• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Airline rape, er, baggage fees

laura.weislo

Administrator
Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to put this out to the forum for some advice... I'm flying to Belgium next month and would like to bring my bike. Continental Airlines informs me that if I should fly, it would cost me $100 because it's a bicycle. And if it's a bicycle that is oversized (62 inches L+W+D), it's $150 for the oversized bag. If you wanted to bring a second oversized bike bag - you would pay $100+$150+$150 for the extra bag.

Were it not a bicycle - if it were, say, a billiards table - it would only be $150.

If you fly with a normal bike packed tightly in a normal case, it's $500 round trip. Should husband and wife wish to go on a bicycle tour together, that's $1000.

Round trip, if one person were to fly with two bikes, it would cost you $1300. Same baggage, one less person, $300 more.

The price of a person flying round trip is $700.

Should I purchase a seat for my bicycle and just put it next to me? Would they serve it an extra meal?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Look at different airlines. I flew from Canada to Australia with Air Canada with TWO bikes and it cost me $225, including a local flight within Australia. If there are no better deals with US airlines, then either look at European airlines or renting a bike in Belgium.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
The internugget is a great resource...

Try
http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/travel/bagregs.htm
and
http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/major-airline-policies-and-prices-for-flying-with-a-bicycle/
and
http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22338/28750-bike--travel--pitfalls-flying-bicycle

I find that if you frequent a country it's a good idea to make friends and work out some bike storage deal. I have bikes in storage at friends' houses in the two European countries that I travel to every year, so I never have to travel with one.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Its not a bicycle!

1/ I usually plan my flights on the basis of total charges, so I would look around at the time of booking. Ok so that is not much use to you now.

2/ get a custom bike bag that allows you to remove both wheels and strip the bike down a bit, ie remove pedals, rear mech, saddle, etc. the aim is to get inside the total dimension rule. A soft bag will also keep weight down.

3/ get a bag that doesn't have bike imprints all over it, so doesn't look like a bike bag.

4/ consider packing extra stuff into this bag, if the total weight allows (although the two bag rule may work out better from the States). Take maximum advantage of carry on luggage etc.

5/ It isn't a bicycle, it is parts. This has worked for me in the past.

6/ Make sure you are comfortable with how you will be charged before you get to the airport. This gives you the best chance of keeping costs down, and no surprises at check-in.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
laura.weislo said:
I'd like to put this out to the forum for some advice... I'm flying to Belgium next month and would like to bring my bike. Continental Airlines informs me that if I should fly, it would cost me $100 because it's a bicycle. And if it's a bicycle that is oversized (62 inches L+W+D), it's $150 for the oversized bag. If you wanted to bring a second oversized bike bag - you would pay $100+$150+$150 for the extra bag.

Were it not a bicycle - if it were, say, a billiards table - it would only be $150.

If you fly with a normal bike packed tightly in a normal case, it's $500 round trip. Should husband and wife wish to go on a bicycle tour together, that's $1000.

Round trip, if one person were to fly with two bikes, it would cost you $1300. Same baggage, one less person, $300 more.

The price of a person flying round trip is $700.

Should I purchase a seat for my bicycle and just put it next to me? Would they serve it an extra meal?

Laura, most commercial couriers such as UPS/FedEx will accept a boxed bike and will look after it a lot better than an airline. they will collect from your home address and deliver to your hotel. you'll need to ask the hotel to accept and sign for the bikes. total price per bike should be competitive.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
What the heck - with swine flu and the bad ecomomy and less travel, the airlines are trying their best to make up the profits somewhere !!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
it really depends on the airline. I have paid $0 and I have paid $300:eek: Usually I have been charged about 100 which to me seems fair. we will have to see what happens this summer as both my wife and I are traveling to euro with bikes.

TRENDING THREADS