• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alberto Contador and Doping

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
SilentAssassin said:
Contador was one of nine riders expelled from the TDF years ago at one point after being linked to a blood-doping ring in the Spanish capital. I wouldn't doubt he still cheats today.

Menchov has never been linked to doping by the way.

You mean to tell me that most if not all of the top 10 in a GT are transfusing their own blood?

What a breakthrough.

His power/weight over the years

I took values user Halamala provided me in a previous thread on power and average values from an individual named "Thomas" and an anonymous character on Science of Sport's post comments. Here's a plot I was able to put together. Interpret what you want.

Cozy Beehive said:
I took values user Halamala provided me in a previous thread on power and average values from an individual named "Thomas" and an anonymous character on Science of Sport's post comments. Here's a plot I was able to put together. Interpret what you want.

pretty much normal...apart from 6,4 this year;)
btw how much was andy doin on the tourmalet if AC did 5,8 and he was on his wheel all the time

Cozy Beehive said:

Great, thanks for that.

So his head-to-head with the Chicken is more or less the same as his efforts this year.

Seems to dispel any talk of Contador not being "at his best" this year.

saganftw said:
pretty much normal...apart from 6,4 this year;)
btw how much was andy doin on the tourmalet if AC did 5,8 and he was on his wheel all the time

Anonymous had calculated 6.68 W/kg for that climb, and Thomas got 6.33. I took the average. Every person has a different value in his calculations. Might as well take all the averages and work with that. :)

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Cozy Beehive said:

How do you interpret such results? Are they indication of clean riding or blood doping? How many variables come into play when trying to understand those figures?

craig1985 said:
How do you interpret such results? Are they indication of clean riding or blood doping? How many variables come into play when trying to understand those figures?

I'll leave that to others. I personally can't say much looking at this. What would have been interesting was to superimpose total times of the climbs and grade along with power to weight info. You're welcome to help me.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
saganftw said:
world cup,nadal dominating tennis world,contador cycling world...seriously what are they doin down there?:rolleyes:

Well, you can have serious doubts regarding cycling, or even with Nadal (although the guy is as technical as anyone or more). But I don´t think they won the footbal WC (or basketball worlds, handball worlds, motorbike worlds in different categories, F1, indoor football world champs etc....) thanks to any doping. Those other sports require basically technique or skills, something that cannot be given by a doping programme. In fact the Spanish footbal team was clearly in bad physical condition this year. They just had more technique than any other team, and certainly some luck.

What about the 5 wins in the last 6 years at the TdF by 3 different riders?? I personally believe doping plays a role, as much as in the rest of the countries. Cyclists in general share the same doctors, and those Spanish cyclists rode in often foreing teams...

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Indurain (and the very personable Delgado) inspired many a Spanish adolescent to take up cycling. The tremendous success of current Spanish cyclists owes a lot to their inspiration, although Spain has a long history in the sport, e.g. Bahamontes.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Giro 2008, Stage 16, Plan de Corones (ITT)

Contador: VAM 1597 m/h, 5.61 w/kg

Giro 2008, Stage 19, Monte Pora (last 5,0 km)

Contador: VAM 1597 m/h, 5.87 w/kg

Giro 2008, Stage 20, Passo del Mortirolo

Contador: VAM 1673 m/h, 5.38 w/kg

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
Contador was one of nine riders expelled from the TDF years ago at one point after being linked to a blood-doping ring in the Spanish capital. I wouldn't doubt he still cheats today.

so, you were right on the money