• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 590 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Well it's been the plan since September last year. I think he wants another try at a GT double. Maybe to prepare for Giro-Tour next year?

I know it is the plan for a long time. But every year we have to wait if he's going to do the Vuelta. If he's going to win the Tour, it's likely he will not do the Vuelta.

Winning the double looks impossible to me. I can't see him beating a 'fresh' Quintana or Rodriguez (if he's not competing at the Tour). It's almost impossible these days.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
no offense to the vuelta, but I wish Contador would just forget about it and go 100% for the tour.

It's more that Contador is going 100% for the Tour, and goes to the Vuelta with what's left in the tank.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Not necessarily a bad idea right? Maybe take a stage win, perhaps top 3 overall. Sounds good to me.

Really good. Don't get me right. I would love to see Contador in the Vuelta. Go mad in the first two weeks, and survive in the third.

And a Purito, Quintana and Contador podium looks fine to me:p

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Not necessarily a bad idea right? Maybe take a stage win, perhaps top 3 overall. Sounds good to me.

Well, if youre gonna put it that way I wont complain.

What is the prediction for the dauphine in here? Im gonna go out on a limb and say he will beat the Dawg. ;)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Well, if youre gonna put it that way I wont complain.

What is the prediction for the dauphine in here? Im gonna go out on a limb and say he will beat the Dawg. ;)

How much i love Alberto, i see Froome win it. Will be a close fight though.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I can actually see Contador beat Froome. All he has to do is follow Froome uphill and then attack in the last k. Of course if he loses a lot of time in the TT that won't help him beat Froome.

Yes, I am thinking (hoping) that he wont get dropped by Froome.

I wish the TT could have been a bit longer though.. Now it wont tell us anything. Unless Contador loses 20 seconds or something, then everyone will be in panic mode :p

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
He should just try to follow Froome IMO, not even concern himself with trying to win the race. But instead just get that last few racing miles in the legs and scope out his main competitor.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It would be a huge mental blow for Froome if Contador would beat him uphill I think. And it would give Alberto a lot of confidence.

I agree, and if he does find himself with the chance of riding away from Froome and taking a win then he has to take that chance. He just shouldn't go out and try really hard to win the whole thing through constant attacks or long range attacks that we would normally see from him in a race he's trying to win.

Instead follow Froome, scope out what kind of shape he's in (maybe use attacks to test how he reacts to them), and if the opportunity presents itself, try to go away from Froome to take the win.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
It would be a huge mental blow for Froome if Contador would beat him uphill I think. And it would give Alberto a lot of confidence.

If he does, then we will probably hear more complaining from Froome that his mechanics put on a wrong gearing....:rolleyes:

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Well it's been the plan since September last year. I think he wants another try at a GT double. Maybe to prepare for Giro-Tour next year?

That would be suicide to any hopes of a long carear surely. It would be 4GT's in a row. Contador never does two GT's in a row for two years running. If he lose's in the TDF i would hope he goes for the Giro/Vuelta for say 3 years. He would have a great shot with Quintana and Froome battling for the TDF. I think he will have too much pride though and will keep comming back to the TDF. I would like to see him win 5 Vuelta's personally(break Heras record).

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
if he is going for TDF-Vuelta double, i dont think he will do giro as well.

80% AC won Vuelta a cpl of years ago. so anything can happen with him.:)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Contador never once wins Dauphene. Whether that was on purpose or not, doesn't matter. What matter is I think, winning Dauphene isn't really his major objective (he'll take if it comes his way). I would think winning a stage especially the mountain top finish is most important goal because it helps giving him an indication how he fares against Froome. I don't know what to expect for this Dauphene. His DS comment on TS website doesn't really sound like a confidence. It's more like downplay and see day by day kinda approach. So it's hard to tell what contador form looks like actually. On the other hand, Froome seems to be proclaiming that he is back better than last year. So I'm anxious.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
I know it is the plan for a long time. But every year we have to wait if he's going to do the Vuelta. If he's going to win the Tour, it's likely he will not do the Vuelta.

Winning the double looks impossible to me. I can't see him beating a 'fresh' Quintana or Rodriguez (if he's not competing at the Tour). It's almost impossible these days.

That would be my guess too. If he ended up podium TDF, he will for sure do Vuelta. If he wins it, he most likely won't do Vuelta. Unless, if Oleg doesn't agree :D

TANK91 said:
That would be suicide to any hopes of a long carear surely. It would be 4GT's in a row. Contador never does two GT's in a row for two years running. If he lose's in the TDF i would hope he goes for the Giro/Vuelta for say 3 years. He would have a great shot with Quintana and Froome battling for the TDF. I think he will have too much pride though and will keep comming back to the TDF. I would like to see him win 5 Vuelta's personally(break Heras record).

:rolleyes: yea of course you want him to go for the Vuelta instead of the Tour

Jelantik said:
Contador never once wins Dauphene. Whether that was on purpose or not, doesn't matter. What matter is I think, winning Dauphene isn't really his major objective (he'll take if it comes his way). I would think winning a stage especially the mountain top finish is most important goal because it helps giving him an indication how he fares against Froome. I don't know what to expect for this Dauphene. His DS comment on TS website doesn't really sound like a confidence. It's more like downplay and see day by day kinda approach. So it's hard to tell what contador form looks like actually. On the other hand, Froome seems to be proclaiming that he is back better than last year. So I'm anxious.
There probably used to be clinic related reasons for this. Anyway, perhaps this have now changed. I certainly hope Contador can beat Froome. Contador is much easier to chear for.But I don't believe it will happen. Not now, and not in the tour. My hopes for someone to beat Froome in July, is for Horner to show up in Vuelta shape:D:D

TRENDING THREADS