with bad air quality from fires and pollution, and so I am interested in hearing stories from cyclists who have dealt with the same circumstances; as well, I have only read about poor air quality from sand storms, so I am curios to hear from cyclists who have dealt with similar obstacles.

Is the human race doomed to wear some sort of air filter mask in the future because the air is so toxic that we can't live without wearing one?
Are cyclists or pro-cyclists going to be wearing air quality filter masks in the future just to enjoy their hobby or to compete as professionals?
Are pro-cyclists already on this path, using outside medication to control their negative reaction, with the popularity of asthma inhalers?
Are pro-cyclists all going to become indoor racers because that is the only place where air quality can be controlled and kept clean?
Does anyone see a bright future on the horizon in regard to air quality for cycling?
What are some ways to clean up the future?
What can we do right now?

(I would like this thread to only deal with air quality issues.)

Last edited:
May 2, 2023
Visit site
If you are not affected by bad air quality then you are lucky. I was affected by bad air quality in my home country, and even though I immigrated and live in a different country and continent, I am still affected by bad air quality. I am not a special case. Everyone around me was and is still feeling the issues of bad air quality.

May 2, 2023
Visit site
Does anyone remember the 2008 Beijing Olympics whereby many cyclists, and other athletes, did not want to participate in because of the bad air quality?

Isn't anyone concerned about millions of Asians wearing masks everyday outside because the air quality is so bad they literally have to?

Isn't anyone affected by the recent outbreak of forest fires in Alberta, Canada that had a problem cycling outside because of the terrible air quality?

TRENDING THREADS